Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-03-2011, 11:29 AM

20,515 posts, read 33,531,365 times

Advertisements

I know I need to visit Brookwood Hills in Atlanta in person to see. But from what I am seeing on google maps, that type of development is NOT common in DFW or Houston.

Old 09-03-2011, 12:45 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,206,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I know I need to visit Brookwood Hills in Atlanta in person to see. But from what I am seeing on google maps, that type of development is NOT common in DFW or Houston.
He was talking about the lot sizes.

Old 09-03-2011, 03:29 PM

4,843 posts, read 6,101,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgiraffe View Post
yes yes thank you.

Old 09-03-2011, 07:18 PM

20,515 posts, read 33,531,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgiraffe View Post
I know that. And they have little to nothing in common.

Old 09-04-2011, 01:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trae713 View Post
That is simply not true. The places in Houston receiving the most infill is in the Inner Loop. Because of no zoning, new developments pop up all over the place. And as far as LA vs. Boston goes, it depends on where in LA you are, because LA is pretty dense/urban in many places.
I never said LA isn't dense I even said it's the dense urban area in country, I said if one was to walk around both city one would conclude Boston is more urban.

Quote:
On average, lot sizes in Houston/DFW are smaller than the ones in Atlanta. Don't know what you're trying to say here. Why do you think both of those urban areas are denser than Atlanta? And if you think Houston and DFW don't have areas like Sweet Auburn in them, then you obviously didn't explore Houston or DFW enough. Didn't you try and use Arlington as an example when comparing Dallas to Atlanta once? How long did you even live in DFW, and visit Houston? And who said Houston's core was built denser than Atlanta (though overall, it is)? New Orleans' core doesn't have as much density anymore because of Katrina and people living, but Atlanta can't compare to New Orleans' build, which is more like a dense European city. Like many have already said, Atlanta's core, since it is primarily along one urban road (Peachtree) and one area, is more vibrant. DFW has two different cores of activity. Houston has one giant core with different nodes inside.
Again your not trying to listen, Atlanta has different lot sizes depending on the city or part of a city. Atlanta’s Brookwood Hills neighborhood has the lot size that's most common in DFW and Houston. Atlanta Druid hills lots are lot larger then what usually found DFW and Houston which is why I’m using Brookwood hills. Brookwood hills is the average lot size in the city of Houston and Dallas, and across their metro. Houston has neighborhoods develop dense like sweet Auburn or Atlanta’s 4th ward? post them!!!!!!!!!!!!!. None of Houston historic wards that touch Downtown have the consistent development like sweet auburn and etc. Don‘t get wrong there‘s a few blocks but it‘s not consistent. Half of the neighborhoods I’m naming in Atlanta don’t even have drive ways, and as far as yards go it’s tiny to street level, and homes are place next to each other, other wise Brookwood hills lot size bigger. Atlanta had, 331,314 people in 36.9 sq mi in 1950s. Atlanta now has 420,003 people in 132.4 sq mi 2010. That 36.9 sq miles is Atlanta core it held 3/4 of today population with in less than 1/3 the area. Atlanta has a much higher vacancy rate then Houston and Dallas, and also Atlanta has been though a lot larger population loss in the core. Atlanta core feels bigger than Dallas and Houston even though the it‘s actually smaller by pop. Point.

I had family in Houston until they move to Austin a few years ago, now DFW on other hand I only lived there a few year less than I have live in Atlanta actually, I grew up back and fourth between DFW and ATL other wise I know DFW just as good as I do Atlanta. If you question me about DFW you might as well question about Atlanta too just saying. But speaking of Arlington TX yes Arlington TX is built like giant Brookwood hills.

Midtown and Downtown. are right next to each other, and from a distance that create a allusion of a linear skyline in which posters assume to be all base off of Peachtree street because they it know it's busiest and it's the most know road. ) but reality is....
Midtown

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/152/3...e09a4a5a56.jpg
Downtown
http://www.flickr.com/photos/29387580@N04/4385833858/sizes/z/in/photostream/

New Orleans population was declining before Katrina since the 70s but yes that my point New Orleans is built denser and appear more urban no matter the population to Atlanta, Houston, and Dallas. Atlanta core is built denser no matter Houston population in the loop. Again Houston has a bunch of Atlanta’s Brookwood Hills and more apartments. How about this on average Houston home lots are smaller than Atlanta, but at same time on average Atlanta core home lots smaller than Houston core. Houston has cabbagetown like neighborhoods really? Name and Post them. My point that population density it’s Houston, Atlanta, New Orleans but actual dense development it’s New Orleans, Atlanta, Houston at the core.

Quote:
But if people are going to move here anyway, it'd be pretty dumb not to build them. That would just increase the traffic problem. You're acting like everyone moving to Metro Atlanta is going to move into Atlanta's core. Houston and Dallas have much better transportation networks overall (freeways, arterial streets, transit). Look at a map of each metro and compare. The layout/planning is not even close and is in Houston/Dallas' favor. Have you seen the cores of Houston and Dallas lately (even Fort Worth)? The first two have grown as much, if not more, than Atlanta in their cores. Outside of it, they have freeways and grids criss-crossing the metro area. Grids funnel traffic better than the winding streets of Atlanta. I bet you're going to try and say Boston has winding roads (you have before) and like I always say, the mass transit system in Boston is top-notch. Atlanta is lucky to have the heavy rail already, but don't act like that makes it that much more urban than Houston and Dallas (each with their own rail systems).
Not just Atlanta core but areas in the suburbs with better transportation options, they will infill heavily too. it's call transportation oriented development. Areas with better transportation will become denser areas with bad transportation will remain low dense. Too fix Atlanta transit issues your going yall need to build more roads so people can travel easier "which is hard to do", Atlanta leaders are going NO, build more mix residential or commercial centers so people have a less need to travel.

