Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2011, 01:22 PM

162 posts, read 601,952 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuddedLeather View Post
ROTF!!! Well if being born in St.Johns (now Interfaith) hospital, raised in Bed-Stuy/Bushwick equates to me being a hipster, I guess the definition is off base. Why would you assume I'm a hipster? Because I don't speak as if I'm illiterate? Because I'm capable of having a cohesive dialogue with you? What did I write that struct hipster? I'm from the "hood" but I'm not apart of it, but I admit that's the funniest thing I've ever heard about me! Thanks for the laugh.

On topic, I've never doubted Manhattan's influence (to the rest of the world), who cares if Manhattan is the center of the world, surely no one FROM NYC cares that much. Only transplants and native Manhattanites (the natives get a pass, it's their borough. We all feel as if our boroughs are superior). All I said was I prefer Brooklyn. It's my borough and it's MY preference. You're ignorant if you think cleaning up certain areas is becoming like "Manhattan". . .

Lol - - -New York Neighborhoods Ranked - Best Places to Live in NYC - Nate Silver -- New York Magazine

Like I said previously I love this city as a whole and if YOU think Brooklyn is imitating Manhattan at least it's within our boundaries.
I said that you might be a hipster because they're always quick to call someone a transplant if they don't think that New York is a "hip", "happening" place. Although I don't live in Fort Greene anymore, I still visit my parents here often & the neighborhood is turning more and more into a mini-Upper West Side with each visit, I don't really mind personally, but the neighborhood has most definitely lost its character in recent years. Yeah the outer boroughs have their own character or whatever, but everyone knows that Manhattan, and areas near Manhattan (Brooklyn Heights, Hoboken, Long Island City, etc) are the best places to live & real estate prices reflect that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2011, 11:10 PM

1,405 posts, read 2,449,012 times
Here's some photos I took today (with my iPhone, so nothing spectacular) Just wanted to show you guys something you might not be able to Google. These are regular photos, like I stated just snapped them with my phone. The photos were taken in Bed-Stuy (gasp) and about 2 were in Bushwick. This is the unseen Brooklyn. . . A bit dramatic? I know. Lol . . .

(Honorable mention, not in Bed-Stuy BUT it's in Brooklyn)
The Barclays Center.

Next up, probably Downtown. . .

Old 05-03-2011, 09:38 AM

5,462 posts, read 5,704,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLOJ View Post
Too bad they don't look like they're original anymore.
They do. All those buildings in the Heights are historically protected areas and can't be demolished. Like the other guy said, just because the quality and standard of living have gone up considerably it doesn't mean its becoming "Manhattan-like". Brooklyn is Brooklyn and we do our own thing.

Old 05-03-2011, 10:02 AM

36,653 posts, read 67,487,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
They do. All those buildings in the Heights are historically protected areas and can't be demolished. Like the other guy said, just because the quality and standard of living have gone up considerably it doesn't mean its becoming "Manhattan-like". Brooklyn is Brooklyn and we do our own thing.
San Francisco is similar---incredibly hard to build or tear down anything.

The term "Anti-Manhattanization" was coined in San Francisco back in the 1970s when mainly NY transplants to SF protested dozens of massive skyscraper projects because they didnt want to block sunlight at street level(the canyon effect) and they didnt want to lose their views of the bay and hills.

As a result, SF may have lagged a bit as far as skylines for a while, but lately they've been warming up to skyline altering skyscrapers--which I think is a good idea.

Anyway, some SF pics:

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5066/...9f93ffbc_b.jpg

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/140/3...f3b31daf_b.jpg

Old 05-04-2011, 07:55 PM

4,576 posts, read 9,159,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Man, Luniz was like 16 years ago. Who cares?
Lots of people in the bay and california live in the past.

Old 05-04-2011, 08:24 PM

6,914 posts, read 14,746,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Dude View Post
Lots of people in the bay and california live in the past.

