Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2011, 07:03 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,937,981 times

Advertisements

Where would you place Miami in all this?

Old 08-28-2011, 07:04 PM

617 posts, read 1,423,769 times
After living in different cities around the country I'm starting to believe that if your cities' surrounding downtown neighborhoods are of the post WWII design your city is doomed to not ever having a true urban core, ok yes Dallas, ATL, and Houston have and are building high rise condos in the city center but what about the surrounding neighborhoods? I think its the surrounding areas that are the key to give cities that big city vibe when on the street. Sure skyscrapers give a big impression but if there's no life in the area then the impression become deflated. I think the urban fabric of the surrounding neighborhoods have to change, but that will be hard to come by because of NIMBY's and lack of demand, almost everyone that I have met in Dallas that's coming from another part of the country is uninterested in looking for a condo everyone wants a house.

Old 08-28-2011, 07:08 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,943,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtownboogie View Post
After living in different cities around the country I'm starting to believe that if your cities' surrounding downtown neighborhoods are of the post WWII design your city is doomed to not ever having a true urban core, ok yes Dallas, ATL, and Houston have and are building high rise condos in the city center but what about the surrounding neighborhoods? I think its the surrounding areas that are the key to give cities that big city vibe when on the street. Sure skyscrapers give a big impression but if there's no life in the area then the impression become deflated. I think the urban fabric of the surrounding neighborhoods have to change, but that will be hard to come by because of NIMBY's and lack of demand, almost everyone that I have met in Dallas that's coming from another part of the country is uninterested in looking for a condo everyone wants a house.
I would say a 20th century design instead of post world war 2

The hoods around Houston, Dallas and ATL's downtowns were built before ww2

Montrose, the heights and the wards had single family homes but they were still highly walkable with store fronts on every street and were connected by street car systems, and all were built before WW2

Old 08-28-2011, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Where would you place Miami in all this?
Well Miami already kind of has everything in place as far as store fronts, sidewalks, etc. The only thing that's really lacking is better PT but other than that it has done a good job, I lived in Plantation for about 4 months and it wasn't walkable at all to me, but once you head in to Ft. Lauderdale and Miami you do see a real change even in the residential neighborhoods.

Old 08-28-2011, 07:13 PM

1,885 posts, read 3,401,567 times
All 3 metros could stand to densify more.

There are benefits to be taken into consideration; less pollution, increased property values and PT usage, stronger support for street level retail etc...

With that said, I still wouldn't prefer to live 'wall to wall', but there's room for improvement in all 3. I also hate street level parallel parking, but that's me.

The Atlanta Beltline was established to address many of these concerns.

Atlanta BeltLine > Home

EDIT: sorry for any typos, using my phone at the moment..

Old 08-28-2011, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
I would say a 20th century design instead of post world war 2

The hoods around Houston, Dallas and ATL's downtowns were built before ww2

Montrose, the heights and the wards had single family homes but they were still highly walkable with store fronts on every street and were connected by street car systems, and all were built before WW2
Yes your correct Htown but most of these areas including the ones around Dallas are highly undesirable, even in the Houston metro where Houston is the foundation of the metro and no other to rival it, its hard to pin point a true center of activity.

Old 08-28-2011, 07:21 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,301,334 times
Quote:
Yes your correct Htown but most of these areas including the ones around Dallas are highly undesirable, even in the Houston metro where Houston is the foundation of the metro and no other to rival it, its hard to pin point a true center of activity.
These neighborhoods in Houston aren't that bad. The Heights is nice, 3rd ward (I believe) is gentrifying, and 1st ward isn't so bad.

Old 08-28-2011, 07:23 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
You'd be surprised. There are parts of the D.C. area that used to be farms some decades ago but are pretty walkable now.
Yeah, but that's largely because of the Metro and resulting transit-oriented/transit-joint development.

Atlanta, Houston, and DFW are all experiencing a good bit of infill. They'll become denser and more urban, but not in the same exact way that their northern/midwestern counterparts are IMO.

Old 08-28-2011, 07:26 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,943,565 times
Quote:
The most exclusive zip codes are all within the city, but yes there is no one center of activity in the city. too spread out.

The Heights and Montrose are fairly active though, and 3rd ward and East Downtown are on the up and up and will be more so once the rail goes threw these areas.

East Downtown has sooooooo much potential.

there are tons of empty warehouses that can be converted into lofts for more high density living

Old 08-28-2011, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATL_Aficionado View Post
All 3 metros could stand to densify more.

There are benefits to be taken into consideration; less pollution, increased property values and PT usage, stronger support for street level retail etc...

With that said, I still wouldn't prefer to live 'wall to wall', but there's room for improvement in all 3. I also hate street level parallel parking, but that's me.

The Atlanta Beltline was established to address many of these concerns.

Atlanta BeltLine > Home

EDIT: sorry for any typos, using my phone at the moment..
Oh I'm with you there I do like my space and wall to wall is not for me either, however what options do these 3 cities offer other than high rise condos in the center of the city or a suburban home, its almost as if there's no middle ground.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City