Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2011, 08:52 AM

2,563 posts, read 6,058,038 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
What do skylines have to do with the feel of the downtowns?
If you read the post I quoted he says that downtown LA is denser. Downtown Miami is both smaller and has more buildings and more total floors which last I checked is what determines density. That and downtown LA has 30,000 people living in it. downtown Miami has 70,000 people living in it. Both of which are the two points I made and both of which I think have to do with downtowns.

Last edited by EndersDrift; 02-22-2011 at 09:13 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2011, 08:53 AM

18,495 posts, read 32,943,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Houston has its Old Chinatown in Downtown like LA as well as a Little Saigon (which LA does not have in its downtown) in bordering Midtown. Those are some street level similarities.

There are even exit signs over the freeway that say Chinatown exit.

In Houston's Little Saigon the street signs are written in both English & Vietnamese.
Little Saigon was hit hard in the last 5 years and it is far from as vibrant as it used to be. A lot of the restaurants and markets have moved to New China Town

Old 02-22-2011, 09:07 AM

12,498 posts, read 26,987,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
Little Saigon was hit hard in the last 5 years and it is far from as vibrant as it used to be. A lot of the restaurants and markets have moved to New China Town
Yeah Little Saigon is a shell of its former self, but some businesses have stayed & are making it despite higher property taxes in the area. A few Pho restaurants & tapioca places are about all thats left.

Did they ever rebuild Mai's from that devastating fire a couple of years back? It used to be THE place to dine in Midtown at 2 am after the clubs closed.

Old 02-22-2011, 09:16 AM

Actually though Dallas might be too small a downtown. It looks like LA is actually closest to Atlanta in downtown areas.

Old 02-22-2011, 09:34 AM

940 posts, read 2,027,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EndersDrift View Post
If you read the post I quoted he says that downtown LA is denser. Downtown Miami is both smaller and has more buildings and more total floors which last I checked is what determines density. That and downtown LA has 30,000 people living in it. downtown Miami has 70,000 people living in it. Both of which are the two points I made and both of which I think have to do with downtowns.
Again, I've never been to Miami, but what I've seen in pictures, on streetview, etc. doesn't feel like a classic "downtown" except on flagler and the 1sts. Downtown LA is pretty classic as downtowns go (consistent streetwalls, bustling sidewalks, mixed uses, etc.), so I'm trying to find another classic downtown that is about the same size/feel. Downtown Miami appears to be linear, with the majority of the larger buildings along the ocean and along brickell ave., and the orientation is more toward cars than pedestrians (large setbacks, no ground-floor retail). This type of development pattern is more like LA's wilshire blvd. (but with larger buildings than wilshire).

In other words, downtown miami and downtown LA seem to be apples and oranges outside of Miami's historic downtown.

Old 02-22-2011, 09:54 AM

940 posts, read 2,027,155 times
Also, just took a look again at that skyline ranking page and it doesn't count buildings under 295 ft. (about 25 floors). Most of DTLA's buildings are much smaller than that, due to a height limit that was in place between 1904-1957 that capped buildings at 150ft. The historic core in LA is therefore mostly around 10-15 story buildings, similar to a downtown like Washington DC, which also has height limits. (note that DC comes in lower than Birmingham and SLC on that list... I don't think anyone would argue that those cities feel like they have "bigger" downtowns than DC).

Old 02-22-2011, 09:57 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,910,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Houston has its Old Chinatown in Downtown like LA as well as a Little Saigon (which LA does not have in its downtown) in bordering Midtown. Those are some street level similarities.

There are even exit signs over the freeway that say Chinatown exit.

In Houston's Little Saigon the street signs are written in both English & Vietnamese.

Just about every kind of direction or map in downtown itself has a Spanish, Vietnamese, & Chinese translation.

Little Saigon

That second picture is exactly the point, that feels nothing like the street density in the other cities being discussed

even the first with the surface lot frontage to building is something that just doesnt exist in dense cities I think that is what people are getting at

Old 02-22-2011, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dweebo2220 View Post
Again, I've never been to Miami, but what I've seen in pictures, on streetview, etc. doesn't feel like a classic "downtown" except on flagler and the 1sts. Downtown LA is pretty classic as downtowns go (consistent streetwalls, bustling sidewalks, mixed uses, etc.), so I'm trying to find another classic downtown that is about the same size/feel. Downtown Miami appears to be linear, with the majority of the larger buildings along the ocean and along brickell ave., and the orientation is more toward cars than pedestrians (large setbacks, no ground-floor retail). This type of development pattern is more like LA's wilshire blvd. (but with larger buildings than wilshire).

In other words, downtown miami and downtown LA seem to be apples and oranges outside of Miami's historic downtown.
You do realize my point is that Miami and LA are nothing alike? If you agree with that than I'm not sure why we're arguing. People on the first page said they are alike.

Old 02-22-2011, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dweebo2220 View Post
Also, just took a look again at that skyline ranking page and it doesn't count buildings under 295 ft. (about 25 floors). Most of DTLA's buildings are much smaller than that, due to a height limit that was in place between 1904-1957 that capped buildings at 150ft. The historic core in LA is therefore mostly around 10-15 story buildings, similar to a downtown like Washington DC, which also has height limits. (note that DC comes in lower than Birmingham and SLC on that list... I don't think anyone would argue that those cities feel like they have "bigger" downtowns than DC).

I agree, this is why cities like LA or Philly or Boston rank lower yet have a more compressed and developed downtown, at the street level it is extemely evident

Old 02-22-2011, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EndersDrift View Post
You do realize my point is that Miami and LA are nothing alike? If you agree with that than I'm not sure why we're arguing. People on the first page said they are alike.

Yes I agree on Miami (Miami is actually preety unique on feel in the US in my opinion), I think someone said Atlanta, which to me makes moe sense, or even somewhere between Atlanta and Philly on the developed space and feel
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City