Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2011, 02:08 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,544,005 times

Advertisements

Quote:
I can't really imagine living in Hou or Dallas then if Atlanta is that far ahead of them... I've been there but didn't really pay much attention to the layout. B/C I thought ATL was still relatively poor compared to say Boston, which is relatively poor compared to say NYC or virtually any city in Europe. ATL does have heavy rail and the footprint grid of a fairly linear area to fill in, but you guys are right, it might be the only one that has a future of development.
I think he is exaggerating.

If Atlanta is ahead, fine. But to say they are far ahead as if Houston and Dallas is remaining stagant and suburban is false. Atlanta is focusing on highrises for it's infill. That's great. Houston and Dallas infill is DIFFERENT. I said this in the Houston vs Atlanta highrise condo thread. No city besides NYC is building multifamily complexes over the past year like Houston. DFW was at number 5. Atlanta wasn't even in the top 20. DFW does have more of a mix compared to Houston to be fair and Houston has built some and I stress that some residential highrises. Most newer highrises are complexes, single family homes, and townhomes.

Most of Houston's infill comprises of midrise multifamily complexes and several of them are under construction as we speak and many will start construction in the very near future. Houston is also building denser single family homes and townhomes in it's core. You can keep repeating that Atlanta has a higher walkscore Does not mean that it's DC or anything. You're much closer to Houston and Dallas than you are to DC let alone Philly or Boston.

Atlanta was number 20 in walkscore at 52.9
Houston was number 23 in walkscore at 49.8
Dallas was number 30 in walkscore at 46.9

Not a huge difference especially between Houston and Atlanta. Like was previously said, Houston and Dallas are currently expanding their rail systems and both have new ordinances to allow a more walkable cohesive environment in it's core and the area surrounding it's core. For Houston example, it's the majority of the loop plus galleria. For Dallas it's Uptown, Turtle Creek and Deep Ellum and North Oak Cliff to the South. To act like this isn't happening shows that you really don't want to give these two cities any credit to what they are doing.

Old 09-01-2011, 02:11 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,953,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I think he is exaggerating.

If Atlanta is ahead, fine. But to say they are far ahead as if Houston and Dallas is remaining stagant and suburban is false. Atlanta is focusing on highrises for it's infill. That's great. Houston and Dallas infill is DIFFERENT. I said this in the Houston vs Atlanta highrise condo thread. No city besides NYC is building multifamily complexes over the past year like Houston. DFW was at number 5. Atlanta wasn't even in the top 20. DFW does have more of a mix compared to Houston to be fair and Houston has built some and I stress that some residential highrises. Most newer highrises are complexes, single family homes, and townhomes.

Most of Houston's infill comprises of midrise multifamily complexes and several of them are under construction as we speak and many will start construction in the very near future. Houston is also building denser single family homes and townhomes in it's core. You can keep repeating that Atlanta has a higher walkscore Does not mean that it's DC or anything. You're much closer to Houston and Dallas than you are to DC let alone Philly or Boston.

Atlanta was number 20 in walkscore at 52.9
Houston was number 23 in walkscore at 49.8
Dallas was number 30 in walkscore at 46.9

Not a huge difference especially between Houston and Atlanta. Like was previously said, Houston and Dallas are currently expanding their rail systems and both have new ordinances to allow a more walkable cohesive environment in it's core and the area surrounding it's core. For Houston example, it's the majority of the loop plus galleria. For Dallas it's Uptown, Turtle Creek and Deep Ellum and North Oak Cliff to the South. To act like this isn't happening shows that you really don't want to give these two cities any credit to what they are doing.
don't know how much of an infill ATL is doing. the city only grew by 4,000. Not the 200K people were predicting. I guess if it was really 200K that would cause some serious in fill. but 4000??? puhlease

Old 09-01-2011, 02:13 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,925,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
I would like to see you prove that. Houston has 20K zip codes in the southwest. does ATL have those?

The greenway hood is even more dense.

As for the core, Houston has more people in its inner loop (which is smaller than ATL by 50 sq miles) than the entire city of ATL. ATLs core is NOT as dense as Houston, and within that loop there are quite a few active areas.

edit; just checked: ATL's densest zip code is 12K ppsm.

major fail on that argument

Honestly to me the ATL DT has more activity and more beyond business hours than does the Houston DT or anywhere i have spent time in Houston, as a city or loop comparison overall Houston has more development but in the DT the ATL has more vibrancy. the Atlanta DT retains more of the original development which has aspects more similar to older DTs in the NE as an example, that aspect plays out. I honestly find more city vibrance in the DT/MT area of ATL than I do in anyplace in Houston or DFW. Now just outside of these areas there can be a more significant dropoff and this to me is where a Houston has more areas with vibrance, but to me a lesser Apex area if that makes sense.

