Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2011, 10:37 AM

41,948 posts, read 75,153,734 times

Advertisements

Cincinnati -- not just German, but German Catholics

Cleveland -- Slovenian

Detroit has its share of Poles as well -- it's where I send away for my oplatki every Christmas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2011, 11:11 AM
rah

3,314 posts, read 9,233,889 times
For the Bay Area as a whole, the largest non-white ethnic groups, in order:

1. Mexican
2. Chinese
3. Filipino
4. Indian
5. Vietnamese
6. Salvadoran
7. Japanese
8. Korean
9. Nicaraguan
10. Guatemalan

and the largest ancestries for the white population are:

1. German
2. Irish
3. English
4. Italian
5. French
6. Portuguese
7. Russian
8. Polish
9. Scottish
10. Swedish

Quote:
Originally Posted by mas23 View Post
Perception
NYC - Jewish/Italian/Black
Philadelphia - black/Italian
Boston - irish
DC - Black
Atlanta - Black
Houston - mexican
Chicago - Black/Irish/Polish
L.A. - Mexican/Chineese/Black
SF - chinese
Miami - Cuban
Detroit - Jet black

Actuality
NYC - Carribean/PuertoRican/Dominican/Italian...Everything
Philadelphia - Black/Italian/Puerto Rican/Irish
Boston - Irish/Italian/west inidan
DC - Black/white/salvadoran
ATL - Black/White
Houston - Mexican/African American/Nigerian
Chicago - Black/Mexican/PuertoRican/Polish/Irish
L.A.- Mexican/Central American/ Armenian/Chinese
SF - Chinese/White/Mexican
Miami - Cuban/Colombian/Hatian/LatinAmerican
Detroit - Black/MIddleEastern

mas23
why did you list specific ethnicities for whites for most cities, but then for SF and ATL you simply put "white"? SF itself would be Irish, Italian, English, and German for it's largest white ethnicities/ancestries (historically, SF was also a draw for Portuguese immigrants)...and lets be real: most white people in the US, regardless of ethnic background, have been here for many generations, and thus have more or less the same generic "american culture" anyways, and don't add much "ethnic flavor" to their respective cities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
I've been there & yes, there are a boat load of Filipinos in the Bay Area, especially San Jose & Daly City.

I went to a gay Filipino stand up comedy/karaoke bar in Daly City. My friends dragged me there.
Daly City/San Francisco is the center for the Bay's Filipino population, i'd say:

Daly City + SF:
pop. - 917,523
area - 54.2 sq. mi.
Filipino pop. - 71,994/7.8% (34,812/34.1% in Daly City, 37,182/4.6% in SF)

San Jose:
pop. - 964,695
area - 174.9 sq. mi.
Filipino pop. - 53,533/5.5%

Daly City/SF has more Filipino people than SJ, with a smaller population, and in a smaller area as well (and with more history behind them too). Seeing as Daly City and SF border each other, and blend seamlessly together, it's a combination for comparison purposes that truly holds weight, and is not at all arbitrary.

Old 05-13-2011, 11:22 AM

857 posts, read 1,365,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mas23 View Post
Perception
NYC - Jewish/Italian/Black
Philadelphia - black/Italian
Boston - irish
DC - Black
Atlanta - Black
Houston - mexican
Chicago - Black/Irish/Polish
L.A. - Mexican/Chineese/Black
SF - chinese
Miami - Cuban
Detroit - Jet black

Actuality
NYC - Carribean/PuertoRican/Dominican/Italian...Everything
Philadelphia - Black/Italian/Puerto Rican/Irish
Boston - Irish/Italian/west inidan
DC - Black/white/salvadoran
ATL - Black/White
Houston - Mexican/African American/Nigerian
Chicago - Black/Mexican/PuertoRican/Polish/Irish
L.A.- Mexican/Central American/ Armenian/Chinese
SF - Chinese/White/Mexican
Miami - Cuban/Colombian/Hatian/LatinAmerican
Detroit - Black/MIddleEastern

mas23
Lmao.. That really made me LoL

Old 05-13-2011, 11:25 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,197,088 times
OK, now that we've all woke up out of fantasy world and realized were back to reality where people are ignorant and lack knowledge about US cities. Get back to the OT.

Half of these ethnic groups you people are saying; people have never heard of or know how to pronounce; let alone know your cities are known for them.

Than on top of that you going people claiming groups which play such a trivial part in their cities culture that they're practically non-existant. Atlanta, your Brazilian population is about 5k; give a rest. Minneapolis, only about .1% of Americans know what Karens, Arans and Oromos are....seriously. Metromatt.......nvm.

Old 05-13-2011, 11:49 AM

9,961 posts, read 17,514,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgiraffe View Post
OK, now that we've all woke up out of fantasy world and realized were back to reality where people are ignorant and lack knowledge about US cities. Get back to the OT.

Half of these ethnic groups you people are saying; people have never heard of or know how to pronounce; let alone know your cities are known for them.

Than on top of that you going people claiming groups which play such a trivial part in their cities culture that they're practically non-existant. Atlanta, your Brazilian population is about 5k; give a rest. Minneapolis, only about .1% of Americans know what Karens, Arans and Oromos are....seriously. Metromatt.......nvm.
Okay...So I guess we're just supposed to approach this by assuming what the average uneducated, untravelled American dumbass would percieve as ethnic groups for most cities. Okay got it...

Here's a run down of Texas:

Dallas-Cowboys
Houston-Urban cowboys
San Antonio-Mexican cowboys
El Paso-That's in Mexico, right?
Austin-Stuff white people like...

That's all I think I know about Texas.

