Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2013, 12:33 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,979,232 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullocity View Post
I suggest next time you come, also visit Michigan the west coast of it that is.

You should definitely visit again soon. Speaking of which I haven't been to NYC in about 8 years I am due for a visit (or who know a move, just applied for a job there).
Thanks for the suggestion.

Congrats I hope you get the job. Whether visiting or living in NYC the newest thing to visit is the 9/11 Memorial and Museum (the museum is slated to open sometime in 2014). It is so beautiful and peaceful there, I recommend everyone goes. Ground Zero has come a long way since 8 years ago it is totally worth seeing. Also, One World Trade is simply breathtaking from afar and right up close.

Old 09-06-2013, 12:33 PM

1,612 posts, read 2,419,948 times
Regarding hotel construction, here is a quote from Lodging Advisors, a hotel development consultancy-

"While New York has the most hotels under construction than any other city in the U.S. by far, most experts predict the market can absorb just about any amount of new supply."

New brands choose NYC as launching pad

Old 09-06-2013, 12:36 PM

151 posts, read 162,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiVegas View Post
Regarding hotel construction, here is a quote from Lodging Advisors, a hotel development consultancy-

"While New York has the most hotels under construction than any other city in the U.S. by far, most experts predict the market can absorb just about any amount of new supply."

New brands choose NYC as launching pad
Ok, but that doesn't mean that Cihicago tourism isn't booming....

Old 09-06-2013, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Ok, but that doesn't mean that Cihicago tourism isn't booming....
Ok, but it's irrelevant. If "booming" means "not among the top hotel construction markets", then it's a meaningless term.

Old 09-06-2013, 12:45 PM

2,502 posts, read 3,371,489 times
[quote= But it was a good experience to do once.[/QUOTE]

I've been to New York at least a dozen times, and will always take the opportunity to visit again (as well as visits to New Jersey).....

Glad you concluded your one time visit to Chicago, typical......seen it all, done it all.....nothing more to see.

Old 09-06-2013, 12:48 PM

151 posts, read 162,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiVegas View Post
Ok, but it's irrelevant. If "booming" means "not among the top hotel construction markets", then it's a meaningless term.
ok flotard.

WIth you there is no point debating Chicago because all you do is put it down.

Is Chicago tourism as strong as NYC? no. Are Chicago hotels booming ? Yes. No one is saying it's more than NYC, but for Chicago yes tourism is booming, why can't you accept that or are you that insecure.

Old 09-06-2013, 01:08 PM

Quote:
ok flotard.

WIth you there is no point debating Chicago because all you do is put it down.

Is Chicago tourism as strong as NYC? no. Are Chicago hotels booming ? Yes. No one is saying it's more than NYC, but for Chicago yes tourism is booming, why can't you accept that or are you that insecure.
You realize you sound ridiculous?

First, you're not even posting to the right person.

Second, you first claimed Chicago hotel construction was booming, and then redefined booming to "not booming" once confronted with the fact that it wasn't a leading market for new hotel construction.

Old 09-06-2013, 01:09 PM

2,502 posts, read 3,371,489 times
Either you confused Flotard with MichiVegas or you identified them as one and the same!

Either way, Chicago's absolute gorgeousness more or less insures that its tourism market will grow for the forseeable future. NY's, I dunno, as a long time visitor of the place I feel it is gradually being overwhelmed by tourists,,,,and many NY pals of mine say the same, citing Brooklyn's resurgence as a response to Manhattan's Disneyfication. I doubt Chicago, with its never-ending grid, would ever suffer from such a fate, but who knows?

Old 09-06-2013, 01:10 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,979,232 times
Here are some photos I've taken of 1 WTC and the Memorial. I wanted to add more (better) ones but since these are my photos, I have to edit them to make them fit the size requirement for this site and I don't want to do that but I think this building is so beautiful and I am a bit obsessed with photographing it. I've taken dozens of pictures but the most recent one here is from late April and the earliest from last September so they're not totally updated but still pretty IMO. Everyone go see this in New York! Totally worth it.

NYC vs. Chicago-img_3394.jpg

NYC vs. Chicago-img_3385.jpg

NYC vs. Chicago-img_3415.jpg

NYC vs. Chicago-img_1936.jpg

NYC vs. Chicago-img_1932.jpg

Old 09-06-2013, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest1 View Post
Either way, Chicago's absolute gorgeousness more or less insures that its tourism market will grow for the forseeable future. NY's, I dunno, as a long time visitor of the place I feel it is gradually being overwhelmed by tourists
So your point is now that NYC is growing with too many tourists, and therefore declining, while Chicago is not expanding with enough tourists, and therefore growing?

And "absolute gorgeousness" of Chicago? A bit of a stretch, perhaps, even for a homer? Chicagoland covers Illinois and Indiana, probably in the Bottom 10 of states in terms of beauty.

SF is gorgeous, Chicago not so much. Chicago is a world-class city, but in spite of its lack of natural beauty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City