Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2011, 11:22 AM

6,836 posts, read 15,406,624 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
while I think the comments were ill advised, Philly and Chciago are both pretty comparable on crime rate actually, good news is both are getting better

Crime in Philly is down dramtically over the last 10 years, much like what happened in NYC a decade ago
true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2011, 11:23 AM

4,745 posts, read 5,570,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface713 View Post

I know right. These people are mad.
Mad about what? Not being super-wealthy like yourself?

Plus, you don't know anything about Chicago anyway. You actually thought that the poverty rate in Houston was significantly lower than Chicago's...lol.

Old 02-18-2011, 11:25 AM

17,531 posts, read 24,693,227 times
When I was a child Philadelphia was the third largest city behind New York and Chicago and it had about that many people

Old 02-18-2011, 11:26 AM

9,221 posts, read 15,952,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago South Sider View Post
Mad about what?
I have no idea why you guys are mad. You explain to me why you are in the Houston forum, spreading a lot of off the wall comments. I'm going to go dig up those photos I've found on Chicago's South side. It looks almost no different than Detroit. Before more whining occurs after this post, I don't mean Chicago's ENTIRE south side. People really have their blinders on.

Quote:
Not being super-wealthy like yourself?
LMAO.

http://hatersgonnahatepics.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/Haters-Gonna-Hate-Pink-Suite.jpg (broken link)

Old 02-18-2011, 11:29 AM

Quote:
I have no idea why you guys are mad. You explain to me why you are in the Houston forum, spreading a lot of off the wall comments. I'm going to go dig up those photos I've found on Chicago's South side. It looks almost no different than Detroit. Before more whining occurs after this post, I don't mean Chicago's ENTIRE south side. People really have their blinders on.
Off the wall comments like Houston and Chicago having similar poverty rates? BTW, after you post photos of the rough parts of the south side why not post photos of Houston's 5th ward?

Old 02-18-2011, 11:36 AM

5,993 posts, read 10,187,810 times
Quote:
Why do people make sweeping generalizations and the get suprised when people take their words at face value? That's a better question.
It's called semantics. Have you ever said "Chicago is a cool city", just to find that somebody reminded you that not ALL parts of Chicago are cool. Was that really the point? No.

Old 02-18-2011, 11:38 AM

9,221 posts, read 15,952,147 times
Quote:
Why do people make sweeping generalizations and the get suprised when people take their words at face value? That's a better question.
Seriously? Look who's talking.

Quote:
Off the wall comments like Houston and Chicago having similar poverty rates? BTW, after you post photos of the rough parts of the south side why not post photos of Houston's 5th ward?
No. Saying dumb things like this:

Quote:
Folks from Houston are just concerned about how many people they can put in the 579 square mile city. Things like transit, quality growth, walkability, etc. aren't really a concern.
And look at your first post in that thread. It's like you had an agenda. And sure, I'll post those pictures of Houston's Fifth Ward on here (I see what you're trying to do here and it is amusing, tbh).

Old 02-18-2011, 11:53 AM

6,485 posts, read 12,533,057 times
Quote:
I'm going to go dig up those photos I've found on Chicago's South side. It looks almost no different than Detroit.
Have you visited both cities? I'm no big fan of Chicago's south side, but I just don't see the comparison. Chicago's south side is gritty as hell in parts, but it's at least habitable.

Old 02-18-2011, 12:20 PM

922 posts, read 1,697,900 times
Quote:
I'm going to go dig up those photos I've found on Chicago's South side. It looks almost no different than Detroit.

lol, and I thought the people posting in the "most visually ghetto" threads where bad, Oh I'm gonna find a pic up a beat up house and that depicts a whole city.

Quote:

Houston posters are well known to post about other cities failures but dismiss theirs, especially in other city forums.

Old 02-18-2011, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
It's called semantics. Have you ever said "Chicago is a cool city", just to find that somebody reminded you that not ALL parts of Chicago are cool. Was that really the point? No.
You just don't get it, do you? Saying Chicago is a cool city is a generally true statement. Saying the south side is a giant ghetto is not generally a true statement. I suppose that what you're saying is that the south side is generally a dump for the most part with a couple of decent areas. I guess you should steer clear of it then. Something horrible might happen to you if you don't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City