Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2007, 12:06 PM

6,562 posts, read 12,044,134 times

Advertisements

Dirtiest: Detroit or L.A.
Cleanest: Denver and Seattle
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2007, 12:11 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,579,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hustla718 View Post
Dirtiest? NYC. I would blame the foot traffic but some things can not be contributed to that. Massive amounts of graffiti, no city comes close. Some areas are full of run down properties for miles. Trash on the highways. Trash in the wealthy and tourist areas. Beaches are filthy. Air is horrible especially in Uptown Manhattan and the Bronx. Filthy transit system. Even the airports are dirty. Pretty damn dirty. I guess the grim gives it some character.

Cleanest? After you leave NYC everywhere else seems clean. However the cleanest city I have been to was Orlando, Florida. I guess it's becuase a lot of people drive.
Why would foot traffic cause a city to be dirty, and driving cause a city to be clean?

Old 08-13-2007, 12:12 PM

1,529 posts, read 2,798,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTownNative View Post
Is there a good website to see pictures of NYC housing projects?
Live Local Search

Use birds eye view.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
Why would foot traffic cause a city to be dirty, and driving cause a city to be clean?
People throwing trash on the floor.

Old 08-13-2007, 01:08 PM

151 posts, read 739,636 times
Dirtiest: Toledo
Cleanest: Washington DC

Old 08-13-2007, 01:41 PM

9,375 posts, read 20,795,594 times
Hustla718, after that pictoral, I'd have to say that was a slam dunk. You made your point with an exclamation. How disgusting.

Old 08-13-2007, 01:47 PM

1,008 posts, read 4,025,701 times
NY is not as filthy as people make it out to be. Sure those pictures are real but you'll find that in any large city. I like a little dirt w/edge to any city but that's just disgusting. I would say those pics came from the Harlem and Bronx ghetto's. Remember that not all of Bronx and Harlem looks like that. You have areas of wretched poverty and better pockets. I've seen much worse.

Old 08-13-2007, 02:03 PM

304 posts, read 1,430,570 times
These cities left an impression with me....

Dirtiest: Las Vegas, along the freeways. I was astounded/disgusted by all the litter on the sides of the freeways when we drove through there. It was pretty sad (not necessarily the caliber of the NYC photos above though). It looked like trash bags had exploded all over the place.

Cleanest: The city that surprised me as being much cleaner than I expected would have to be Pittsburgh. My husband kept telling me it has cleaned up, but I didn't really believe him until I finally visited the city a few years ago.

Old 08-13-2007, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supernova7 View Post
NY is not as filthy as people make it out to be. Sure those pictures are real but you'll find that in any large city. I like a little dirt w/edge to any city but that's just disgusting. I would say those pics came from the Harlem and Bronx ghetto's. Remember that not all of Bronx and Harlem looks like that. You have areas of wretched poverty and better pockets. I've seen much worse.
All those photos are from wealthy neighborhoods in Manhattan. Only the ones I seperated and pointed out are from the hoods of the city.

There is a lot of trash but it's not that big a deal unless you are a clean freak. Big cities are dirty. Although some things are dangerous to the public like unsanitary conditions in the subway system (Think subway fires) and air pollution.

Hey at least the water is okay so long as your pipes aren't rotting.

This thread needs more pictures though... Philly also appears to be filthy.

Old 08-13-2007, 02:33 PM

2,367 posts, read 7,653,873 times
Hustla718 you siad NYCs housing projects were really dirty and decrepit inside of them.Do you got any pics of the inside of the projects?

Old 08-13-2007, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTownNative View Post
Hustla718 you siad NYCs housing projects were really dirty and decrepit inside of them.Do you got any pics of the inside of the projects?
Most of the times the halls are pretty clear, minus some trash like papers and small garbage along the edges. Maybe some graffiti. In the PJ's public spaces are made easy to clean with a hose. Cinderblock walls. Back in the early 90's used to be graffiti on the floors, cielings, and walls. In the halls, lobbies, and stairwells especially. NYCHA made graffiti a major priority by the mid 90's.

These days most trash is in the lobbies, on the grounds in front of buildings, and in the elevators. Then again it has really always been like that.

That trash leads to this pretty often:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City