Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2011, 10:12 AM

8,632 posts, read 12,990,645 times

Advertisements

Quote:
dtownboogie;20648679]Can ATL, DFW, and Houston really become urban dense cities?

Absolutely not! because they are not built that way. In order for those cities to ever become truly urban dense cities that rival cities like New York, Philly and Chicago they would have to change their entire infrastructure. Cities like Atlanta, Houston, and Dallas are built on suburban sprawl which means that they are more of a car driven city because everything is spread out. Also those cities are not up to par urban dense cities when it comes to mass transit options. People that move to cities like Dallas and Houston are not looking for an urban dense city, they are looking for the suburbs in the city. For those cities to become truly dense they have to almost start over from scratch to achieve that type of urban density and I'm pretty sure most of the residents in those cities would show great opposition toward that process if those cities ever seriously tried to make that happen. This is why cities like Atlanta, Dallas, and especially Houston will never become truly urban dense cities like San Francisco, or New York City.

Old 08-30-2011, 10:29 AM

18,495 posts, read 32,929,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
This is why cities like Atlanta, Dallas, and especially Houston will never become truly urban dense cities like San Francisco, or New York City.
especially houston??

Houston is the denser city out of the bunch.

your hate for Houston clouds your judgement dude

Old 08-30-2011, 10:45 AM

Quote:
HtownLove;20670317]especially houston??

Houston is the denser city out of the bunch.

your hate for Houston clouds your judgement dude
Never said I hated Houston. I said cites like Houston, Dallas, etc. are not urban dense cities because they are built on suburban sprawl. I've got nothing personal against Houston.

Old 08-30-2011, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Never said I hated Houston. I said cites like Houston, Dallas, etc. are not urban dense cities because they are built on suburban sprawl. I've got nothing personal against Houston.
what was the esp Houston Comment for then?? look at radius populations and Houston beats the other two from 0- 50 miles around the core. you are just perpetuating stupid stereotypes making it out like Houston is more sprawled than DFW and ATL.

MontClaire posted 5000+ Density maps for a bunch of cities. Here is Boston, DC, Philly, ATL, Houston and DFW

Old 08-30-2011, 10:59 AM

[quote=HtownLove;20670566]
Quote:

what was the esp Houston Comment for then?? look at radius populations and Houston beats the other two from 0- 50 miles around the core.
Outside of the Inner loop and Uptown, Houston is very suburbanized. Its not very urban for a city of its size. I know your not going to tell me that Houston isn't mostly built on suburban sprawl. lol.

Old 08-30-2011, 11:03 AM

Quote:

Outside of the Inner loop and Uptown, Houston is very suburbanized. Its not very urban for a city of its size.
ad DFW and ATL are not??

I am still asking what was up with the especially Houston comment???

You are making it sound like Houston is sooo much worse when in reality it does slightly better.

http://img109.imageshack.us/img109/8...iatlhoudfw.jpg

Also the density levels in SW Houston is higher than the inner loop. The inner loop just has more business and entertainment activity

Old 08-30-2011, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
ad DFW and ATL are not??

I am still asking what was up with the especially Houston comment???

You are making it sound like Houston is sooo much worse when in reality it does slightly better.

http://img109.imageshack.us/img109/8...iatlhoudfw.jpg

Also the density levels in SW Houston is higher than the inner loop. The inner loop just has more business and entertainment activity
OK "Htownlove" Houston's density rivals Dallas and Atlanta. I'll admit that even though I never technically said that Atlanta and Dallas densities were in a completely different class than Houston. But anyway your kind of missing the point of my main message. It explains why the "Big 3" of the South will never become true dense urban cities like New York City, Philly and San Francisco.

Old 08-30-2011, 11:25 AM

Quote:
OK "Htownlove" Houston's density rivals Dallas and Atlanta even though I technically never said that Atlanta and Dallas densities were in a completely different class than Houston. But anyway your kind of missing the point of my main message. It explains why the "Big 3" of the South will never become true dense urban cities like New York City, Philly and San Francisco.
I got your message, and if I disagreed with it you would have heard about it.

What I took issue with was what we are talking about now. Your comment about especially Houston, which you have yet to explain how Houston is singled out as the one that will especially not become more urban???

It has the densest core of the three, it has the densest urban area of the three, why did you single it out??

It made the post lose credibility for me. made it sound like you didn't know what the heck you were talking about.

Old 08-30-2011, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
I got your message, and if I disagreed with it you would have heard about it.

What I took issue with was what we are talking about now. Your comment about especially Houston, which you have yet to explain how Houston is singled out as the one that will especially not become more urban???

It has the densest core of the three, it has the densest urban area of the three, why did you single it out??

It made the post lose credibility for me. made it sound like you didn't know what the heck you were talking about.
Houston with its large city limits would have a much harder time achieving density and urban levels that rival cities like New York City, Philly, etc because of its large city limits that are largely suburban.

Old 08-30-2011, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Houston with its large city limits would have a much harder time achieving density and urban levels that rival cities like New York City, Philly, etc because of its large city limits that are largely suburban.
and yet it has the highest density of the 3.

there ya go. your reasoning failed.

you simplify things too much.

Houston, population is 5 times that of ATL, and nearly twice that of Dallas.

why would you simply do a silly comparison of city limits???

very flawed reasoning. ATL has smaller city limits than NY, why isn't it achieving density and urban levels which rival the cities you mentioned???

nope, I call BS
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.