Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-31-2011, 11:20 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,895,654 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
hello UT austin is one of biggest Tier one Schools. so is Texas A&M

Not sure I would agree. They are in the same level as a PSU, Pitt, or Ohio State; Not on the level of Harvard/MIT/Princeton/Penn/Stanford

though gaining notoriety they are not at this level
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2011, 11:32 AM

18,495 posts, read 32,933,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Not sure I would agree. They are in the same level as a PSU, Pitt, or Ohio State; Not on the level of Harvard/MIT/Princeton/Penn/Stanford

though gaining notoriety they are not at this level
You are not agreeing on what? How many Tier one schools are bigger than UT and A&M? Those two are ginormous. I can only think of ASU and UM that are bigger Tier one schools. So I dunno what you are disagreeing about.
PSU is the biggest school on your list and it is 6,000 students smaller than UT.

anyway I was not saying that UT is the only big tier one. If you read what I said was that it is one of the Biggest Tier one schools so he should know about it.

So are you disagreeing with the fact that UT is one of the biggest Tier one schools??

Old 08-31-2011, 11:42 AM

6,625 posts, read 14,452,056 times
Quote:
hello UT austin is one of biggest Tier one Schools. so is Texas A&M
and there is no maybe for Rice. It is a quality school anyway you look at it. Good academics, excellent research, huge endowment, quality professors, quality publications etc etc
UT Austin and Texas A&M elite?! haha you must be joking? They're both good schools, don't get me wrong...but by elite, I'm meaning schools that are among the Top 15 in the country. I'd say 5-15 are elite, with seven(Harvard, Stanford, MIT, Princeton, Yale, Cal Tech, UPenn) being considered uber-elite.

To suggest UT or Texas A&M are elite is laughable.

Rice is right on the edge of this. I think it falls into the "Great School-fringe elite" category with Notre Dame, Vanderbilt, Georgetown, and Emory.

Those are all great schools, but I don't think people are going to say they're as good as Brown, Dartmouth, Columbia, or Duke.

Quote:
You are not agreeing on what? How many Tier one schools are bigger than UT and A&M? Those two are ginormous. I can only think of ASU and UM that are bigger Tier one schools. So I dunno what you are disagreeing about.
PSU is the biggest school on your list and it is 6,000 students smaller than UT.
There is an enormous difference between being a big school (or as you say, Tier 1) and being an elite school. Both A&M and UT are big, neither are elite.

UT-System has 140,000+ students (Austin 50,000+). A&M has 100,000+ (College Station 46,000+). No schools of that size are "elite".

Old 08-31-2011, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
UT Austin and Texas A&M elite?! haha you must be joking? They're both good schools, don't get me wrong...but by elite, I'm meaning schools that are among the Top 15 in the country. I'd say 5-15 are elite, with seven(Harvard, Stanford, MIT, Princeton, Yale, Cal Tech, UPenn) being considered uber-elite.

Rice is right on the edge of this. I think it falls into the "Great School-fringe elite" category with Notre Dame, Vanderbilt, Georgetown, and Emory.

Those are all great schools, but I don't think people are going to say they're as good as Brown, Dartmouth, Columbia, or Duke.
you can laugh all you want they are both Tier one Schools.

and don't be so ignorant. Rice is ranked Higher than Notre Dame, Emory, Vanderbilt and Georgetown. only ignorant northeastern no nothings would say it is a fringe school.

If it is a fringe school then so is UCLA.
Rice usually ranks between 12-18 in the country. Anyway I see the Elite schools as the top 61 Tier schools. Not much difference among those.

Old 08-31-2011, 11:50 AM

Quote:

There is an enormous difference between being a big school (or as you say, Tier 1) and being an elite school. Both A&M and UT are big, neither are elite.

UT-System has 140,000+ students (Austin 50,000+). A&M has 100,000+ (College Station 46,000+). No schools of that size are "elite".
stop being daft. I am speaking of schools not systems.

and I know there is a difference between big and elite. what I said was that it is one of the big elite ones. It is hard to escape a school as big as UT and it being Tier one how can you not know about it???

Old 08-31-2011, 11:51 AM

6,625 posts, read 14,452,056 times
[quote=HtownLove;20687719]you can laugh all you want they are both Tier one Schools.

Quote:
and don't be so ignorant. Rice is ranked Higher than Notre Dame, Emory, Vanderbilt and Georgetown.
According to US News, it's right next to all of them...I'd say they're all in the same class.

Quote:
only ignorant northeastern no nothings would say it is a fringe school.
No, just someone with a different opinion than you. If I'm an "ignorant northeastern no nothing", then you're just a homer Texan.

Quote:
I would say UCLA is below "fringe". It's a very good school. Below Rice I would think.

Quote:
Rice usually ranks between 12-18 in the country. Anyway I see the Elite schools as the top 61 Tier schools. Not much difference among those.
TOP 61 SCHOOLS?! Not much difference?! Is this a typo?

You're telling me "there's not much difference" between Rice and Harvard? Princeton and Texas A&M? Yale and UT Austin? Get real. If what you said was a typo, then fine...but if not...I don't even know what to say.

