Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2013, 10:41 AM

2,421 posts, read 4,316,623 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
If "no parts" of Chicago are more urban than the Bronx, then how could you not find the Bronx to be more urban?
Beacuse the bronx does not have all the cultural and urban amentities that cities have. Does the Bronx have a CBD? Numerous museums?

You are equating urban - density. THat is not what urban is. Denstiy is just part of it.

Old 08-14-2013, 10:45 AM

32,087 posts, read 34,686,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoist123 View Post
Beacuse the bronx does not have all the cultural and urban amentities that cities have. Does the Bronx have a CBD? Numerous museums?

You are equating urban - density. THat is not what urban is. Denstiy is just part of it.
The CBD part is a "win" for Chicago. The Bronx obviously doesn't have one. But Chicago's CBD is not large enough, imo, to compensate for the additional 45 sq. miles of the Bronx that are much more urban than anything in Chicago.

Museums have nothing to do with how "urban" a place is.

And I never equated density with urbanity. The Bronx is not more urban than Chicago simply because it's denser. The Bronx also has neighborhood after neighborhood of 6 to 7 story buildings all packed together. Chicago has nothing like that.

Old 08-14-2013, 10:47 AM

Quote:
The CBD part is a "win" for Chicago. The Bronx obviously doesn't have one. But Chicago's CBD is not large enough, imo, to compensate for the additional 45 sq. miles of the Bronx that are much more urban than anything in Chicago.

Museums have nothing to do with how "urban" a place is.

And I never equated density with urbanity. The Bronx is not more urban than Chicago simply because it's denser. The Bronx also has neighborhood after neighborhood of 6 to 7 story buildings all packed together. Chicago has nothing like that.
So what do you find is more of a total urban experience the Bronx or Chicago? You mean to tell me that museums, CBD, nightlife, shopping, food, universities in Chicago, etc, can't be compared to the Bronx? That they don't count in Chicago becuase it's more spread out? So the Bronx is more of total package and provides more of the urban lifestyle and experience?

Old 08-14-2013, 10:51 AM

517 posts, read 677,867 times
Quote:
So what do you find is more of a total urban experience the Bronx or Chicago? You mean to tell me that museums, CBD, nightlife, shopping, food, universities in Chicago, etc, can't be compared to the Bronx? That they don't count in Chicago becuase it's more spread out? So the Bronx is more of total package and provides more of the urban lifestyle and experience?
I think, yes, you can argue all these things, but I think you're just making this argument because the Bronx is clearly so much more dense.

For example, if we had a "Chicago vs. San Jose" urbanity thread, you would agree that San Jose has comparable urbanity to Chicago because of Stanford and Bay Area cuisine? I find this hard to believe.

Chicago clearly demolishes Silicon Valley in urbanity, even if there are certain amenities that may be comparable or better in Silicon Valley.

Old 08-14-2013, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCH_CDM View Post
I think, yes, you can argue all these things, but I think you're just making this argument because the Bronx is clearly so much more dense.

For example, if we had a "Chicago vs. San Jose" urbanity thread, you would agree that San Jose has comparable urbanity to Chicago because of Stanford and Bay Area cuisine? I find this hard to believe.

Chicago clearly demolishes Silicon Valley in urbanity, even if there are certain amenities that may be comparable or better in Silicon Valley.
Hold on though, but I would never be arrogant enough to compare Chicago to the Bay Area Metro/Silicon Valley. I would compare Chicago to San Francisco, or to San Jose or to Oakland. Just as it's pretty arrogant to compare a borough to an entire city.....

You keep saying the Bronx is more dense. OK? and? Urban means "city like" and density is just one factor. The is more to cities than just density.

Old 08-14-2013, 11:15 AM

Quote:
So what do you find is more of a total urban experience the Bronx or Chicago?
The Bronx.

Quote:
You mean to tell me that museums, CBD, nightlife, shopping, food, universities in Chicago, etc, can't be compared to the Bronx?
I said that the CBD could be considered a "win" for Chicago. But outside of that 1.58 sq. mile area, it's a landslide. Nightlife, shopping, food, etc. have little to do with "urbanity," which I associate primarily with land use.

Quote:
That they don't count in Chicago becuase it's more spread out? So the Bronx is more of total package and provides more of the urban lifestyle and experience?
Who said anything about "total package?" I said the Bronx is more urban. That, imo, is a very benign and uncontroversial statement.

Old 08-14-2013, 11:18 AM

Quote:
The Bronx.

I said that the CBD could be considered a "win" for Chicago. But outside of that 1.58 sq. mile area, it's a landslide. Nightlife, shopping, food, etc. have little to do with "urbanity," which I associate primarily with land use.

Who said anything about "total package?" I said the Bronx is more urban. That, imo, is a very benign and uncontroversial statement.
Sorry disagree though!

Old 08-14-2013, 12:24 PM

2,314 posts, read 4,796,759 times
Quote:

It is uncontroversial.

Because in real life, nobody would be discussing these aspects of New York and Chicago and comparing the two like this.

I basically had to pinch myself when actually participating in this thread to remind myself that I need to get back to real life.

Old 08-14-2013, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nafster View Post
Because in real life, nobody would be discussing these aspects of New York and Chicago and comparing the two like this.
In "real life," nobody would be discussing any of the things we talk about on C-D. That's what makes it C-D.

Old 08-14-2013, 12:34 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,458,335 times
Quote:
In "real life," nobody would be discussing any of the things we talk about on C-D. That's what makes it C-D.
I've had short "urbanity" conversations with someone who moved from (and was born in & has family in) New York City to Chicago. Comments on such things parking lots in surprising places, less crowds, what locals think of "city" is different from what she's used to. Obviously not to the detail that one would find on CD, some of these differences are obvious and enough to make small talk to someone used to the other city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City