Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which Country do you prefer to Live based on Criteria given?
Canada 40 16.53%
United States 202 83.47%
Voters: 242. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2017, 07:14 PM

2,272 posts, read 2,220,070 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRedTide View Post
The First Thing Canada offers is Cold Weather so that automatically takes it down a notch for me. Not like the U.S where you can just move to Florida or something, The Entire Country Is COLD no matter where you move, So that's strike against Canada for me, someone who doesn't like cold weather

Second the U.S has a answer for Everything Canadian , Canadian Bacon? Texas Bacon..Maple Syrup? Butter Pecan Syrup, Canadian FootBall League? NFL. Toronto? Chicago, Montreal ? New Orleans, Vancouver? Seattle , 1 trillion dollar economy? 20 trillion dollar economy, Ottawa? Washington DC , Calgary Edmonton Winnipeg? Denver Austin Charlotte, Artic Oil? Gulf of Mexico Oil, Canadian Health care? Obamacare, Canadian Rocky Mountains? American Rocky Mountains, Canadian Niagara Falls? American Niagara Falls , CN tower? Empire State Building, Ontario? California Quebec? Texas...lol US just Trumps Canada

thirdly Canada has NO ANSWER for a few things in the US.... What's Canada's answer for New York City???? Los Angeles?...... Orlando and Disney world??? .....Las Vegas???....Atlanta and it's Worlds Busiest Airport?? The Arch( St Louis) ??..... Miami??.....Miles and Miles of Warm Weather Year Round Beaches??....the White House??..... Silicon Valley??....Six Flags??.... SeaWorld??? ..MLB??... Nashville?? Grand Canyon??... Philly Cheese Steak Sandwich??.... Chicago Deep Dish Pizza??? BBQ??? San Francisco?? Boston?? ..The Superbowl?? Thanksgiving? .. Global Companies Such as Wal Mart?? McDonald's?? Coca-Cola?? GM ??? ..Ford?? .. ExxonMobil?? Google ??Face book??
How is Texas our answer to Quebec? I think Quebec is something that Canada offers that you can't get in the US. New Orleans probably comes closest because of the French influence, but I think New Orleans is more of its own unique thing.

Also, take this from someone that works in Healthcare: our system is ****ed and Canada's is far superior. Not in terms of quality, but how they handle billing and access to healthcare. I'm lucky enough to have a job that provides me with good benefits, but not everybody is, unfortunately.

Old 01-07-2017, 08:34 PM
BMI

7,454 posts, read 7,270,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragneel View Post
USA, no doubts.
Canada is a beautiful country, with opportunities.

But Canada lacks many United States things :
-It doesn't have sunny weather (Florida, California..)
-Miami is unique, nothing like that in Canada
-Silicon Valley
-Wall Street
-Diversity : Canada is diverse, but the USA is clearly more diverse.Minorities in Canada are mainly Asians, you can't find many blacks and hispanics (and Hispanics are very diverse themselves)

Kind of Jobs, weather, diversity...The USA is ahead in these areas.
Quote:
The First Thing Canada offers is Cold Weather so that automatically takes it down a notch for me. Not like the U.S where you can just move to Florida or something, The Entire Country Is COLD no matter where you move, So that's strike against Canada for me, someone who doesn't like cold weather

Second the U.S has a answer for Everything Canadian , Canadian Bacon? Texas Bacon..Maple Syrup? Butter Pecan Syrup, Canadian FootBall League? NFL. Toronto? Chicago, Montreal ? New Orleans, Vancouver? Seattle , 1 trillion dollar economy? 20 trillion dollar economy, Ottawa? Washington DC , Calgary Edmonton Winnipeg? Denver Austin Charlotte, Artic Oil? Gulf of Mexico Oil, Canadian Health care? Obamacare, Canadian Rocky Mountains? American Rocky Mountains, Canadian Niagara Falls? American Niagara Falls , CN tower? Empire State Building, Ontario? California Quebec? Texas...lol US just Trumps Canada