Old 08-31-2011, 11:51 AM

312 posts, read 436,686 times
Quote:

Ordinarily your posts make sense and I normally agree with many of them but this one doesn't. So elite now is the same thing as Tier One? Tier one goes until the 50's in rankings, its the top tier of schools in the country out of the 9,000 registered colleges and universities in the country and in no way implies that "tier one" is the same thing as "elite". Tier one is large enough to have sub classes under it.

Boston's elite schools are Harvard, M.I.T, and Brown and that's it. Boston University, Boston College, Tufts, and everything else is "tier one" and good but not an elite. I was readying HtownLove's post and no where did he even say UT is a elite school, simply said tier one. So I'm not understanding what you're elitist attitude is about when you say laughable when really UT is a great school. How about showing more respect? Rice being 15-17 in rankings and having an acceptance rate of 21% and only accepting in the first 10% of the high school graduating class to few open fillers in the first quarter makes it an elite school, the only elite school for Texas. Yes its no Harvard but really.

What I find laughable is how you don't cop out the posters who place Drexel as an "elite" school but are right there for someone from Texas doing it to UT. Drexel is good and is a tier one but its in no way an elite school.

Now my post isn't meant to show any disrespect to you, but really ease up on the bashing you have for places like Florida or Texas, constantly trying to degrade good schools and good assets doesn't make you look like a hero. Also I don't think many here know what "tier one" really means and how large that tier is.

Old 08-31-2011, 11:54 AM

Quote:
you can laugh all you want they are both Tier one Schools.

and don't be so ignorant. Rice is ranked Higher than Notre Dame, Emory, Vanderbilt and Georgetown. only ignorant northeastern no nothings would say it is a fringe school.

Yep PSU UPenn no difference

And also UCLA has a much better rep nationally than does UT or A&M (PSU for that matter), this is no slight to these schools but really they are not there yet and to suggest they are on the same level with the elite schools is just silly or uninformed. Honestly this suggestion is simple-minded

Old 08-31-2011, 11:54 AM

here is the un-opinionated list of Elite schools in the US:Brandeis University (1985)
Brown University (1933)
California Institute of Technology (1934)
Carnegie Mellon University (1982)
Case Western Reserve University (1969)
Columbia University (1900)
Cornell University (1900)
Duke University (1938)
Emory University (1995)
Georgia Institute of Technology (2010)
Harvard University (1900)
Indiana University (1909)
Iowa State University (1958)
The Johns Hopkins University (1900)
Massachusetts Institute of Technology (1934)
McGill University (1926)
Michigan State University (1964)
New York University (1950)
Northwestern University (1917)
The Ohio State University (1916)
The Pennsylvania State University (1958)
Princeton University (1900)
Purdue University (1958)
Rice University (1985)
Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey (1989)
Stanford University (1900)
Stony Brook University-State University of New York (2001)
Texas A&M University (2001)
Tulane University (1958)
The University of Arizona (1985)
University at Buffalo, The State University of New York (1989)
University of California, Berkeley (1900)
University of California, Davis (1996)
University of California, Irvine (1996)
University of California, Los Angeles (1974)
University of California, San Diego (1982)
University of California, Santa Barbara (1995)
The University of Chicago (1900)
University of Colorado at Boulder (1966)
University of Florida (1985)
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (1908)
The University of Iowa (1909)
The University of Kansas (1909)
University of Maryland, College Park (1969)
University of Michigan (1900)
University of Minnesota, Twin Cities (1908)
University of Missouri-Columbia (1908)
The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill (1922)
University of Oregon (1969)
University of Pennsylvania (1900)
University of Pittsburgh (1974)
University of Rochester (1941)
University of Southern California (1969)
The University of Texas at Austin (1929)
University of Toronto (1926)
University of Virginia (1904)
University of Washington (1950)
The University of Wisconsin-Madison (1900)
Vanderbilt University (1950)
Washington University in St. Louis (1923)
Yale University (1900)

No Northeastern Elitism here.

Old 08-31-2011, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Social Network View Post
Ordinarily your posts make sense and I normally agree with many of them but this one doesn't. So elite now is the same thing as Tier One? Tier one goes until the 50's in rankings, its the top tier of schools in the country out of the 9,000 registered colleges and universities in the country and in no way implies that "tier one" is the same thing as "elite". Tier one is large enough to have sub classes under it.

Boston's elite schools are Harvard, M.I.T, and Brown and that's it. Boston University, Boston College, Tufts, and everything else is "tier one" and good but not an elite. I was readying HtownLove's post and no where did he even say UT is a elite school, simply said tier one. So I'm not understanding what you're elitist attitude is about when you say laughable when really UT is a great school. How about showing more respect? Rice being 15-17 in rankings and having an acceptance rate of 21% and only accepting in the first 10% of the high school graduating class to few open fillers in the first quarter makes it an elite school, the only elite school for Texas. Yes its no Harvard but really.

What I find laughable is how you don't cop out the posters who place Drexel as an "elite" school but are right there for someone from Texas doing it to UT. Drexel is good and is a tier one but its in no way an elite school.

Now my post isn't meant to show any disrespect to you, but really ease up on the bashing you have for places like Florida or Texas, constantly trying to degrade good schools and good assets doesn't make you look like a hero. Also I don't think many here know what "tier one" really means and how large that tier is.

Drexel is not an elite school. A good school but definately not elite

These schools are great asets no doubt but to suggest A&M (or even Rice) is on the same level as Stanford or Princeton is silly
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City