Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2007, 04:04 AM

1,135 posts, read 1,206,910 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureCop View Post
Chicago. LA has nicer weather, but seriously, half the time you can't go out in it due to poor air quality. Chicago has more walkable neighborhoods and better architecture, and Chicago offers many cultural amenities such as live music. No offense to Angelenos, but downtown LA is really pathetic, also.

LA's a great city--the ocean, the palms, the mountains, but as a city, I prefer Chicago.
I'd like to see Chicago's answer to Disney Hall or the Universal Amphitheatre. The largest live performance theatre in the country is The Shrine, not Radio City. What's Chicago's answer to The Greek Theatre? The Hollywood Bowl? Please, not with the live music arguement. What do the people of compact cities breathe when they're walking around the 'streets'? Heavy particulate matter from car and truck and bus exhaust and brake powder. Not to mention the carbon monoxide and diesel fumes. Yeah, you keep on walking. It's not always windy in Chicago. I would rate Chicago and New York as 'indoor' towns. Indoors in the day, indoors at night. L. A. is not so much like that, so that means they're not indoors hiding from the smog.

Old 08-05-2007, 05:59 AM

1,135 posts, read 1,206,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by downtown1 View Post
I think he got a point. Traffic gridlock, poor air quality and immigration issues are hurting LA big these days. New York, Chicago also face these problems too, but to a lesser extend.
How did U-Haul name Los Angeles its #1 destination for 2006? How did that happen?

Old 08-05-2007, 12:19 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,447,133 times
L.A. is nice to visit but Chicago is better to live in.

Old 08-05-2007, 12:54 PM

1,119 posts, read 2,741,428 times
Thats just the number of transactions compiled every year by U-Haul. Chicago was also #1 in 2004 & 2005.

Why do we care about the U-Haul survey when LA is nowhere to be found
in this study (North American cities of the future) ?

North American Cities of the Future - 2007 fDi magazine award

2007/2008 fDi North American Cities of the Future - USA

Major cities : over 2 million population

* Chicago, Illinois
* Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
* Atlanta, Georgia
* Baltimore, Maryland
* Boston, Massachusetts
* Miami, Florida
* New York City, New York
* Dallas, Texas
* Seattle, Washington

Quote:
Originally Posted by milquetoast View Post
How did U-Haul name Los Angeles its #1 destination for 2006? How did that happen?

Last edited by downtown1; 08-05-2007 at 02:11 PM..

Old 08-05-2007, 01:52 PM

Toronto is the world's most diverse city and that recognition comes from the UNESCO, not milquetoast

You were right by saying the people who immigrate to LA don't seem to mind the pollution & traffic. Last I checked, Hispanics are the majority group in LA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by milquetoast View Post
So true. New York and Chicago face gridlock to a lesser extent because they have nowhere near the amount of vehicles, registered or not, that the Los Angeles area has. They don't have the temperature inversions so effective when they trap pollution against the San Gabriel mountain range because,... they don't have mountains! And the people who immigrate to L. A. don't seem to mind the pollution and traffic because they've usually had it much worse where they came from. Making Los Angeles, again, the most diversified world culture.

Last edited by downtown1; 08-05-2007 at 02:14 PM..

Old 08-05-2007, 02:10 PM

2,904 posts, read 6,914,797 times
Chicago most definately..but not in the winter (shudders)

Old 08-05-2007, 03:21 PM

705 posts, read 3,297,408 times
Los Angeles is the place for me.
Chicago has been a large city for A LOT longer time than Los Angeles has and Los Angeles now "overshadows" Chicago. Yes, the skyline in Chicago is probably the best in the country, but like I said Chicago has been a major city for a VERY long time. The skyline downtown Los Angeles has was not there twenty years ago, even less the skylines all over Los Angeles county not only downtown. People who visit Los Angeles dont get the picture of what its really like to live here and thats because they are lost most of the time. If I had to live in the type of city that Chicago is...then I would pick NYC...NYC has a lot more going on...just like in Los Angeles, and that is why the two "overshadow" Chicago.

Old 08-05-2007, 04:03 PM

1,008 posts, read 4,025,348 times
Well, I'm more than qualified to address this topic as I've lived for many years in each city. I like them both for different reasons. Chicago offers a wider selection of culture, diversity, density, art, architecture and dining. Due to the density you can get by without a car by riding the "L" train or busses which run very well. Cost of living is far cheaper in Chicago than LA, this perhaps is the cutting factor for many people (where can I afford to live)
Don't move to California unless you have a high paying job or you'll join the homeless here (we're the state capital for homelessness)

Weather, beaches, clubs and slightly more laid back atmosphere (LA Wins)
Public Transit is NOT as bad as people make it out to be. READ: You DON'T "NEED" a car but would help if you had one. You can get anywhere you want by bus/rail.

Housing CA: $700,000 and up
One Bedroom Apt $1,3000
Studio Apt $900

Chicago: $350-400k
One Bedroom Apt $ 700
Studio $600

Both are wonderful cities but I would take Chicago for many reasons. You need to assess your interests and finances to determine what's best for you.

Old 08-05-2007, 04:44 PM

718 posts, read 2,687,874 times
Chicago doesnt have any natural beauty what so ever, save the forest preseves that werent paved over. Everything wonderful about the city is man made. Which is an impressive feat. LA has natural beauty and everything man made is somthing less than desired. People just never seem to understand that with this it is basically comparing, apples and oranges.

Old 08-05-2007, 09:25 PM

LA gets more attention because of the media (thanks to Hollywood). However, in the areas such as political influences, architecture, urban planning, technology, finance and commerce, NY and Chicago overshadow LA.

QUOTE=SurekRZA;1214709]Los Angeles is the place for me.
Chicago has been a large city for A LOT longer time than Los Angeles has and Los Angeles now "overshadows" Chicago. Yes, the skyline in Chicago is probably the best in the country, but like I said Chicago has been a major city for a VERY long time. The skyline downtown Los Angeles has was not there twenty years ago, even less the skylines all over Los Angeles county not only downtown. People who visit Los Angeles dont get the picture of what its really like to live here and thats because they are lost most of the time. If I had to live in the type of city that Chicago is...then I would pick NYC...NYC has a lot more going on...just like in Los Angeles, and that is why the two "overshadow" Chicago.[/quote]

Last edited by downtown1; 08-05-2007 at 09:46 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City