thirdly Canada has NO ANSWER for a few things in the US.... What's Canada's answer for New York City???? Los Angeles?...... Orlando and Disney world??? .....Las Vegas???....Atlanta and it's Worlds Busiest Airport?? The Arch( St Louis) ??..... Miami??.....Miles and Miles of Warm Weather Year Round Beaches??....the White House??..... Silicon Valley??....Six Flags??.... SeaWorld??? ..MLB??... Nashville?? Grand Canyon??... Philly Cheese Steak Sandwich??.... Chicago Deep Dish Pizza??? BBQ??? San Francisco?? Boston?? ..The Superbowl?? Thanksgiving? .. Global Companies Such as Wal Mart?? McDonald's?? Coca-Cola?? GM ??? ..Ford?? .. ExxonMobil?? Google ??Face book??
Nice rant...hopefully tongue and cheek

Canada has no answer to MLB...ever heard of the Toronto Blues Jays?
Canada has no answer to Sea World?....we have Marineland in Niagara Falls, Ontario,
does that count?
No St. Louis Arch? ...no offense...who cares? CN Tower blows it off the map anyway.
Slight exaggeration on the miles of YEAR round beaches...I guess you mean you can
swim all year round...USA has a bit...south Florida and Hawaii and that's it...too cold
everywhere else ....need a wet suit....Canada does have miles of beaches too...google PEI
Philly Cheese Steak Sandwich...come on, you're really reaching with that one.
We have no Coca-Cola, McDonald's....GM ....Ford.... just ate at McDonalds earlier today
and had a Coke ....drove there in my Ford car...GM,Ford, and Chrysler all have plants in
Canada....there is a good chance your car was built in Canada ...better check the VIN
BBQ? Seriously....only USA has BBQ....news to me
Worlds busiest airport...that's something to brag about?
Thanksgiving? ....uh...we have Thanksgiving ...it's a month earlier in october

Old 01-07-2017, 10:11 PM

1,732 posts, read 1,892,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by That_One_Guy View Post
How is Texas our answer to Quebec? I think Quebec is something that Canada offers that you can't get in the US. New Orleans probably comes closest because of the French influence, but I think New Orleans is more of its own unique thing.

Also, take this from someone that works in Healthcare: our system is ****ed and Canada's is far superior. Not in terms of quality, but how they handle billing and access to healthcare. I'm lucky enough to have a job that provides me with good benefits, but not everybody is, unfortunately.
Big (Quebec is Canadas 2nd biggest in land and population jus like Texas) Cultural District and has a Independence Movement

Old 01-07-2017, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMI View Post
Nice rant...hopefully tongue and cheek

Canada has no answer to MLB...ever heard of the Toronto Blues Jays?
Canada has no answer to Sea World?....we have Marineland in Niagara Falls, Ontario,
does that count?
No St. Louis Arch? ...no offense...who cares? CN Tower blows it off the map anyway.
Slight exaggeration on the miles of YEAR round beaches...I guess you mean you can
swim all year round...USA has a bit...south Florida and Hawaii and that's it...too cold
everywhere else ....need a wet suit....Canada does have miles of beaches too...google PEI
Philly Cheese Steak Sandwich...come on, you're really reaching with that one.
We have no Coca-Cola, McDonald's....GM ....Ford.... just ate at McDonalds earlier today
and had a Coke ....drove there in my Ford car...GM,Ford, and Chrysler all have plants in
Canada....there is a good chance your car was built in Canada ...better check the VIN
BBQ? Seriously....only USA has BBQ....news to me
Worlds busiest airport...that's something to brag about?
Thanksgiving? ....uh...we have Thanksgiving ...it's a month earlier in october
I doubt that, I drive a Mitsubishi Galant ...You missed the whole Point entirely, Of Course Canada has A McDonald's and A MLB team Of Course you can drive a Ford there and get BBQ The Point was Canada doesnt have the GLOBAL HEADQUARTERS of Non of these Companies and Doesn't have A Signature food such as BBQ besides Canadian Bacon and Maple Syrup perhaps. I can't name a single influential Iconic Canadian Company such as McDonald's or Coca-Cola, Name a Single Canadian Company that has Influence over the United States