Dude I'm not saying Atlanta is Boston, I'm saying Boston is more of a model city for Atlanta leaders, and what Atlanta is looking at for the Future development. DFW and Houston grid is irreverent. Atlanta as much of a shot to infil like Boston, as Houston and Dallas is to Chicago or LA.

PS I visit DFW a lot, still have family in Oakcliff (Dallas), Denton, Euless, Arlington, Irving and the Southside Fort Worth.

Quote:
Look, Atlanta's core isn't denser than Houston's (fact) and I'm not sure about Dallas. Many of the new urbanism projects you posted for Atlanta are like small neighborhoods off of some winding road. Yeah, the homes are built close together, but everyone still has to drive. In Houston and Dallas, because of the grid, it makes it easier to funnel traffic and easier for walking. All three are about the same, but I think because of the planning going on in Dallas and Houston that they will be ahead in the future. Only advantage Atlanta has is heavy rail (which is a good advantage to have, but not the end all, be all).
Atlanta core is build denser than Houston fact, Houston has a denser population due to Atlanta vacancy rate fact. And then when did Houston and Dallas light rail even became close to Atlanta in ridership? Anyway here the difference from criticism and some one being a troll (I’m not saying you) but the critic doesn’t care about fixing or improving the issue, as meaning they would become upset there are improvements or plans to fix what they are criticizing.

Old 09-04-2011, 01:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I know that. And they have little to nothing in common.
I sorry but what? If you don’t like these dude post Houston lots that you believe are average then.

houston - Google Maps

houston - Google Maps

houston - Google Maps

houston - Google Maps

houston - Google Maps

houston - Google Maps

houston - Google Maps

houston - Google Maps

houston - Google Maps

Brookwood Hills, Atlanta, GA - Google Maps

Point is on average Houston home lots are smaller because Atlanta has neighborhoods like Druid Hills, Adamsville and etc. But don't make Houston home lots like the tiniest thing, Atlanta has plenty of neighborhoods that fit Houston home lots size Brookwood hills was just an example.
--------------------------------

Atlanta core is built denser.

These are just a few neighborhoods around midtown and Downtown Atlanta. If yall want to attempt to post neighborhoods around Houston's core 1. Don't post condos, loft and crap, Post historic or remodel, homes or apartments to understand the historic lay out, non of this is new urbanism. 2. Post at least 5 links instead of giving the okey dock, a very develop dense street but the neighborhood itself is not develop or connected block by block other wise it's not a neighborhood but a dense street. 3. Most of what yall are calling small lots are medium, in extreme case try to post no yard or no drive ways but the goal is overall very tiny.

Sweet Aurburn
Atlanta, GA sweet auburn - Google Maps

old Fourth ward
Atlanta, GA old Fourth Ward - Google Maps

cabbagetown
Atlanta, GA cabbagetown - Google Maps

Summer hill
Atlanta, GA summerhill - Google Maps

Last time some one try to pass off 3rd ward in Houston, but 3rd ward really fails number 2. above it's like vine city.

Not what I'm taking about.

Atlanta, GA vine city - Google Maps

Houston TX 3rd ward - Google Maps

Old 09-04-2011, 10:49 AM

396 posts, read 601,494 times
i think it should be repeated (as it's a pretty surprising fact) that ATL did have 9000 ppsm in 1950, (331k in 37 sq mi) far higher than dfw/hou and a number of other cities, even some in the north. that's higher than seattle and as high as baltimore, now. i think it's definitely possible that we could get near that level again for this original area when the beltline really takes off.

Old 09-04-2011, 12:11 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,943,565 times
I Think some on here are confusing Houston core home lots with Houston outer lots.

Have you guys seen the lot sizes in Montrose, The Heights, most of 3rd ward, 5th ward, the Baeswood areas south of Meyerland, some of the homes in Meyerland itself, Sharpstown, the SE side, gulfton, Hiram Clarke, all these areas are on tiny lots where the space between the houses are about 10- 15 feet away and only has a small backyard.

I think people on here are thinking of the homes closer to the beltway or out in the burbs. Even a lot of the homes down Richmond are on small lots. the only thing that ruins the density levels in those areas are the large streets and strip malls that are every couple of blocks. almost all the major streets outside the loop and inside the beltway are huge 4-6 lane urban roads.

Old 09-04-2011, 12:16 PM

312 posts, read 437,004 times
More like the big 5 of the south with Miami, Houston, Washington, Atlanta, and Metroplex. The Metroplex obviously being the largest and Atlanta the smallest have 1.1 million in difference of population but ALL of them are growing differently because all have different restrictions and geographical barriers. While all sprawl with Miami being considerably minimal, they all sprawl differently, it is not the same and should not be treated as such.

Old 09-04-2011, 12:30 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Social Network View Post
More like the big 5 of the south with Miami, Houston, Washington, Atlanta, and Metroplex. The Metroplex obviously being the largest and Atlanta the smallest have 1.1 million in difference of population but ALL of them are growing differently because all have different restrictions and geographical barriers. While all sprawl with Miami being considerably minimal, they all sprawl differently, it is not the same and should not be treated as such.
Oh boy, here we go...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City