Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2013, 10:56 AM

399 posts, read 882,342 times

Advertisements

How often do the 8.3 million that live in NYC actually use everything NYC offers?

You always see this as a reason why people live there, but im willing to bet that the vast vast majority only stick to their six-block radius for 80% of their needs. I surely did.

Its style points. "We have this, this, that" - Right right, but the real question is, do you use them? and how often? It becomes a question of practicality.

Most people I knew in NYC were only there a short period (usually 20-30) and then couldnt wait to get out, but you wouldnt be able to tell on here. This website has a massive hard on. Its as if practical living is looked down on here.

Old 09-07-2013, 11:17 AM

4,675 posts, read 7,398,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
Sorry, murder has been on an uptick the last few years
Actually, not really. I think you're making a trend out of local noise when the actual trend is unequivocally downward. See:
Year Homicide number
1990: 851[12]
1991: 927[13]
1992: 943[13]
1993: 855[13]
1994: 931[13]
1995: 828[13]
1996: 796[13]
1997: 761[13]
1998: 704[13]
1999: 643[13]
2000: 633[13]
2001: 667[13]
2002: 656[13]
2003: 601[13]
2004: 453[13]
2005: 451[13]
2006: 471[13]
2007: 448[13]
2008: 513[13]
2009: 459[13]
2010: 436[13]
2011: 435[13]
2012: 506[14]

I believe the last time I calculated it, if the homicide rate of this year continues, Chicago will finish the year out with fewer than 400 homicides. No city behaves identically, and Chicago has made huge strides in reducing its homicide rate, which is something it rarely gets acknowledgement for.

Old 09-07-2013, 11:53 AM

12,883 posts, read 13,979,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoorSeattle View Post
How often do the 8.3 million that live in NYC actually use everything NYC offers?

You always see this as a reason why people live there, but im willing to bet that the vast vast majority only stick to their six-block radius for 80% of their needs. I surely did.

Its style points. "We have this, this, that" - Right right, but the real question is, do you use them? and how often? It becomes a question of practicality.

Most people I knew in NYC were only there a short period (usually 20-30) and then couldnt wait to get out, but you wouldnt be able to tell on here. This website has a massive hard on. Its as if practical living is looked down on here.
Can't the same thing be said about all cities or areas? People everywhere take what they have for granted, but the fact that a lot is available is a huge plus.

I, for example, have never visited the Statue of Liberty. It's less than 15 miles from my house and I have never been to this huge symbol of America every tourist must see when they come to NYC. This is a perfect example. But it I ever were to go, and I will, it is less than 15 miles away. I can get to it like that. See what I'm saying?

It depends on what people like. If people are huge into art, I'm sure they frequently visit museums and exhibits the city offers. If they're into musicals, they've probably seen dozens of Broadway productions. If they're foodies, they've probably travelled the city looking for the best food in each ethnic category. If they like hanging out in parks and being around nature for a change, they probably spend a lot of free time in Central Park, Battery Park, Hudson River Park, and parks in the outer boroughs. NYC offers A LOT. Of course not everyone uses it all, but that doesn't mean it doesn't offer a lot…

I wonder how many Chicagoans rarely go to the beach they brag so much about. Probably a lot. It's typical. Something's there that's a plus, so you tell about it, but you personally may not use it. But it's still there in case anyone wants to use it.

Old 09-07-2013, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Can't the same thing be said about all cities or areas? People everywhere take what they have for granted, but the fact that a lot is available is a huge plus.

I, for example, have never visited the Statue of Liberty. It's less than 15 miles from my house and I have never been to this huge symbol of America every tourist must see when they come to NYC. This is a perfect example. But it I ever were to go, and I will, it is less than 15 miles away. I can get to it like that. See what I'm saying?

