Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2011, 09:21 PM

66 posts, read 152,513 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtownboogie View Post
Nice pics and it also proves my point that Dallas' downtown though smaller has more density in its building cluster than Houston.
Of course central Dallas has much greater density to it than Houston.

When looking at Houston, the downtown buildings are locked in by the freeway loop surrounding it. There is nothing of dense urban development next to or growing outward from it. In fact, the areas outside Houston's downtown freeway loop look pretty barren and not very attractive.

When looking at Dallas, explosive growth has jumped over Woodall Rodgers Freeway to the north in Uptown and Victory Park which includes skyscraper and highrise towers as well as dense 5-7 story luxury residential complexes. Many of my previous photos are taken from differing viewpoints of this area.

This same thing has now also happened with the current construction of the 23 story 1400 Hi Line apartment tower as it has jumped over I-35E to the west and is being constructed in the Design District just across the freeway from the American Airlines Center.

The same sort of organic growth has occurred to the south of Downtown Dallas with new residential towers being constructed and/or existing buildings being renovated in the Cedars/South Side just south of I-30.

Downtown Dallas' explosive organic growth has allowed it to grow over its freeway loop that instead seems to be locking Downtown Houston in place.

These developments give Downtown Dallas a level of density that Downtown Houston can't begin to touch, especially those to the west and north in the Design District, Lower Oak Lawn, Uptown, and Turtle Creek all seamlessly melding into central Downtown Dallas creating a large, dense, urban cityscape.

Below is a video shot from a helicopter circling Downtown Dallas on 07-09-10. Click on the YouTube icon to be able to select 720p HD and full screen for a much better view.

The video generally focuses on the traditional Downtown Dallas Financial District, but if you look on the left hand side middle screen while the video is playing you will again see the incredible dense development that has literally sprung up almost overnight in Downtown's Uptown District (most towers were built between 2006 and 2010).

From between 5 and 13 seconds at the beginning of the video you can see how impressive the Uptown skyscrapers are from just seeing one edge of Uptown that is directly facing the Financial District across Woodall Rodgers.

Also from around 35 to 40 seconds into the video is when you can see the dense Uptown development from a bit broader perspective, again on the left hand side of the video.

Also, Museum Tower's almost 600 foot tall 42 story presence once completed in late 2012 is going to make a huge impact on the Downtown Dallas cityscape as it will stretch the Financial District so far north that it will completely meld into Uptown and vice versa:

SKY Helicopters, Inc. - Downtown Dallas In HD - YouTube

Last edited by skys the limit2; 09-04-2011 at 09:40 PM..

Old 09-04-2011, 09:52 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,952,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skys the limit2 View Post
Of course central Dallas has much greater density to it than Houston.

When looking at Houston, the downtown buildings are locked in by the freeway loop surrounding it. There is nothing of dense urban development next to or growing outward from it. In fact, the areas outside Houston's downtown freeway loop look pretty barren and not very attractive.

When looking at Dallas, explosive growth has jumped over Woodall Rodgers Freeway to the north in Uptown and Victory Park which includes skyscraper and highrise towers as well as dense 5-7 story luxury residential complexes. Many of my previous photos are taken from differing viewpoints of this area.

This same thing has now also happened with the current construction of the 23 story 1400 Hi Line apartment tower as it has jumped over I-35E to the west and is being constructed in the Design District just across the freeway from the American Airlines Center.

The same sort of organic growth has occurred to the south of Downtown Dallas with new residential towers being constructed and/or existing buildings being renovated in the Cedars/South Side just south of I-30.

Downtown Dallas' explosive organic growth has allowed it to grow over its freeway loop that instead seems to be locking Downtown Houston in place.

These developments give Downtown Dallas a level of density that Downtown Houston can't begin to touch, especially those to the west and north in the Design District, Lower Oak Lawn, Uptown, and Turtle Creek all seamlessly melding into central Downtown Dallas creating a large, dense, urban cityscape.