I like old school urbanity and among these cities MT ATL is probably my favorite, followed by Ft Worths DT for me personally. I also have seen many areas of Houston getting better and do really like the Rice (is it village area) a lot and also areas of the galleria that catch me in a slightly different way yet very cool. Also in the 15+ years i have been going to houston the transformation of the Galleria (whole city really) area has been pretty amazing to me personally

Old 09-01-2011, 02:20 PM

And when I say dense single family homes, I mean these new neighborhoods that are going up.
Houston, TX - Google Maps

This is what the newer hoods are going to look like in the future in Houston (which I why I disagree to an extent with people saying Houston looks like Dallas because I don't believe Dallas has these type of homes going up in great numbers like Houston).

Quote:
Honestly to me the ATL DT has more activity and more beyond business hours than does the Houston DT or anywhere i have spent time in Houston, as a city or loop comparison overall Houston has more development but in the DT the ATL has more vibrancy. the Atlanta DT retains more of the original development which has aspects more similar to older DTs in the NE as an example, that aspect plays out. I honestly find more city vibrance in the DT/MT area of ATL than I do in anyplace in Houston or DFW. Now just outside of these areas there can be a more significant dropoff and this to me is where a Houston has more areas with vibrance, but to me a lesser Apex area if that makes sense.
I won't disagree with you there KidPhilly. Atlanta does have a more vibrant and bustling core. Houston and Dallas makes up for it or should I say, catches up to Atlanta with it's surrounding neighborhoods. I'll say Atlanta will probably have the more urban and vibrant core and city. Houston will have the more urban and vibrant metro.

Quote:
don't know how much of an infill ATL is doing. the city only grew by 4,000. Not the 200K people were predicting. I guess if it was really 200K that would cause some serious in fill. but 4000??? puhlease
I forgot to mention that part of his post. Atlanta grew from 416,000 to 420,000, right? That's not much difference than what Dallas experienced.

Old 09-01-2011, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post

I like old school urbanity and among these cities MT ATL is probably my favorite, followed by Ft Worths DT for me personally. I also have seen many areas of Houston getting better and do really like the Rice (is it village area) a lot and also areas of the galleria that catch me in a slightly different way yet very cool. Also in the 15+ years i have been going to houston the transformation of the Galleria (whole city really) area has been pretty amazing to me personally
he said Atl's midtown is denser than anything in houston. That is false no matter which areas you prefer. when you here me start talking about which is more active you can jump in. No need telling me which has more oranges when I correct him on which has more bananas

Old 09-01-2011, 02:21 PM

8,486 posts, read 14,999,411 times
Quote:
I would like to see you prove that. Houston has 20K zip codes in the southwest. does ATL have those?

The greenway hood is even more dense.

As for the core, Houston has more people in its inner loop (which is smaller than ATL by 50 sq miles) than the entire city of ATL. ATLs core is NOT as dense as Houston, and within that loop there are quite a few active areas.

edit; just checked: ATL's densest zip code is 12K ppsm.

major fail on that argument
Zip codes are non standard...

Also not standard is saying that inner loop Houston has more people than the city of Atlanta and is 50 square miles is also misleading. They are not similar in dimensions or scope and does not account for different development patterns. If the current shape of the city of Atlanta limits was moved east a few miles, the population different would be dramatic as the area just east of the city of Atlanta limits is heavily populated while the same is not true on the west side.

Old 09-01-2011, 02:24 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,925,770 times
Quote:
he said Atl's midtown is denser than anything in houston. That is false no matter which areas you prefer. when you here me start talking about which is more active you can jump in. No need telling me which has more oranges when I correct him on which has more bananas

Developed density to me, absolutely.

Have you ever been or spent time in MT ATL, just curious

Old 09-01-2011, 02:26 PM

8,486 posts, read 14,999,411 times
Quote:
Allegedly. However, if it turns that is true (which the facts on the ground do not support), structural infill isn't reliant on people moving in but developers building stuff. There was plenty of that prior to the recession from highrise and rowhouse. Lots of it.

Old 09-01-2011, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post

I forgot to mention that part of his post. Atlanta grew from 416,000 to 420,000, right? That's not much difference than what Dallas experienced.
yeah. what does that amount to for ATL 30 people per sq mile??? Houston got probably ten times that much per square miles

Old 09-01-2011, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
Zip codes are non standard...

Also not standard is saying that inner loop Houston has more people than the city of Atlanta and is 50 square miles is also misleading. They are not similar in dimensions or scope and does not account for different development patterns. If the current shape of the city of Atlanta limits was moved east a few miles, the population different would be dramatic as the area just east of the city of Atlanta limits is heavily populated while the same is not true on the west side.
Honestly, Houston can make the same argument. The heavily population part of inner Houston is on the westside and continues outside 610. The less populated and more industrial and gritty part of inner Houston is on the eastside. The population inside the loop isnt even.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City