Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: SF Bay Area's position.
#2, Ahead of Washington 44 14.15%
#3, After Washington 39 12.54%
Neither 228 73.31%
Voters: 311. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2011, 10:19 AM

36,659 posts, read 67,539,821 times

Advertisements

Just saying...for all the dismissals of San Francisco-here were are, comparing San Francisco with Paris as far as so usually easy to decide as recognizability, and YET, both sides have incredibly valid points.

That speaks volumes about SF.

I think Americans themselves dont know that their domestic view is very different from what people in other parts of the world think. This almost indignant notion of "Paris is great and world reknowned, so therefore San Francisco cant also be great and world reknowned" is really wrong.

And in that vein, I cant count on 5 fingers the number of US cities that could possibly compare with either Paris or San Francisco as far as this particular issue(worldwide recognizability).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2011, 10:22 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,935,335 times
I will take these two and be pretty happy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3iB3nw0XSqo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGa0xTFChx8

Old 03-04-2011, 10:35 AM

184 posts, read 571,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by US-Traveller View Post
#1 New York, economic importance, 2nd most important global financial center after London

#2 Washington, the most influential political capital in the world

#3 Chicago, the nations largest transportation center and 2nd most important financial center in North America, the largest commodities market in the world

#4 Boston, North America's foremost educational and intellectual center, as well as one of the most important financial centers in North America

#5 Los Angeles, the world's entertainment capital and the nations 2nd largest urban economy

#6 SF Bay Area, the world's most important tech hub and one of America's most important financial centers, a private equity and venture capital powerhouse

#7 Houston, one of America's most international cities and North America's energy hub, strong connections to the Middle East

Honorable mention; Detroit, North American auto capital; Charlotte, 2nd largest consumer banking center; Miami, gateway to Latin America; Atlanta, 2nd largest transportation hub; sorry if I forgot anything

Agree with that list. Say no more.

Old 03-04-2011, 10:41 AM

184 posts, read 571,567 times
By the way Washington might be the 2nd most important city in the US. But who's in charge of Washington right now? Chicagoans .... The Secretary of State, Secretary of Education, White house Chief of Staff, First lady and of course The President of the United States are all from Chicago LOL It just shows Chicago's political influence in this country.

Old 03-04-2011, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmario_88 View Post
By the way Washington might be the 2nd most important city in the US. But who's in charge of Washington right now? Chicagoans .... The Secretary of State, Secretary of Education, White house Chief of Staff, First lady and of course The President of the United States are all from Chicago LOL It just shows Chicago's political influence in this country.

And a VP from Philly - well really Wilmington

Old 03-04-2011, 10:51 AM

672 posts, read 1,789,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by US-Traveller View Post
#1 New York, economic importance, 2nd most important global financial center after London

#2 Washington, the most influential political capital in the world

#3 Chicago, the nations largest transportation center and 2nd most important financial center in North America, the largest commodities market in the world

#4 Boston, North America's foremost educational and intellectual center, as well as one of the most important financial centers in North America

#5 Los Angeles, the world's entertainment capital and the nations 2nd largest urban economy

#6 SF Bay Area, the world's most important tech hub and one of America's most important financial centers, a private equity and venture capital powerhouse

#7 Houston, one of America's most international cities and North America's energy hub, strong connections to the Middle East

Honorable mention; Detroit, North American auto capital; Charlotte, 2nd largest consumer banking center; Miami, gateway to Latin America; Atlanta, 2nd largest transportation hub; sorry if I forgot anything
Not knocking your list, but I don't see how the likes of Chicago and Washington DC gets #2 and #3 so easily. Whereas SF Bay posters get attacked and called delusional for defending it up there when in fact the #s alone say we're there. Just sayin', why the double standard?

Clearly based on blind output #s the SF Bay is in conversation.

3. Washington-Baltimore-Northern Virginia, DC-MD-VA-WV CSA $550.549 Billion
4. San Jose-San Francisco-Oakland, CA CSA $535.327 Billion
5. Chicago-Naperville-Michigan City, IL-IN-WI CSA $515.119 Billion

*A $20 Billion edge on Chicagoland is pretty damn significant IMO.

You introduce beauty, recognizability, quality of living, modern day relevance, etc. You still have the SF Bay in the game. So I call for peace and the insults should stop.

Old 03-04-2011, 11:02 AM

818 posts, read 1,388,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhymes with Best Coast View Post
Clearly based on blind output #s the SF Bay is in conversation.
Do you really think output is the most important thing? Just sayin' other stuff out there to compare on

Old 03-04-2011, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous Past View Post
Do you really think output is the most important thing? Just sayin' other stuff out there to compare on

And even with that metric; isnt LA ahead which wasnt mentioned in the post - I believe in the 700-800Billion range for LA

Old 03-04-2011, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous Past View Post
It's the only quantifiable thing. So yes, I do place a great deal of importance on it. It cuts through a lot of the noise IMO.

Old 03-04-2011, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
And even with that metric; isnt LA ahead which wasnt mentioned in the post - I believe in the 700-800Billion range for LA
My point has nothing to do with LA. I believe LA to be a clear #2 BTW.

All I'm saying is why does DC or Chicago get a free pass when claimed at #2 or #3, while we in the SF Bay get attacked? When clearly, we are in the mix when you look at blind #s. Certain factors may put DC on top, others may put Chicago on top, but when we put the Bay Area on top, you guys sure go hard against us. Just stepped into this conversation and that's what I see is all.

Last edited by Rhymes with Best Coast; 03-04-2011 at 11:23 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City