Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2011, 06:49 PM

1,807 posts, read 3,322,250 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
By way of Steve Jobs, et al., and the world's most valuable company. Here in Silicon Valley. Have a visit to One Infinite Loop for confirmation.
wozniak is the only founder born in san jose, and how relevant is he now exactly?
steve jobs is from san francisco and lives in palo alto
apple is based in cupertino, and cupertino is not san jose

or is that what you're doing now... anything in silicon valley = san jose? lol what a joke. enjoy your world class city with its fantastic skyline [/sarcasm]

Old 08-11-2011, 07:50 PM

4,211 posts, read 3,287,487 times
Perhaps I can illustrate my point a bit better with a stick figure type dialogue (with no stick figures):

(at a bar in San Francisco, lets make it the Madrone Art Bar on Divisadero)

ME: So, great concert....yeah, I think I will have another drink...yada yada....say, what about San Jose, what's the scene there like? Can you recommend any spots?

JOE SAN FRANCISCO: San Jose? HAHAHAHA!,....uhh no there is no reason to go there, unless you have to, and even then I would try find a way out of that. Man I haven't been to that place in like five years.

(next scene, somewhere outside of the Bay Area entirely, with a native of that area...lets say the Village Pub in Palm Springs)

ME: Yeah, times are tough for everyone I guess. I meet a lot of displaced people from San Francisco in weird places...I guess the jobs are lacking up there as well. Yeah, I'll have another Pilsner Urquell....

JANE SAN FRANCISCO: Do you even know what you're talking about? I'm from there...that's SILICON VALLEY!! San Jose is right there, the whole region is booming.

Old 08-11-2011, 08:31 PM

310 posts, read 651,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfrisco View Post
Perhaps I can illustrate my point a bit better with a stick figure type dialogue (with no stick figures):

(at a bar in San Francisco, lets make it the Madrone Art Bar on Divisadero)

ME: So, great concert....yeah, I think I will have another drink...yada yada....say, what about San Jose, what's the scene there like? Can you recommend any spots?

JOE SAN FRANCISCO: San Jose? HAHAHAHA!,....uhh no there is no reason to go there, unless you have to, and even then I would try find a way out of that. Man I haven't been to that place in like five years.

(next scene, somewhere outside of the Bay Area entirely, with a native of that area...lets say the Village Pub in Palm Springs)

ME: Yeah, times are tough for everyone I guess. I meet a lot of displaced people from San Francisco in weird places...I guess the jobs are lacking up there as well. Yeah, I'll have another Pilsner Urquell....

JANE SAN FRANCISCO: Do you even know what you're talking about? I'm from there...that's SILICON VALLEY!! San Jose is right there, the whole region is booming.
Dude, stick figure type dialogoues are so 2007.

Your little dialogue sketch here is screaming for an Xtranormal movie:

Movie Maker | Xtranormal

You can upload it to You Tube and then come back here and embed the video, unless that's too SV for ya'...

EDIT: Oops...C-D doesn't like embedded videos? You could still post the link though.

Last edited by OakAve2OakLand; 08-11-2011 at 09:13 PM..

Old 08-11-2011, 09:45 PM

3,257 posts, read 6,126,073 times
Cupertino is pretty much San Jose. It is absolutely the South Bay. Same as Santa Clara, Mt View etc... It is not about where you were born but where you lay down roots. Before Apple and HOME computers, computer mainframes took up entire basements of huge buildings. I saw the Armys computers in the 70s..
Quote:
Originally Posted by expect View Post
wozniak is the only founder born in san jose, and how relevant is he now exactly?

or is that what you're doing now... anything in silicon valley = san jose? lol what a joke. enjoy your world class city with its fantastic skyline [/sarcasm]

Old 08-12-2011, 12:08 AM

954 posts, read 1,280,430 times
Quote:

No skyline?!! How can I live in a city without an impressive skyline?!!

Don't worry, we got Cisco, we're going to hold the internet hostage until you raze your tall buildings that offend us so.

Old 08-12-2011, 08:42 AM

4,211 posts, read 3,287,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OakAve2OakLand View Post
Dude, stick figure type dialogoues are so 2007.

Your little dialogue sketch here is screaming for an Xtranormal movie:

Movie Maker | Xtranormal

You can upload it to You Tube and then come back here and embed the video, unless that's too SV for ya'...

EDIT: Oops...C-D doesn't like embedded videos? You could still post the link though.
I"ll have to check it out later. Right now using a non-SV approved Blackberry.

Old 08-12-2011, 10:22 AM

310 posts, read 651,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfrisco View Post
I"ll have to check it out later. Right now using a non-SV approved Blackberry.
Yeah, they're kinda funny if you've never seen one. Your dialgoue reminded me of these animated shorts that anyone can produce.

Here's a couple that web designers would appreciate:

Web Designer vs Client - Make my website for free - YouTube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l2u_z...eature=related

Edit: Ah, cool...the video played this time

Last edited by OakAve2OakLand; 08-12-2011 at 10:33 AM..

Old 08-12-2011, 03:12 PM

43 posts, read 104,275 times
Quote:

No, Steve Jobs is from Cupertino. He went to Homestead High School. Maybe he was born in San Francisco, but he was raised in Cupertino.

And yeah, Cupertino isn't in San Jose jurisdiction, but San Jose is to the East, North AND South of it.

Old 08-12-2011, 04:39 PM

457 posts, read 756,486 times
Ok, why is everyone suddenly bashing San Jose?

Old 08-13-2011, 07:34 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,836,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmode View Post
Ok, why is everyone suddenly bashing San Jose?
It's been a virtual obsession for the knuckledraggers, ever since the initial signs of something called "Silicon Valley" started developing years ago.

See, haters, if you don't care about a city/region, you don't even acknowledge it. But the haters do. Again and again. Just can't stop. And we down here really aren't too rattled by it, because we have nothing to prove. We're still the undeniable monster economic engine we've been for a long time, and recent developments suggest nothing's going to change that.

So right now, after short rides to see the Giants, Raiders, and Outside Lands already this past week, I'll be passing through the San Jose Jazz Festival (one of the largest in the world) on my way to the Earthquakes game, and seeing a bunch of bands at another festival late night in Almaden. Too bad there's nothing to do and nowhere to go if you live in SJ. Drink it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City