Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2011, 11:49 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,199,026 times

Advertisements

1. New York City - I don't care who you are and where you live; no one has a reason to be an condescending jerk.

2. DC - Majority of their posters are still stuck in the hood and brag about worthless stuff.

3. Atlanta - You have some awesome posters from there; than you have those who are beyond delusional and helpless.

4. LA/SF - Normally they're good, but lately they've been reaching with their statements and opinions of other places.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2011, 11:58 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,927,598 times
Nyc

chicago

dc

la

houston

sf

atl

boston

philly

Old 07-22-2011, 07:46 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,150,335 times
A LOT
It's two different words.

Old 07-22-2011, 10:46 AM

1,909 posts, read 3,781,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgiraffe View Post
1. New York City - I don't care who you are and where you live; no one has a reason to be an condescending jerk.

2. DC - Majority of their posters are still stuck in the hood and brag about worthless stuff.

3. Atlanta - You have some awesome posters from there; than you have those who are beyond delusional and helpless.

4. LA/SF - Normally they're good, but lately they've been reaching with their statements and opinions of other places.
This.

Old 07-22-2011, 10:50 AM

55 posts, read 163,026 times
I see a lot of people love to talk about Washington, D.C., someone told me that there are a lot of people from there on here.

Old 07-22-2011, 11:06 AM

6,625 posts, read 14,452,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
Ouch! Really?

Most of us will defend our city when we we're attacked unfairly (i.e. "Boston's racist because of what happened with busing in the 70s." etc.). However, I think (on this forum, anyway) most of us are more than willing to participate in give/take debates. Go read the Boston v. Seattle thread for a great recent example. One of the most amicable "debates" on City-Data (that compliment extends to the Seattle C-D crew as well).
Yea, I think most Boston people (at least on this site) get pretty defensive when it comes to the race thing. It was a terrible situation that happened 40 years ago, but some outsiders seem to think if I (as a white guy) see a black dude walking down the street I'm gonna call him a n***** and spit in his coffee. If you're a person who is respectful of other races and you hear others claiming you and your city are incredibly racist, of course you're going to be defensive. That said, I've definitely heard my share of racism from the blue-collar bunch around the city (though I think every city is this way--I've certainly heard it when meeting friends in NYC).

Quote:
If anything, most idealize other places (Many up here think Florida is Shangri La)
Hahaha, thank you for bringing this up! Most who are college grads, white-collar workers, etc. seem to be a bit cooler on Florida, but anyone who is a) Blue Collar b) Addicted to oxycontin or c) both seems to think that Florida is some sort of mythical paradise. Eventually they move down to some part of Central Florida, realize it sucks, and then come back up here and then talk about how crappy winter is here and that they're going to go back to Florida again someday.

Old 07-22-2011, 01:01 PM

717 posts, read 898,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgiraffe View Post

Yes to the Atlantans. I miss that city like crazy, but visiting their forum I'm reminded of just how self absorbed and clueless people from there can be. Like some of them actually believe their town is an oasis of urban living and world culture that isn't dominated by massive suburban sprawl. They talk mighty big for a city that's still black and blue from that ass kicking it took during the recession.

Yeah New Yorkers are annoying and some are corny as hell but atleast they have a damn good reason to be a pain in the ass. NYC is fantastic and there's really no denying it.

Old 07-22-2011, 01:11 PM

1,085 posts, read 1,789,328 times
Atlanta, Houston, Miami. Austin also but Austin seems to get boosters from everywhere not just local city boosters.

Old 07-22-2011, 02:28 PM

7,528 posts, read 10,252,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewcifer View Post
Cities don't brag, they aren't people.
That said, nearly every city (including my own) has at least one poster on CD who makes outrageous and unsubstantiated claims. You've seen them:

>The Hollywood sign is America's Number 1 symbol.
>The Bay Area has the best schools/climate/QOL and worldwide fame of any US city. Just look at the surveys.
>Arizona politics are progressive.
>Houston is the biggest party city in the US.
>18 people voted for Dallas as the downtown most similar in look and feel to NYC.
>Chicago has more culture than NY.
>Atlanta is replacing LA as the cultural center of the US. And our summers are cooler than Boston's.
>Charlotte is a major city dammit!
>Philadelphia invented liberty.
>DC is the third most vibrant downtown in the US.
>My city's restaurants/nightlife/PT/freeways/suburbs/density/diversity/etc. are better than your city's restaurants/nightlife/PT/freeways/suburbs/density/diversity/etc. Because I said so. Even though I've never been to your city.

Some cities have more of such posters on this forum; some have fewer. The only cities I see fairly immune from this kind of BS right now are Boston, NYC and Miami. Enjoy it while it lasts. It's only a matter of time before some kid with a laptop becomes your cross to bear.

Last edited by Pine to Vine; 07-22-2011 at 03:08 PM.. Reason: correct typo

Old 07-22-2011, 02:48 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,910,863 times
I would honestly have to say: NYC, SF and Philly; if you asked me a month ago, I would've included the ABS ( Atlanta Booster Squad), but they seemed to have calmed down a bit..

If you want to pick on Boston, that's OK with me. I like it, but not as much as "Tmac" does...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City