Actually, it was interesting to learn that Houston has the largest Nigerian population or be reminded that Nashville has the largest Kurdish population. Thanks, MetroMatt.

Old 05-13-2011, 12:03 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,892,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
Okay...So I guess we're just supposed to approach this by assuming what the average uneducated, untravelled American dumbass would percieve as ethnic groups for most cities. Okay got it...

Here's a run down of Texas:

Dallas-Cowboys
Houston-Urban cowboys
San Antonio-Mexican cowboys
El Paso-That's in Mexico, right?
Austin-Stuff white people like...

That's all I think I know about Texas.

Actually, it was interesting to learn that Houston has the largest Nigerian population or be reminded that Nashville has the largest Kurdish population. Thanks, MetroMatt.

Pretty comical

Maybe Waco is Cultish Cowboys

Old 05-13-2011, 12:31 PM

252 posts, read 492,889 times
Quote:
I'm sure the kind people you are referring to will forgive you and the majority of people throughout the U.S. who are so completely ignorant and/or arrogant that you don't know (or care) where they are from or take the time to spell their ethnic group's name correctly.

Honestly, why do you even care if people list other ethnic groups in their respective cities. D-bag.

Old 05-13-2011, 12:51 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,197,088 times
Blahblahblah

You guys can get angry all you want, but the purpose of the thread is to place what ethnic groups are known for what city. You're not suppose to approach this thread with a city enthusiastic view but more of an everyday american view.

Dude above me; you obviously can't read because nothing in my post stated I don't care about those groups. Learn to read and quit forming these conclusions and assumptions out of your ass.

Last edited by blkgiraffe; 05-13-2011 at 01:00 PM..

Old 05-13-2011, 01:02 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,451,133 times
Quote:
Atlanta, your Brazilian population is about 5k; give a rest.
I decided to ask my girlfriend (who is from Brasil) if she had ever heard of the City of Atlanta. Her response: "The one underwater?" haha...not necessarily saying no one in Brasil knows about Atlanta, but I thought that was funny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
No...it's just cities that are known for certain ethnic groups. This isn't to say everyone is ignorant, etc...but not all cities are known for a particular ethnic group. I think cities that fall under this would be places like Charlotte, Nashville, Portland, Dallas, Houston, Orlando, Minneapolis, and Cleveland, among several others. To not know there is a sizable Somali population in Minneapolis or Nigerian population in Houston doesn't make a population ignorant. In fact, there are only a certain number of cities that the general public would associate with a particular ethnicity or race...I'd say they are:

New York City: Italian/Jewish
Philadelphia: Italian
Chicago: Irish/Polish/German
Boston: Irish
Atlanta: African American
Washington DC: African American
Baltimore: African American/Polish (I may be overly influenced by The Wire)
Miami: Latin American, particularly Cubans
Los Angeles: Mexicans
San Francisco: variety of Asian cultures
New Orleans: French/Creole/Cajun
Providence: Italian (small city, I know)
Orlando: Cartoon animals, particularly mice

That's all I can think of off the top of my head. Of course I do know there are many cities with a large variety of notable ethnicities...but that's all I think would be recognized across the country. That doesn't make people ignorant...it's just that most cities are notable for things besides a particular ethnicity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unity77 View Post
I'm sure the kind people you are referring to will forgive you and the majority of people throughout the U.S. who are so completely ignorant and/or arrogant that you don't know (or care) where they are from or take the time to spell their ethnic group's name correctly.

Honestly, why do you even care if people list other ethnic groups in their respective cities. D-bag.
How is anything he said d-baggish? Dude if you're referring to him joking about Oromos, Hmong, or whatever then you seriously need to get a life.

After looking up "Oromo", I found out they're a group of people that live in parts of Africa...their largest population is in Ethiopia, where they make up 35% of the population. How in hell are people supposed to know who these people are and what United States cities have communities of these people?

The Hmong are a mountain people from Asia. There are 4 to 5 million of them on the planet. Same population for Karen people. Why is it ignorant to not know about these people?

Old 05-13-2011, 01:23 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,514,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
No...it's just cities that are known for certain ethnic groups. This isn't to say everyone is ignorant, etc...but not all cities are known for a particular ethnic group. I think cities that fall under this would be places like Charlotte, Nashville, Portland, Dallas, Houston, Orlando, Minneapolis, and Cleveland, among several others. To not know there is a sizable Somali population in Minneapolis or Nigerian population in Houston doesn't make a population ignorant. In fact, there are only a certain number of cities that the general public would associate with a particular ethnicity or race...I'd say they are:

New York City: Italian/Jewish
Philadelphia: Italian
Chicago: Irish/Polish/German
Boston: Irish
Atlanta: African American
Washington DC: African American
Baltimore: African American/Polish (I may be overly influenced by The Wire)
Miami: Latin American, particularly Cubans
Los Angeles: Mexicans
San Francisco: variety of Asian cultures
New Orleans: French/Creole/Cajun
Providence: Italian (small city, I know)
Orlando: Cartoon animals, particularly mice
Okay fair enough... Honestly though, I'd say that most people in the US wouldn't know there's an old Polish area in Baltimore unless they watched the 2nd Season of the Wire(Poor Frank Sobotka...) anymore than they'd name Pittsburgh or Buffalo as places identified with a much larger Polish population.

And while probably the popular image of New Orleans for a lot of Americans who've been there is Cajun(most people wouldn't say Creole unless they had actual knowledge of the city),the Cajun population is 2 hours to the west and has never been all that signifigant in New Orleans itself as opposed to the Creole culture that dominates.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City