Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2011, 10:17 AM

940 posts, read 2,027,155 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EndersDrift View Post
You do realize my point is that Miami and LA are nothing alike? If you agree with that than I'm not sure why we're arguing. People on the first page said they are alike.
I completely agree that they are nothing alike. Myself and others were continuing with the assumption that you were trying to back up this claim:

Quote:
No. No its not. Miami is far more urban than LA in the downtown area. LA is more like Dallas.
While "urban" is decidedly a subjective concept, it is much more common to hear a place like downtown LA described as "urban" than downtown Miami (for the reasons I referenced earlier such as pedestrian scale, mixed uses, etc.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2011, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Yes I agree on Miami (Miami is actually preety unique on feel in the US in my opinion), I think someone said Atlanta, which to me makes moe sense, or even somewhere between Atlanta and Philly on the developed space and feel
I like Atlanta <-> Philly. That seems to make some sense to me. There seems to be a wide range there, though.

Seattle still feels most appropriate, but I haven't spent much time in Atlanta.

Old 02-22-2011, 10:32 AM

5,864 posts, read 15,240,802 times
After living in Seattle and now L.A. I find the 2 downtowns totally different. Dt L.A is grittier, older and much bigger. It really reminds me of an old east coast downtown. Dt Seattle is much more compact, newer with trendy highend retail like Gucci, flagship Nordstrom, Louie Vitton, St. John, Michael Kors and Tiffanys. Not much of that kind of retail in dt L.A. but tons of retail along Broadway and the fashion district. Look at dt residential. Again totallyopposite. Dt Seattle mostly newer and modern. Dt L.A., some new with lots of old. L.A. people who continue to say dt is dead need to take a trip and check it out. I love it!

Old 02-22-2011, 10:41 AM

San Francisco on Market St. feels a lot like Broadway to me, but the rest of downtown SF is a bit grander.. It might be a closer comparison than others in terms of actual buildings and area (But SF has a lot more residential around DT that makes the whole downtown area feel bigger by extension).

Old 02-22-2011, 10:45 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,910,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dweebo2220 View Post
San Francisco on Market St. feels a lot like Broadway to me, but the rest of downtown SF is a bit grander.. It might be a closer comparison than others in terms of actual buildings and area (But SF has a lot more residential around DT that makes the whole downtown area feel bigger by extension).

I think that is the biggest factor on why LA doesnt always get more credibility, it is very developed but lack in residential compared to a Boston/SF/Philly - it is more similar to Atlanta on this factor, Atlanta is another in the Sunbelt that has great potential downtown and seems to be getting better alll the time, it is more developed in a dense fashin downtown relative to Houston and Dallas IMHO

Old 02-22-2011, 11:18 AM

2,563 posts, read 6,058,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dweebo2220 View Post
I completely agree that they are nothing alike. Myself and others were continuing with the assumption that you were trying to back up this claim:

While "urban" is decidedly a subjective concept, it is much more common to hear a place like downtown LA described as "urban" than downtown Miami (for the reasons I referenced earlier such as pedestrian scale, mixed uses, etc.)
Miami has a ton of mixed use and urbanity just because its not old and looks gritty doesn't mean its not dense. I gave you the numbers. Even if you look past buildings and try to argue that Miami has more skyscrapers but LA has more low rises in the downtown core that doesn't hold water because a skyrise has more floors than a low rise. Miami is full of both high rises and low rises. Look at population in downtown areas and Miami has twice the number of people living in its downtown core than Los Angeles.

So they are nothing alike, LA is a traditional in the sense it is older and gritty and a core area. Miami is denser, has more people, and follows the coastline unlike much cities that are more circular in nature.

Old 02-22-2011, 11:27 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,910,924 times
The thing about Miami is even though there are a lot of people, many of those highrises have people that take the elevator to the parking garage and drive out of the building, not always the case and it seems to be changing but for the number of people the street level pedestrian level is very to me.

Miami to me is different than just about every city downtown, I have trouble putting my finger on it specifically but it is a dense core with a driving mentaliy in many ways relative to the built up space and population. It also looks and feels very different to me. I love Miami, truly, but it is very hard to draw similarities to any other city of any scale in the US, at least to me, I know some will disagree

Old 02-22-2011, 11:36 AM

292 posts, read 752,719 times
Quote:
Actually though Dallas might be too small a downtown. It looks like LA is actually closest to Atlanta in downtown areas.
You are totally off-base here. Downtown LA far surpasses downtown Atlanta in terms of vibrancy, density, big-city feel, etc. And it definitely surpasses Miami as well. Miami may have lots of condo density, but no one in their right mind who has been to both downtowns can tell you LA doesn't have a more urban, hectic feel.

8,485 posts, read 14,994,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
The thing about Miami is even though there are a lot of people, many of those highrises have people that take the elevator to the parking garage and drive out of the building, not always the case and it seems to be changing but for the number of people the street level pedestrian level is very to me.

Miami to me is different than just about every city downtown, I have trouble putting my finger on it specifically but it is a dense core with a driving mentaliy in many ways relative to the built up space and population. It also looks and feels very different to me. I love Miami, truly, but it is very hard to draw similarities to any other city of any scale in the US, at least to me, I know some will disagree
Downtown Miami reminds me a lot of a less crowded and populated Makati. Except Miami is way way cleaner.

Ayala Avenue in Makati

Brickell

Last edited by waronxmas; 02-22-2011 at 11:41 AM.. Reason: Correct image of Ayala Ave

36,655 posts, read 67,506,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
After living in Seattle and now L.A. I find the 2 downtowns totally different. Dt L.A is grittier, older and much bigger. It really reminds me of an old east coast downtown. Dt Seattle is much more compact, newer with trendy highend retail like Gucci, flagship Nordstrom, Louie Vitton, St. John, Michael Kors and Tiffanys. Not much of that kind of retail in dt L.A. but tons of retail along Broadway and the fashion district. Look at dt residential. Again totallyopposite. Dt Seattle mostly newer and modern. Dt L.A., some new with lots of old. L.A. people who continue to say dt is dead need to take a trip and check it out. I love it!
Yes, Downtown LA is not dead at all in fact its pretty vibrant, but its not upscale, which is okay I suppose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City