Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Atlanta or Houston
Atlanta 196 50.26%
Houston 194 49.74%
Voters: 390. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2007, 08:59 PM

2,848 posts, read 6,436,974 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
I think you placed too much emphasis on air and rail. Those can be built anywhere.
Can be built anywhere but it makes more sense to build them close to the major cities they serve. Atlanta is closer to both the major cities of the North and Southeast. That's why it's always been a prefered railroad center and why it's has a popular airport.

Goods and people can be shipped more quickly to and from most major american cities from Atlanta by air or railroad than they can be shipped from Houston the same way or by ship.

Old 09-03-2007, 09:51 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,449,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galounger View Post
Can be built anywhere but it makes more sense to build them close to the major cities they serve. Atlanta is closer to both the major cities of the North and Southeast. That's why it's always been a prefered railroad center and why it's has a popular airport.

Goods and people can be shipped more quickly to and from most major american cities from Atlanta by air or railroad than they can be shipped from Houston the same way or by ship.
You mean to tell me that stuff from Atlanta can make it quicker to San Antonio, Dallas, New Orleans and the Western United States than from Houston?

You can put any city anywhere and build the railroad and air infrastructure but ports can only be on the coastline. Coastal cities have an advantage of having an additional transportation mode available. Goods tend to be cheaper in coastal cities than in inland cities.

Atlanta is a railroad hub? Do you know how slow railroads are? I really can't wait for high-speed rail like in Japan or Europe. Railroads are not that popular and will not be for a long time. They are starting to push it now but the pro-highway people are still trying to prevent competition.

Old 09-04-2007, 06:28 AM

2,848 posts, read 6,436,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
You mean to tell me that stuff from Atlanta can make it quicker to San Antonio, Dallas, New Orleans and the Western United States than from Houston?

Atlanta is a railroad hub? Do you know how slow railroads are? I really can't wait for high-speed rail like in Japan or Europe. Railroads are not that popular and will not be for a long time. They are starting to push it now but the pro-highway people are still trying to prevent competition.
As I stated before. Houston is closer to the cities West of the Mississippi but Atlanta is closer to most of those east. NewYork, Phili, D.C., Boston, Chicago, Cleveland, Cinncinnati, Nashville, Memphis, Miami (and the rest of Florida),Charlotte, Detroit, Pittsburg, Baltimore, etc. etc. are all much closer to Atlanta than Houston.

High speed rail is used to transfer people but not freight. Normal rail is still good for moving very large amounts of bulk freight. I'm very much in favor of using commuter rail in cities but high speed rail like used in Europe and Japan to move people around the country isn't as practical here in America where people are spread apart over much greater distances. Air travel is used here where high speed train is used there.

Old 09-04-2007, 10:26 AM

6,202 posts, read 11,449,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galounger View Post
High speed rail is used to transfer people but not freight.
Who says that it can be used only for passenger service not for freight?
Actually the excess cargo capacity can be used to transport items like the U.S. Mail. So it is an either/or situation. Either cargo vs. passenger or both.

Wasn't Hartsfield Airport the most congested airport in the United States? It seems to battle with O'Hare for the most congested airport.

Last edited by KerrTown; 09-04-2007 at 10:36 AM..

Old 09-06-2007, 11:28 PM

150 posts, read 688,934 times
This is absolutely ridiculous, you guys have been making the same points over and over again. Houston has 5.6 million Atlanta has 5.1. Thats still a big difference, and with the recent population trends Houston will keep its lead. I've been to Atlanta, it is very scenic, but doesnt feel as big as Houston. Houston has all those big buildings, the beach, i dont even feel like going on, i have nothing to prove, IMO Houston is alot more important. Before this thread i didnt even think people would compare these two cities, I thought it was a given that Houston was more important. Global City proves it for you guys! I see absolutely no point in even participating further in this pointless discussion. How about this comparison, Atlanta vs Charlotte? makes more sense to me.

Old 09-06-2007, 11:38 PM

572 posts, read 2,088,846 times
I didn't vote because "neither" isn't an option.

Old 09-07-2007, 11:21 AM

3,982 posts, read 10,460,647 times
i think these important questions have been overlooked

what city is more urban, allowing you a walking, care-free lifestyle?
which city is prettier?
who has the more breathable air?
which city is more likely to have babes that have "gone wild"?
which city produces the most college grads?
attracts the most?

Old 09-17-2007, 12:58 PM

3,073 posts, read 11,574,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalblue View Post
i think these important questions have been overlooked

what city is more urban, allowing you a walking, care-free lifestyle?
Sort of a tie: Houston is denser and quite a bit more developed, but Atlanta has a better public trans system

Quote:
which city is prettier?
Neither are really all that aesthetically pleasing to the eyes. They have the similar forest look (and similar trees. Especially the pines and kudzu), but Atlanta is more hilly, which makes it more attractive
Quote:
who has the more breathable air?
I'm guessing not Houston, due to its infamous plants.
Quote:
which city is more likely to have babes that have "gone wild"?
Whuh?
Quote:
which city produces the most college grads?
Houston, most likely
Quote:
attracts the most?
Good question.

Old 09-18-2007, 08:49 AM

30 posts, read 135,056 times
Which city is more important internationally? In the energy era, it's no contest. It's DC, NYC and then Houston - the most important cities in the country. You can argue for the benefit of other places (LA for entertainment or SEA or San Jose for technology), at $80 per barrel oil, Houston is more important.

It's about time people woke up to that fact.

Old 09-18-2007, 11:19 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,819,046 times
Both of those cities just make me think of bland, newer housing with no character and suburban sprawl. Give me an older city with character anyday like Philly, Pittsburgh, Boston, New York, Chicago, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City