Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Cleveland or St. Louis
Cleveland 68 39.08%
St. Louis 106 60.92%
Voters: 174. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2007, 11:03 AM

2,367 posts, read 7,652,142 times

Advertisements

Cleveland needs help from its suburbs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2007, 11:52 AM

3,742 posts, read 8,391,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTownNative View Post
Cleveland needs help from its suburbs.
ummm....don't the suburbs pay to keep the city in the shape? they are part of the same county, correct? St. Louis needs more help from its suburbs. St. Louis and its suburbs are in different counties, which means the suburbanites don't have to pay for anything regarding St. Louis City...Cleveland should not be complaining about this. St. Louis is really two different counties...St. Louis City, which has to be the tiniest county in the country, and St. Louis County. Cleveland and its suburbs=Cuyahoga County. Regardless, I agree...both of these cities need facelifts.

Old 07-31-2007, 11:59 AM

The suburbs of Cleveland don't help out that much,they don't pay as much taxes as Cleveland.I think Cleveland and STL need to merge with there suburbs.People stay away from these cities when they see the crime rate and poverty of the city.But they also stay away from the metro area period.Just because of these stats that don't really show for the whole metro.These are actually pretty safe metros as a whole.I here about how many dangerous areas there are in NYC and people still move there.The suburbs of these Midwest cities,Cleveland,St. Louis,Detroit are actually safe.

Old 07-31-2007, 12:04 PM

3,742 posts, read 8,391,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTownNative View Post
The suburbs of Cleveland don't help out that much,they don't pay as much taxes as Cleveland.I think Cleveland and STL need to merge with there suburbs.People stay away from these cities when they see the crime rate and poverty of the city.But they also stay away from the metro area period.Just because of these stats that don't really show for the whole metro.These are actually pretty safe metros as a whole.I here about how many dangerous areas there are in NYC and people still move there.The suburbs of these Midwest cities,Cleveland,St. Louis,Detroit are actually safe.
Only problem is, we are probably in a minority of people who'd be willing to pay more taxes to help fix up the city....you'd likely hear a lot of opposition from the suburbs in increasing their tax bills. And yes, I agree, the metros are all very safe. These three cities get too much bad rap for their crime. they are overrated in that area as far as i am concerned.

Old 07-31-2007, 12:11 PM

And it probably wouldn't even be that big of a tax increase at that.Even if I move to Detroit,Id still be willing to pay a little bit higher for taxes if it will help the city.Only bad thing alot of these local governments wouldn't know what to do with the money,so they'd probably end up wasteing it.

Old 07-31-2007, 03:07 PM

609 posts, read 2,921,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf131 View Post
ummm....don't the suburbs pay to keep the city in the shape? they are part of the same county, correct? St. Louis needs more help from its suburbs. St. Louis and its suburbs are in different counties, which means the suburbanites don't have to pay for anything regarding St. Louis City...Cleveland should not be complaining about this. St. Louis is really two different counties...St. Louis City, which has to be the tiniest county in the country, and St. Louis County. Cleveland and its suburbs=Cuyahoga County. Regardless, I agree...both of these cities need facelifts.
Yep. St. Louis is only a handful of places in which the city proper does not belong to the county. It is today viewed as a wrong move as STL had the option to join the county some years ago.

Oh well.

Old 08-02-2007, 08:57 AM

285 posts, read 1,067,947 times
Can we go back to my post pointing out what moronic arguments Jake2516 makes? Everyone, and I mean everyone, on this forum can tell he is a 15 or 16 year old kid. Can anyone else picture him covering his ears, closing his eyes, laying on the floor kicking and yelling while you are trying to explain why there is nothing wrong with St. Louis?

He said he looked at St. Louis on Google Earth. Wow..and thats how you made your decision?

I just looked at your house on Google Earth...and dude...ITS A BOX! What a skanky house! It was just like, this brown square on the map! It must be nasty!

Old 08-02-2007, 08:59 AM

LOL.Too funny.

Old 08-02-2007, 12:21 PM

572 posts, read 1,994,939 times
Juice, I agree with you. Most of Jake's points are ridiculous, unfounded and without any real thought. How many cities has he visited? How much research has he really done to have a valid opinion about anything? His horrendous grammar tells me a whole lot about him.