Below is a video shot from a helicopter circling Downtown Dallas on 07-09-10. Click on the YouTube icon to be able to select 720p HD and full screen for a much better view.

The video generally focuses on the traditional Downtown Dallas Financial District, but if you look on the left hand side middle screen while the video is playing you will again see the incredible dense development that has literally sprung up almost overnight in Downtown's Uptown District (most towers were built between 2006 and 2010).

From between 5 and 13 seconds at the beginning of the video you can see how impressive the Uptown skyscrapers are from just seeing one edge of Uptown that is directly facing the Financial District across Woodall Rodgers.

Also from around 35 to 40 seconds into the video is when you can see the dense Uptown development from a bit broader perspective, again on the left hand side of the video.

Also, Museum Tower's almost 600 foot tall 42 story presence once completed in late 2012 is going to make a huge impact on the Downtown Dallas cityscape as it will stretch the Financial District so far north that it will completely meld into Uptown and vice versa:

SKY Helicopters, Inc. - Downtown Dallas In HD - YouTube
Looks like someone hasn't been to Houston in over a decade. I drive through this part of Dallas almost everyday, and the growth here is amazing. But even when I talk to the people around here, they don't know why half the stuff is going up when there is high vacancy and the city only grew by .1% last decade. The area is shaping up nicely and has potential. As far as it being denser than Houston....all this growth in Uptown/Downtown Dallas is matching what Houston already has in its Downtown. Across from the Pierce Elevated, Midtown has been shaping up pretty good. Houston just develops differently. Spade posted an example earlier. Dallas zones its highrises/midrises all in one area (around Downtown). You see more townhome type developments in Houston than you would in Dallas. Just like you want to say the areas outside of DT Dallas have more highrises and is denser than Houston, Houstonians can say the overall urban core of their city is much denser and larger than Dallas' (because it is). One core metro versus a multiple core metro.

Last edited by Trae713; 09-04-2011 at 10:01 PM..

Old 09-04-2011, 09:54 PM

312 posts, read 436,925 times
skys the limit2, those are some pretty areas in Dallas. I've heard Uptown has quickly become Dallas's most urban neighborhood and the high-rise boom there has dramatically changed its city scape. Could you show some pictures of the uptown skyline in particular?

Dallas looks beautiful in those pictures and am really happy its densifying its core. Since Atlantans have posted pictures of their city, Dallasites of theirs, Miamians not involved in this thread, and Houstonians have not I suppose I can take the responsibility of posting for the other two southern metros.

Old 09-04-2011, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trae713 View Post
Looks like someone hasn't been to Houston in over a decade.
I was there just last month and the video that Htownlove posted for downtown Houston is exactly what is there now.

Downtown Houston is currently locked into place by its freeway loop.

And please don't reference something that is 5 or 10 miles away as being part of downtown Houston! I'm talking right next door to the CBD towers, immediately across the freeway, so it can be viewed as an immediate organic extension of downtown.

Old 09-04-2011, 10:02 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,937,981 times
Quote:
Fairly recent images of the booming dense in-town development in Downtown Dallas and how it is radiating outward.

Plano can't hold a candle to what is going on in Dallas' central city area.

People are sick and tired of commuting up to an hour each way every day and the Center City offers a much greater abundance of what people want - fine restaurants, cultural amenities, nightlife, sports venues, fine housing and a plentiful stock from which to select (and this includes expensive single family homes as well as denser residential), major employment center, etc., and easy access to anywhere else they want to go through either hopping on DART rail or getting there by car through the major freeway and rail systems that all converge on Downtown Dallas.

Central Dallas from Oak Lawn Avenue in Turtle Creek, June 2010

Downtown Dallas, June 2010

Downtown Dallas, June 2010

Downtown Dallas, June 2011
I've always liked that last picture of Dallas. Those apartments look nice.

Old 09-04-2011, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Social Network View Post
skys the limit2, those are some pretty areas in Dallas. I've heard Uptown has quickly become Dallas's most urban neighborhood and the high-rise boom there has dramatically changed its city scape. Could you show some pictures of the uptown skyline in particular?

