Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: New Orleans vs San Francisco
San Francisco 262 57.71%
New Orleans 192 42.29%
Voters: 454. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2012, 09:29 AM

2,549 posts, read 3,978,305 times

Advertisements

Thanks Lizz0rd, I just love to smell the variety of some of the foods coming outside from some of these places while hearing various styles of music as I walk along the street. It definitely sets the tone for me. Yes, it would be it would be tough to avoid as there are many pubs at nearly every street you turn.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2012, 12:30 PM

2,311 posts, read 4,945,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanologist View Post
Thanks Lizz0rd, I just love to smell the variety of some of the foods coming outside from some of these places while hearing various styles of music as I walk along the street. It definitely sets the tone for me. Yes, it would be it would be tough to avoid as there are many pubs at nearly every street you turn.
I go to a bar every day, but have no problem staying sober. I just go to eat and drink a Coke. My total alcohol intake for the last week was about an ounce of beer and two sips of whiskey. It's not that I'm a prude, I just got tired of waking up with a headache. Having said all that, nobody gives me a hard time when I'm not drinking and it's gotten to the point where the bar owners are relying on me to help them resolve issues with the neighborhood. In New Orleans, live and let live means just that- nobody's going to force a drink down your throat, but if your thing is getting **** faced, then as long as you don't bother anybody, that's fine too.

Old 04-01-2012, 02:29 PM

814 posts, read 1,474,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orzo View Post
Which part of New Orleans looks like this?

san francisco - Google Maps

Or this:

Google Maps

Or this:

Google Maps

Or this:

Google Maps
None of those pictures are that impressive. New Orleans downtown looks like the first picture. The French Quarter is kind of like the second picture.

Old 04-01-2012, 02:36 PM

896 posts, read 1,169,239 times
Nice pics, however for those of you who don't know the pics are all within a 10 block radius if that, the area that looks like that is very small, not impressed

Old 04-01-2012, 02:37 PM

398 posts, read 750,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neworleansisprettygood View Post
I go to a bar every day, but have no problem staying sober. I just go to eat and drink a Coke. My total alcohol intake for the last week was about an ounce of beer and two sips of whiskey. It's not that I'm a prude, I just got tired of waking up with a headache. Having said all that, nobody gives me a hard time when I'm not drinking and it's gotten to the point where the bar owners are relying on me to help them resolve issues with the neighborhood. In New Orleans, live and let live means just that- nobody's going to force a drink down your throat, but if your thing is getting **** faced, then as long as you don't bother anybody, that's fine too.
Yeah see that is too much, its fun for the weekend but I know that is somewhat the culture there. I go to a bar maybe once a month if that normally, just not my thing. But if I go to a trip to New Orleans, I might go to 10 in a weekend. But then I won't want to be around alcohol for quite awhile. I'm more of a book store or sitting in a quiet park person.

Old 04-01-2012, 03:07 PM

640 posts, read 1,225,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizz0rd View Post
Yeah see that is too much, its fun for the weekend but I know that is somewhat the culture there. I go to a bar maybe once a month if that normally, just not my thing. But if I go to a trip to New Orleans, I might go to 10 in a weekend. But then I won't want to be around alcohol for quite awhile. I'm more of a book store or sitting in a quiet park person.

I like coffee shops, parks, museums, art galleries and walking around and New Orleans is and always will be my favorite city. There's a lot more to do here than just drink.

Old 04-01-2012, 03:07 PM

2,549 posts, read 3,978,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliSon View Post
Nice pics, however for those of you who don't know the pics are all within a 10 block radius if that, the area that looks like that is very small, not impressed
Small enough to pack huge dense crowds like the "Madis Gras"

Old 04-01-2012, 06:10 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,357,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanologist View Post
Small enough to pack huge dense crowds like the "Madis Gras"
Better retort would be to show bustling neighborhoods outside of what's in those pics.

Old 04-01-2012, 06:25 PM

398 posts, read 750,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcp11889 View Post
I like coffee shops, parks, museums, art galleries and walking around and New Orleans is and always will be my favorite city. There's a lot more to do here than just drink.
Oh I definitely did that also. Not my favorite city, but it's up there. It seems like drinking and general rambunctioness (sp?) is part of the culture there though, quite an extroverted and expressive city...and I'm a total introvert. I can only handle so much of it, not just the bar but other things associated.

that is definitely NOT just a 10 block radius... NO is hopping elsewhere... Frenchmen, Esplanade, the gorgeous areas around City Park, Uptown and Loyola... all cool streets and outside those. Don't think he shows Canal or Decatur street at all either, two main streets.

I'm sure others can comment more, but those are usually areas I frequent when I visit...

Old 04-01-2012, 07:23 PM

1,190 posts, read 2,251,846 times
If New Orleans was a metropolis of 4 or 5 million this would be a great comparison for San Francisco. I love both cities but if I had to pick one to visit it would be New Orleans and San Francisco to live in. The more I think about it the more it makes me wonder how narrow my 'places to live' list is becoming, I can live in maybe 9 places total in the U.S.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City