Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: ...........
Agree 65 27.90%
Disagree 168 72.10%
Voters: 233. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2011, 08:20 PM

1,937 posts, read 4,708,767 times

Advertisements

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2011, 05:25 AM

43 posts, read 89,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soug View Post
I was in Guiyang, China this summer and a local hotel worker asked me where I was from. I said Philadelphia and he immediately recognized it (and then asked me about basketball ha). And this is a city in southwestern China where the people had trouble understanding our colleague's Mandarin because the local dialect is so different. So no, I don't think an American city's recognition around the world depends on where the country is or what its connections to the US are.
Just because someone know where Philly is doesnt mean people around the world know it. I live in UK and know plenty of people who dont know philly and think that Ny is the capital of US. Maybe that chinese guy knrw philly but didnt know Miami or Phoenix.

Old 04-24-2011, 10:32 AM

9,378 posts, read 9,326,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by borat4eva View Post
Just because someone know where Philly is doesnt mean people around the world know it. I live in UK and know plenty of people who dont know philly and think that Ny is the capital of US. Maybe that chinese guy knrw philly but didnt know Miami or Phoenix.

That could go for any major american city. From my experience people from other nations are really only familar with east coast cities, and west coast cites, cities in the middle of the nation arent thought about to many foreigners.

Old 06-17-2011, 02:55 PM

113 posts, read 296,903 times
New York
Chicago
Boston
San Francisco
Denver

Old 06-17-2011, 03:40 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,291,623 times
Not one southern city? It's a huge region of the US to leave out in a list that represents the US.

Old 06-17-2011, 07:51 PM

996 posts, read 1,896,356 times
New York City (International Culture)
Boston or Philly ( American History and Northeast)
Washington D.C. (American History + U.S. Capital)
Los Angeles (Glamour, fame)
Houston (Southern Culture, New America)

Old 06-17-2011, 10:38 PM

1,800 posts, read 3,911,349 times
NY- In a lot of respects, NY is the capitol of the US to Americans and to outsiders, it represents America. Most immigrants came thru NY, it was where dreams were made. People marvel at the massive skyscrapers, loud noises, hustle and bustle, lots of cultures in a melting pot, tons of cultural history, which represents America.

DC- NY definitely is more recognized by Americans and non Americans alike, but it is quite magnificant to drive on Constitution Avenue and see the Lincoln Memorial, Washington Monument, and finally the US Capitol.

Chicago- Historically, Chicago was and still is the 2nd most important city. Across the globe, people know Chicago as the gangster city of Capone. The Chicago Bulls are a household name. People still love Michael Jordan. It also represents American industry, it is still the #1 manufacturing center in the US. Plus, a lot of Middle Americans don't feel as intimidated by Chicago as they do in the East Coast cities.

LA- Hollywood and pop culture. Even before the 1990s explosion of the internet which made following celebs so much easier, Hollywood always was the mechanism for showing America around the world. There are few more well recognized locations in the world than the Hollywood sign.

Las Vegas- The reason I chose Las Vegas over Houston is because again, Las Vegas is cultural. Millions of visitors go to Las Vegas every year to experience the Strip. There are no other "downtowns" like the Strip. You don't just have tall buildings like NYC and Chicago, but you have well designed and decorated structures. I mean, it's a place where they have Paris and New York down the street from each other. Las Vegas is a microcosm of America, where everyone comes together to do the same thing (gamble, drink, enjoy) from all over the country without respect to occupaton, ethnicity, geography...

Old 06-20-2011, 08:30 PM

285 posts, read 437,736 times
Los Angeles
New York
Chicago
San Francisco
DC

Old 06-20-2011, 08:37 PM

24 posts, read 49,389 times
You must include Boston of Philly in this list

Old 06-22-2011, 02:27 PM

11,998 posts, read 12,927,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteNCRepublican View Post
New York City (International Culture)
Boston or Philly ( American History and Northeast)
Washington D.C. (American History + U.S. Capital)
Los Angeles (Glamour, fame)
Houston (Southern Culture, New America)
Nice! This is probably what my list would look like except I'd try to squeeze San Francisco in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City