Dallas looks beautiful in those pictures and am really happy its densifying its core. Since Atlantans have posted pictures of their city, Dallasites of theirs, Miamians not involved in this thread, and Houstonians have not I suppose I can take the responsibility of posting for the other two southern metros.

I'll post several images of Uptown in a separate longer post, but to give you an idea as to how explosive the growth has been in Downtown Dallas' Uptown District, here is an image that puts things in somewhat of a perspective.

Everything to the left of the Trammel Crow Tower in this image is Uptown. The Trammel Crow Tower is the brown granite tower with the pyramid top in the very middle of this image. Basically everything to the left of it in the image is Uptown. As you can see, Uptown is an organic extension of Downtown Dallas. There is a freeway that separates the two, Woodall Rodgers, but you would never know it from this image and how the two are blending seamlessly into each other.

And once Museum Tower is completed (it will rise almost 600 feet and will be visually located about halfway between Trammel Crow Tower and the Calatrava Bridge in this image) along with the Woodall Rodgers Urban Park's completion the two districts will meld seamlessly.

Dallas Skyline
(http://www.flickr.com/photos/maconahey/5719324719/ - broken link) by maconahey (http://www.flickr.com/people/maconahey/ - broken link), on Flickr

Last edited by skys the limit2; 09-04-2011 at 10:23 PM..

Old 09-04-2011, 10:13 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,952,147 times
Quote:
I was there just last month and the video that Htownlove posted for downtown Houston is exactly what is there now.

Downtown Houston is currently locked into place by its freeway loop.

And please don't reference something that is 5 or 10 miles away as being part of downtown Houston! I'm talking right next door to the CBD towers, immediately across the freeway, so it can be viewed as an immediate organic extension of downtown.
What? Midtown is five miles away from Downtown Houston? The East End (where the new MLS Dynamo Stadium is going up) is five miles away from Downtown Houston? The Texas Medical Center is just about five miles from DT Houston though. You see more of this in Houston:

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5094/...67b34645_b.jpg

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d3.../7610043_4.jpg

Like I said earlier, these towers in Dallas are nice, but the vacancy is just so high, that I don't know why they don't wait until the market in Dallas' core can catch up, especially with a .1% growth rate in the city. The area has potential though, no denying that. Just can't compare it to Houston, since Houston's core is much larger and not zoned like Dallas' core is, so the growth is more organic and less uniform.. Highrises and midrises pop up all over the place instead of in one area.

Old 09-04-2011, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trae713 View Post
What? Midtown is five miles away from Downtown Houston? The East End (where the new MLS Dynamo Stadium is going up) is five miles away from Downtown Houston? The Texas Medical Center is just about five miles from DT Houston though. You see more of this in Houston:

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d3.../7610043_4.jpg

Like I said earlier, these towers in Dallas are nice, but the vacancy is just so high, that I don't know why they don't wait until the market in Dallas' core can catch up, especially with a .1% growth rate in the city. The area has potential though, no denying that. Just can't compare it to Houston, since Houston's core is much larger and not zoned like Dallas' core is, so the growth is more organic and less uniform.. Highrises and midrises pop up all over the
place instead of in one area.

Really.

Is this the best you can scrape up on short notice???

How boring!

Old 09-04-2011, 10:31 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,929,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
The better question is what percentage of residents want them to be?

In that case this forum is not the best place to ask cause everyone here is gonna say yes
Yeah, I was going to say this. Who wants more density? Yuck.

Old 09-04-2011, 10:32 PM

4,435 posts, read 6,300,412 times
Very nice shots of Dallas. You will notice the central neighborhoods comprise of mult-unit dwellings rather than single family residences.

While Houston has some dense areas as does Atlanta I haven't seen any areas of either city with the consistent density that you find in areas of Dallas such as the State Thomas neighborhood which has a built environment that you would find in cities like Philly, DC, Boston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City