Uh... actually, the Brooklynites who responded to me were almost exclusively bringing up 90's rap and verses from 90's rappers. My first posts about rap in the thread were all recent stuff.

Old 05-04-2011, 09:03 PM

2,957 posts, read 6,472,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
Uh... actually, the Brooklynites who responded to me were almost exclusively bringing up 90's rap and verses from 90's rappers. My first posts about rap in the thread were all recent stuff.
Shhhh....you're ruining his flame-baiting attempt.

Old 12-01-2011, 05:08 PM

32,087 posts, read 34,681,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman650 View Post
West Indian/black cultural options are in greater abundance in BK, but the trade off is a much greater variety of what is offered from the most populous and ethnically diverse continent in the world: Asia.
Most populous? Yes. Most ethnically diverse? That's very debatable. There are a number of sources that say Africa is the most ethnically diverse continent, and it's certainly the most genetically diverse continent (South Africa is said to be the most genetically diverse place on earth). Besides, Brooklyn has nearly as many Asians as San Francisco, so it's not like there's so much more in Asian culture that's offered there that's not offered here (especially considering that SF's Asian population is overwhelmingly Chinese...and 99.8 percent of them belong to one single ethnic group).

And if we include "cultural options" like music and festivals, then I don't think SF comes out ahead at all. Bhangra is about the only Asian music that has any type of popularity and there's plenty of that (if not more) in BK. Soca, calypso, reggae, dancehall, chutney, naija and coupe decale are all musical genres that are actually played in clubs. Nobody's rocking out to traditional Hmong music in the Bay Area.

I doubt there are too many Naija parties in the Bay.

Wale My Sweetie He Repin West Africa - HIPHOPNEWS24-7.COM - YouTube

Quote:
Originally Posted by jman650 View Post
I'd really have to try more in BK to draw fair comparisons, but I'm pretty positive SF will have it on lock for pretty much any region of Chinese cuisine, be it Cantonese/dim sum, Sichuan, Beijing, Islamic/Western Chinese, Shanghainese, Shandong, Taiwanese, Hunan....you name it. I can pretty much guarantee SF will blow away BK in Burmese. Not sure about Thai, but I'd be willing to put up SF's best like Lers Ros and many others against anything in BK. Japanese and Korean I would assume SF would take, but I really don't know what BK offers there. Vietnamese and Cambodian SF would very likely take.
Yeah, I think you do. The Asian populations in SF and BK are very comparable in size, so I don't think we're missing all that much. But the Caribbean and African population in SF is virtually non-existent, so you guys really don't get any of that at all. I'll take a decent amount of Asian variety, a wide variety of African culture, and a wide variety of Latino culture over a wealth of Asian variety with much less of the other two.

Old 12-01-2011, 05:39 PM

32,087 posts, read 34,681,849 times
For those on the West Coast who get little, if any, exposure to the African diaspora. Hopefully, you guys can come back East and experience some of this.

THE ANNUAL OFFICIAL NIGERIA INDEPENDENCE DAY AFTER PARTY FOR NEW YORK CITY October 3, 2009 - YouTube

mi love whining!! - YouTube

Kaysha : On dit quoi - YouTube

Chutney / Soca Dance Performance - Trinidad & Tobago Student Federation ( Part 2 ) - YouTube

jbird81's Channel - YouTube

Old 12-01-2011, 05:44 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,853,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuddedLeather View Post
Here's some photos I took today (with my iPhone, so nothing spectacular) Just wanted to show you guys something you might not be able to Google. These are regular photos, like I stated just snapped them with my phone. The photos were taken in Bed-Stuy (gasp) and about 2 were in Bushwick. This is the unseen Brooklyn. . . A bit dramatic? I know. Lol . . .

(Honorable mention, not in Bed-Stuy BUT it's in Brooklyn)
The Barclays Center.

Next up, probably Downtown. . .
Nice pics. Reminds me of the quieter parts of Cambridge, Mass.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City