It depends on what people like. If people are huge into art, I'm sure they frequently visit museums and exhibits the city offers. If they're into musicals, they've probably seen dozens of Broadway productions. If they're foodies, they've probably travelled the city looking for the best food in each ethnic category. If they like hanging out in parks and being around nature for a change, they probably spend a lot of free time in Central Park, Battery Park, Hudson River Park, and parks in the outer boroughs. NYC offers A LOT. Of course not everyone uses it all, but that doesn't mean it doesn't offer a lot…

Im from NY and have never been to it either. Seen it, driven past it numerous times in Jersey, but never cared or do care enough to go to it.

But, as you said, you havent been to it. You said you will go to it. You sound as eager to go as paying your bills.

Its style points and its not practical. Smaller cities do offer more practical means.

Old 09-07-2013, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Im from NY and have never been to it either. Seen it, driven past it numerous times in Jersey, but never cared or do care enough to go to it.

But, as you said, you havent been to it. You said you will go to it. You sound as eager to go as paying your bills.

Its style points and its not practical. Smaller cities do offer more practical means.
I will go to it some day. But what's the rush? It's right there. When I have some time I want to head over to Jersey City or lower Manhattan I can ferry over to it. I'm in no rush, but I do want to see it. Prime example of me taking it for granted.

I would say the majority of people from this area haven't toured/visited Liberty Island but most tourists have. I'd bet this is the same for attractions in any city. When you live there, it's just not top priority.

Old 09-07-2013, 12:03 PM

But its also unrealistic to think that someone uses NYC for all it offers.

You always see or hear about the endless things or list of attributes it has or offers, but again, just how many people actually use them? Despite it being a haven for the 1%, and increasing costs, its largely a middle class city. Im willing to bet most people work too much to actually do everything it offers, which is endless. They are stuck to their routine and only do maybe 1/5th of what the city has.

Trim the fat and be practical. You aint doing all of NYC unless youre rich.

Old 09-07-2013, 12:06 PM

555 posts, read 591,418 times
Quote:

Nobody could use everything that NYC offers lol. Nobody tries to lol but the variety and quantinty offered means everybody can find something for himself or herself.
Now, the beauty of New York is that it has plenty of neighborhoods where within a walking distance so you can comfortably living in your 6. X 6 neighborhood or take the train and be somewhere else within minutes.
Yes, if you spent time with transplants then for many New York is just s short sot, for many other however it is a place where they grew up, the place they know and love. Practical living? What's that? Dirt cheap apartment in Kansas City? Lol

Old 09-07-2013, 12:08 PM

Quote:

You always see or hear about the endless things or list of attributes it has or offers, but again, just how many people actually use them? Despite it being a haven for the 1%, and increasing costs, its largely a middle class city. Im willing to bet most people work too much to actually do everything it offers, which is endless. They are stuck to their routine and only do maybe 1/5th of what the city has.

It doesn't matter that residents don't take advantage. It doesn't detract from the fact that amenities and whatever it offers still exist either way. As I said, people will use and visit what appeals to them. Every amenity is being used, I'd bet (or else they wouldn't be there), just not by everyone.

Old 09-07-2013, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flotard View Post
Nobody could use everything that NYC offers lol. Nobody tries to lol but the variety and quantinty offered means everybody can find something for himself or herself.
Now, the beauty of New York is that it has plenty of neighborhoods where within a walking distance so you can comfortably living in your 6. X 6 neighborhood or take the train and be somewhere else within minutes.

Yes, if you spent time with transplants then for many New York is just s short sot, for many other however it is a place where they grew up, the place they know and love. Practical living? What's that? Dirt cheap apartment in Kansas City? Lol
Exactly.

Old 09-07-2013, 12:09 PM

555 posts, read 591,418 times
Quote:

Why would anybody tried to do all of NYC? You mean like do all bars, opera, the Yankees, the beach, broadway, Poconos, Coney Island, straight bars, gay bars etc etc? Why?
If you coming from a small town with two movie theaters and a public library you maybe overwhelmed but only because you think you have to try it all. Don't worry, it will go away lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City