Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Battle of the Mid-Majors
Phoenix 41 17.23%
Denver 40 16.81%
Detroit 21 8.82%
Minneapolis 52 21.85%
Seattle 84 35.29%
Voters: 238. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2011, 06:12 PM

1,588 posts, read 4,065,263 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezter View Post
You havent spent to much time in Seattle or Denver...have you.? lol
I've lived in both Denver and Minneapolis and I think Minneapolis beats out Denver in many ways. Are you going to give me the lol too? Honestly, it's her/his opinion.

Last edited by BlackOut; 05-26-2011 at 06:29 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2011, 09:57 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,712,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackOut View Post
I've lived in both Denver and Minneapolis and I think Minneapolis beats out Denver in many ways. Are you going to give me the lol too? Honestly, it's her/his opinion.
Well i was asking that indivisual, not you. So I don't know how you were offended by this. LOL

Old 05-28-2011, 12:03 AM

1,004 posts, read 2,773,836 times
Quote:
Alright my fellow C-Daholics. I figure with the recent outlandish threads I would attempt to make an accurate comparison. I consider these cities/metros to be the mid-major cities of the nation. Definitely not on the level of LA and Chicago, not quite Phily, Boston, or Atlanta but definitely on the verge if not nipping at the heels. Ironically, all 5 are different from each other and command some sort of dominance in their niche areas.

Detroit: old manufacturing Rust Belt city that has fallen from prominence but still has packed quite a punch historically to be siginificant and is attempting to re-invent itself.
Seattle: the PNW capital city and the crown jewel of Cascadia. Seattle is just about to go to the next level but not quite there yet. An urban city with great neighborhoods and significant IT industries.
Minneapolis: the rising financial center of the Midwest and soon to be the Midwest 2nd city. It keeps the Midwest tradition of agribusiness and commodities and has a cool sidekick.
Denver: the Rocky Mount city and probably the most isolated major city of the nation. This happens to work in its favor as it is rising to national prominence
Phoenix: capital city of the Southwest, Sunbelt heavyweight, and proof that living in the desert can still be cool. It has/is surviving the recession quite well and perhaps the most underrated of the 5.

So ladies/gentlemen. Have at it. Throw out all the stats, compare & contrast them. They are similar in population and economic output. Are they in the same class? Which one will join the ranks of Phily, Boston, Dallas, Houston, Miami, and Atlanta as national front runners?
Would have voted for Denver just to knotch it above Minneapolis as Seattle is the clear winner.
First I would say that Phoenix has so much potential, and could have sparkle within a snap but it seems to do nothing more than just sit. Detroit experience its fame decades ago and it all slip as the city failed to diverse anything; the economy is made up of the auto industry and thats how everyone in that part of the state want it. Minneapolis is almost a mirror image of Detroit but has little potential and could not see the city being anything more than what it is now. Besides the small fact of the city being an ice box, it is crime ridden and a horrible economy. Denver is also interesting and has a lot to offer but falls behind Seattle. Seattle offers the outdoors environment as Denver, but it is also less isolated, near the ocean and a faster growing economy.

Old 05-28-2011, 10:36 AM

8,634 posts, read 10,163,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timeofseasons View Post
Would have voted for Denver just to knotch it above Minneapolis as Seattle is the clear winner.
First I would say that Phoenix has so much potential, and could have sparkle within a snap but it seems to do nothing more than just sit. Detroit experience its fame decades ago and it all slip as the city failed to diverse anything; the economy is made up of the auto industry and thats how everyone in that part of the state want it. Minneapolis is almost a mirror image of Detroit but has little potential and could not see the city being anything more than what it is now. Besides the small fact of the city being an ice box, it is crime ridden and a horrible economy. Denver is also interesting and has a lot to offer but falls behind Seattle. Seattle offers the outdoors environment as Denver, but it is also less isolated, near the ocean and a faster growing economy.
What does this mean? Just curious.

Old 05-28-2011, 11:29 PM

Quote:
What does this mean? Just curious.
Oh I just mean that Phoenix is a city that has potential to compete with top tier cities but it seems to fall back in doing so. Besides population, within the last decade what all have changed about Phoenix? Now look at how the cities in Texas continue to change.

Old 05-30-2011, 08:47 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,311,782 times
Quote:
Oh I just mean that Phoenix is a city that has potential to compete with top tier cities but it seems to fall back in doing so. Besides population, within the last decade what all have changed about Phoenix? Now look at how the cities in Texas continue to change.
I sort of feel the same way. But from what I hear from people who are from Phoenix, the city seems to not lack too much.

Old 05-30-2011, 09:23 PM

1,588 posts, read 4,065,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezter View Post
Well i was asking that indivisual, not you. So I don't know how you were offended by this. LOL
LOL

I wasn't offended. I asked why you doubted the poster after she/he stated an opinion.

BTW, it's individual.

Old 05-30-2011, 10:48 PM

8,634 posts, read 10,163,539 times
Quote:
Perhaps you should clarify for us how the Texas cities continue to change. Do you mean change or reinvent? Are you speaking about Dallas and Houston, because those cities boomed before Phoenix did. What do you know about Phoenix?

Old 05-31-2011, 08:06 PM

5,509 posts, read 11,886,979 times
Quote:
Did you mis-speak? Minneapolis is crime-ridden with a horrible economy??? If so, you are terribly misinformed!

Old 06-01-2011, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Did you mis-speak? Minneapolis is crime-ridden with a horrible economy??? If so, you are terribly misinformed!
Average crime index 319.2 ( a higher crime index means more crime)
Minneapolis crime index
1999: 756.6
2007: 733.1
2008: 624.2

Gary Indiana crime index
1999: 685.1
2007: 633.9
2008: 608.3

Denver
2008: 338.6

Phoenix
2009: 396

Seattle
2008: 418.8

Compton California
2007: 689.9

New York New York
2009: 234.2
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City