Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Dallas vs. Calgary
Dallas 30 47.62%
Calgary 33 52.38%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2011, 08:17 PM

1,103 posts, read 2,260,437 times

Advertisements

how is the qol higher in calgary? elaborate on that. dallas is cheaper, many canadians come to us for medical care, we're taxed at lower rates. is it because we don't hand failures silver platters or...?

Old 05-30-2011, 08:20 PM

10,745 posts, read 23,804,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticGermanicPride View Post
how is the qol higher in calgary? elaborate on that. dallas is cheaper, many canadians come to us for medical care, we're taxed at lower rates. is it because we don't hand failures silver platters or...?
It sounds like you're throwing a political sales pitch. Silver platter failures? How cynical. Get real. Calgary is a very prosperous city.

Last edited by Champ le monstre du lac; 05-30-2011 at 08:33 PM..

Old 05-30-2011, 09:58 PM

i'm sure it is. but that doesn't answer my question. is the quality of life better in calgary for some reason that "it's in canada?"

Old 05-30-2011, 10:25 PM

1,574 posts, read 5,115,409 times
I've been to both. Dallas is significantly bigger (metro 6 million vs. 1 million of Calgary), better shopping/ food/ entertainment, better weather throughout the year, more central to other cities, etc etc.
Calgary is not bad but it is considered one of the more mediocre cities in Canada. I think Calgary wins in scenery & crime rate though. But there is not even a real freeway in Calgary, though they do have a decent transit system.
I agree with a previous poster that Calgary is actually more like Denver than Dallas.

There are ALOT of cultural differences between Calgary and Dallas, although Calgary would be the closest to "Texas" in Canada.

Old 05-31-2011, 07:47 AM

10,745 posts, read 23,804,636 times
Quote:
i'm sure it is. but that doesn't answer my question. is the quality of life better in calgary for some reason that "it's in canada?"
Well, I'm not going to answer for that person but as you probably well know, Quality of life is pretty subjective to each individual. For me it has little to do with politics or tax burden. There are always pro's and cons to that and politicians suck everywhere anyway. I'm figuring, when I'm not working, how will I spend my free time? I'm impartial to both cities as I'd rather not deal with extreme summer heat in Dallas and extreme winter cold in Calgary. That said, if I lived in Dallas I feel I wouldn't have a whole lot to do outside of shopping, museums, and drinking margaritas and I'd probably find myself at DFW airport pretty frequently. In Calgary I'd at least find better opportunities for healthy recreation. Two National Parks (Banff & Jasper), Mountain hiking, hot springs resorts, skiing, and white water rafting to fill up my weekends. Not everyone is into the great outdoors I realize, and perhaps Dallas may have better opportunties for others for socializing, but I just think Calgary has a more atttractive setting. My .02 anyway as that's how I see QOL. Somehow I just don't see Calgary as a city with a lot of welfare queens. In fact in Canada, Calgary is among its most entrepreneuial cities.

Last edited by Champ le monstre du lac; 05-31-2011 at 07:57 AM..

Old 05-31-2011, 05:22 PM

355 posts, read 468,947 times
Quote:
Calgary is consistently ranked as one of the highest quality of life among cities. Crime rates and recreational amenities also factor within these surveys. It is also regarded as a top eco-city in the world for its low air pollution, environmental friendliness, water quality, and other public services. Calgary is #28 while Dallas is #61, respectively.

News Release: 2010 Mercer Quality of Living survey

Old 05-31-2011, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas12 View Post
Calgary is consistently ranked as one of the highest quality of life among cities. Crime rates and recreational amenities also factor within these surveys. It is also regarded as a top eco-city in the world for its low air pollution, environmental friendliness, water quality, and other public services. Calgary is #28 while Dallas is #61, respectively.

News Release: 2010 Mercer Quality of Living survey
i live in the dc area; outside of one of the most dangerous cities in the country, full of poverty, heavy traffic, supposed air pollution, and not so much environmental friendliness. i also vacation in colorado and maine and have no difference in my lung health, safety, drinking water, or any of that.

i don't buy into that bullcrap, it hasn't affected my lifestyle, i'm as strong as an ox, and extremely healthy. they're an #$$ kisser survey. my quality of life; jet skiing, motorcycle riding, landscaping, sitting on my porch, and working in my garage has me 100% content. this qol crap is tired and more retarded than just about anything ever posted here.

Old 05-31-2011, 06:24 PM

869 posts, read 1,124,434 times
Quote:
i live in the dc area; outside of one of the most dangerous cities in the country, full of poverty, heavy traffic, supposed air pollution, and not so much environmental friendliness. i also vacation in colorado and maine and have no difference in my lung health, safety, drinking water, or any of that.

i don't buy into that bullcrap, it hasn't affected my lifestyle, i'm as strong as an ox, and extremely healthy. they're an #$$ kisser survey. my quality of life; jet skiing, motorcycle riding, landscaping, sitting on my porch, and working in my garage has me 100% content. this qol crap is tired and more retarded than just about anything ever posted here.
no beating around the bush, tell us how you really feel

Dallas has Calgary beat in every caregory but two: better summers in Calgary and location(rocky mtns /Banff ntl park)

but that last one is HUGE

Old 05-31-2011, 06:56 PM

1,153 posts, read 4,557,726 times
Yes, Calgary has Banff. That alone is enough to make me want to live there.

Calgary is also a wealthier and more expensive city. Average home price is $400k but you get what you pay for. Dallas has a high American-style crime rate and has large swaths of poverty.

Calgary is just a couple hours away from this insane scenery: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ccyz...eature=related

Last edited by NYMTman; 05-31-2011 at 07:07 PM..

Old 05-31-2011, 06:58 PM

1,153 posts, read 4,557,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f1000 View Post
I've been to both. Dallas is significantly bigger (metro 6 million vs. 1 million of Calgary), better shopping/ food/ entertainment, better weather throughout the year, more central to other cities, etc etc.
Calgary is not bad but it is considered one of the more mediocre cities in Canada. I think Calgary wins in scenery & crime rate though. But there is not even a real freeway in Calgary, though they do have a decent transit system.
I agree with a previous poster that Calgary is actually more like Denver than Dallas.

There are ALOT of cultural differences between Calgary and Dallas, although Calgary would be the closest to "Texas" in Canada.
Calgary has the Deerfoot... there are 'real' freeways.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City