Old 01-07-2017, 11:14 PM

605 posts, read 669,565 times
Quote:
I doubt that, I drive a Mitsubishi Galant ...You missed the whole Point entirely, Of Course Canada has A McDonald's and A MLB team Of Course you can drive a Ford there and get BBQ The Point was Canada doesnt have the GLOBAL HEADQUARTERS of Non of these Companies and Doesn't have A Signature food such as BBQ besides Canadian Bacon and Maple Syrup perhaps. I can't name a single influential Iconic Canadian Company such as McDonald's or Coca-Cola, Name a Single Canadian Company that has Influence over the United States
For starters there is Tim Hortons which is a donut/coffeeshop chain that originated in Canada and now has stores in some US states (noteably in states that border Canada such as Maine, New York, and Michigan) plus they recently bought out Burger King which means they are now in control of that company. In addition there is Quebec based Bombardier which manufactures airplanes and passenger trains (some of which are used by US Airlines like Delta, Amtrak, or New York City's Subway). Lululemon Athletica which is a major athletic apparel company is also based in Vancouver and has stores throughout the US. Magna International which is based in Ontario manufactures auto parts that are used in numerous vehicles including Toyota, GM, Ford, and Volkswagen products. Circle K convenience stores are owned by Alimentation Couche-Tard which is based in Quebec. I could go on but I think anyone with average intelligence will get the picture.

Old 01-08-2017, 12:48 PM

615 posts, read 599,772 times
Quote:
Poutine is a signature Canadian food.

TD banks taking over NYC: All Those Banks in New York City? It's Our Fault - WSJ

Tim Hortons growing in USA https://www.timhortons.com/ca/en/cor...se.php?id=7589

Drake and OVO?

Bombardier makes the learjet.

RIM has/had the Blackberry.

The Four Seasons hotel is based in Toronto.

Old 01-08-2017, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Burns View Post

TD banks taking over NYC: All Those Banks in New York City? It's Our Fault - WSJ

Tim Hortons growing in USA https://www.timhortons.com/ca/en/cor...se.php?id=7589

Drake and OVO?

Oh Really Well I'm gonna have to look that up. Circle K is Canadian??..Hmm gonna have too look that up too..

Old 01-08-2017, 01:12 PM

1,982 posts, read 2,089,310 times
Quote:

Drake and OVO?

Honestly, I've only really heard of the last three, and Blackberry is sort of a shadow of what it once was, having been sold off. Canada doesn't even have more signature companies than California or Texas, despite having a similar population to California.

Old 01-08-2017, 01:20 PM

615 posts, read 599,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parhe View Post
Honestly, I've only really heard of the last three, and Blackberry is sort of a shadow of what it once was, having been sold off. Canada doesn't even have more signature companies than California or Texas, despite having a similar population to California.
They are many signature Canadian companies to Canadians, but that's the consequence of being a separate country.

When I was in NYC TD banks were everywhere, including across from Grand Central Station and right next to the Flatiron building. It's weird because the ubiquitous green TD logo is a staple of Canadian cities, and it was fun seeing Toronto's financial influence extend so far and so prominently into the USA's financial capital.

Old 01-08-2017, 01:36 PM

2,272 posts, read 2,220,070 times
Quote:
They are many signature Canadian companies to Canadians, but that's the consequence of being a separate country.

When I was in NYC TD banks were everywhere, including across from Grand Central Station and right next to the Flatiron building. It's weird because the ubiquitous green TD logo is a staple of Canadian cities, and it was fun seeing Toronto's financial influence extend so far and so prominently into the USA's financial capital.
This is definitely true. But to be fair, we have banks from everywhere in NYC. It's part of being such an international city and huge financial capital. We have banks from China, Japan, Indonesia, South Africa, you name it.

TD does seem to be growing though. I believe they're even in Jersey now too. But I wouldn't say that TD dominates NYC though. I think Bank of America and Citi Bank might be in the top 2 for NYC. Then maybe HSBC, Chase, and Capital One after that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City