Old 08-05-2007, 09:40 PM

4,522 posts, read 5,093,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metroplex2003 View Post
Overall, I think St. Louis has more character than Cleveland. Yes Cleveland and St. Louis has its Italian districts, but I still give it to St. Louis' "The Hill".

But I do strongly believe St. Louis has more unique neighborhoods than Cleveland. STL has got Wash Ave. Loft District, Lafayette Sq. (French Quarters), The Hill (Italian neighborhood), Central West End (Trendy cafes/bars), Grand Ave Int'l District (predom Thai and Vietnamese), Olive Blvd. Chinese District, West Port Plaza entertainment district, downtown Clayton (upscale dining), the Loop, etc.

St. Louis may not have Lake Erie, but Forest Park is a great and amazing park that offers so many things to do including the free Art Museum, free St. Louis Zoo, free Missouri History Museum, Free Science center, plus tennis, boating, etc.

Overall, I like St. Louis' weather better. Overall, more days of sunshine, less lake effect snow.

Sportswise, both are baseball tradition heavy cities, but you have to hand it to the Cards...only 2nd to the Yankees in most number of World Series wins. The Rams have won the superbowl, and are looking to contend again. The Blues have always been decent.

Retail wise, I do feel St. Louis has more options, though not a big fan of shopping.

Higher Education: Wash U wins hands down vs. Case Western. Wash U is a top 10-11 school every year for the past several years now. Its medical school still remains the hardest to get into in the country with the highest overall average MCAT. Its undergrad is also one of the hardest to get into as well. Cleveland Clinic does size up well to Wash U in terms of its medical contributions.

Now not to completely ignore Cleveland, it is a nice city too. Its Warehouse district is interesting. It does have the world reknowned Rock and Roll hall of fame. It does have Lake Erie, which is one of the great lakes and one of the largest lakes in the world. It's close by more population centers such as Detroit Metro, Columbus Metro, and Pittsburgh Metro. Cleveland also seems to have a more lively downtown than St. Louis, which is trying to revitalize theirs.

But St. Louis does have a 2nd downtown skyline in Clayton, which is prospering.

Historically, St. Louis has played a major role in American history. It was the 4th largest city at the beginning of the 20th century. It also is where the Louisiana Purchase was signed, and it was the starting point for the famous Lewis and Clark Expedition.

Overall, I give it to St. Louis. St. Louis MSA is bigger, it's a hub of the world's largest airline: American, and a 2ndary hub for Southwest. It has easy access to the Ozarks. It's historical. It has character.
Metroplex, I'm glad you give Cleveland some credit (but what was that Shakespeare said about "... damning with faint praise?")... But I think you need to get out a little more, here, for Cleveland has more than just the Warehouse Dist and the R&RHOF... Have you been to some really unique places/neighborhoods in Cleveland?

You failed to mention University Circle, a beautiful old park-like mega-plex of Case Western, museums (our renowned Art and Natural History ones, among them)... next door is Little Italy, one that beats similar areas in NYC or Chicago... Can St. Louis match? What about the Lakewood Gold Coast, which itself is a beautiful mini version of Chicago's -- nearby is an entertainment district with a lot of shops and restaurants -- a number which are 24-hour. Or how about Ohio City -- do you have any market like our unique and gorgeous/quirky West Side Market... Or how about Shaker Square, the 2nd oldest suburban shopping center, which is highly walkable with old apartments/condos and a high-speed light rail train (the "Rapid") whisking you downtown in 12 mins?

Or how about Coventry in Cleveland Heights, with a lot of energy and counterculture bohemian-ism as Greenwich Village...

And even downtown, you failed to mention such places as the Arcade -- built 1890 as the 2nd oldest indoor mall in the nation and the surprising Gateway area, a unique rehabbed old street with tons of apartments, condos, restaurants, live music venues (including a House of Blues) and even a new bowling alley/martini bar game palace.... Or how about Tower City, centered on the old Terminal Tower/Union Station development that's one of the largest mixed-use complexes in the Nation and has been expanded to include 2 hotels, over 2-million sq. ft of office space, an 11-screen movie theater plus tunnels connection the central subway rapid transit station indoors along with an indoor walkway connecting to the Q arena (Cavs' home) and adjacent Jacobs Field (Indians' home).

I could go on, but it seems you missed just a few things... but thanks for the, er, compliment, nonetheless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City