Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2011, 11:47 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,156,607 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfieldian View Post
Miami has tried to get some stuff going with Brickell area, but it is going to be awhile.
It's already happened. Brickell is a thriving and growing urban neighborhood or highrise condos and apartments.

Old 08-30-2011, 11:52 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,156,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
Miami and Ft Lauderdale are still very strip mall-ish sunbelt feeling. I dont feel like Miami is that much more dense than Houston or Dallas when I'm there. Yes statistically Miami has the highest people/sq mile in the south but in person it really doesnt feel any different. The very small city limits of miami helps that ratio in its favor. Development style though is not much different than the Texas cities. South Beach may be the exception in terms of density and urbanity. The urbanity in Ft Lauderdale is really bad.
Miami has suburbs like Miami Beach that are more densely populated than the city proper. Even so, Miami proper is over 11,000 p/sm: which is already quite densely populated for a 100 year old sunbelt city. Miami has other burbs that are over 10,000 p/sm. Miami's small city limits isn't the main reason why it's densely populated. The main reason is because the area is more limited on available land than other sunbelt cities.

Old 08-30-2011, 12:13 PM

8,632 posts, read 12,996,717 times
Quote:
=HtownLove;20671393]and yet it has the highest density of the 3.
By only a small margin so lets not get carried away here.

Quote:
there ya go. your reasoning failed.

you simplify things too much.
There's nothing wrong with breaking things down so some people can understand it better.

Quote:
Houston, population is 5 times that of ATL, and nearly twice that of Dallas.
You forgot to mention that Houston has 4x the city limits of ATL and almost twice the city limits as Dallas so is it really that surprising.

Quote:
why would you simply do a silly comparison of city limits???
Because this thread is "Can the "big 3" of the south ever become true urban/dense cities?" Common sense

Quote:
very flawed reasoning. ATL has smaller city limits than NY, why isn't it achieving density and urban levels which rival the cities you mentioned???
Because its infrastructure isn't built like the cites of New York and Philly. I clearly stated that in my earlier post.

Quote:
nope, I call BS
Ok, but I can't see how you could argue with my main point.

Last edited by gwillyfromphilly; 08-30-2011 at 12:26 PM..

Old 08-30-2011, 12:39 PM

20,515 posts, read 33,531,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsimms3 View Post
I believe Atlanta can and it is in the process. I believe Houston can but has some SERIOUS work to do to catch up. I don't believe Dallas can.

Atlanta has the potential to be built out like Chicago, literally. Downtown would be the Loop and Midtown would be like Streeterville, etc. Peachtree could become like Michigan Ave, and that's the goal of developers and politicians in the city. Transit is there and about to be expanded, and there are more and more residents in high rises and mid-rises fronting walkable streets.

Outside of the PacNW, both Atlanta and Miami are doing the most to develop in a sustainably walkable and dense way, and that is quite a challenge in today's world.
Some Atlanta posters believe Houston is way behind their city in urban development and I don't understand why.

Old 08-30-2011, 12:57 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,943,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Some Atlanta posters believe Houston is way behind their city in urban development and I don't understand why.
it is assumptions

Old 08-30-2011, 03:09 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
It seems that the term "density" is being interpreted in two ways here which might be causing some confusion: density of the built environment and population density. I'm not sure which has the highest density in terms of the built environment within the core. I'm tempted to say Atlanta, but if so, it wouldn't be by much IMO.

Old 08-30-2011, 04:15 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,739,757 times
The problem is that CD glorifies urban compact cities and demonizes sunbelt style cities.

Cities like Dallas, Houston, and Atlanta are simply different from the North Eastern cities, Chicago, or San Francisco. They arent better or worse, they are simply different. Some will like them better others will hate them.

Why are we pretending that the Sunbelt cities are suddenly going to become like the Northeastern cities? Let them be what they are. I for one would take Atlanta, Houston, Los Angeles, or Dallas over New York or Philadelphia any day and a big reason I would is because I prefer my own space (or dare I use the world sprawl) over having to live stacked on top of other people. If that means I have to drive my car 30 minutes to work instead of spending 30 minutes on a bus or train, so be it.

While its blasphemy on this forum, the majority of the United States agrees with me. Look at where people are moving. Even in the Urban cities of the country, its all subruban growth. People want good schools, their own house, more space, they want to be near the big city, and they want it for cheap.

At the heart of it all these cities all developed differently for a reason. Its important to remember that too.

Old 08-30-2011, 04:46 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,700,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justme02 View Post
The problem is that CD glorifies urban compact cities and demonizes sunbelt style cities.

Cities like Dallas, Houston, and Atlanta are simply different from the North Eastern cities, Chicago, or San Francisco. They arent better or worse, they are simply different. Some will like them better others will hate them.

Why are we pretending that the Sunbelt cities are suddenly going to become like the Northeastern cities? Let them be what they are. I for one would take Atlanta, Houston, Los Angeles, or Dallas over New York or Philadelphia any day and a big reason I would is because I prefer my own space (or dare I use the world sprawl) over having to live stacked on top of other people. If that means I have to drive my car 30 minutes to work instead of spending 30 minutes on a bus or train, so be it.

While its blasphemy on this forum, the majority of the United States agrees with me. Look at where people are moving. Even in the Urban cities of the country, its all subruban growth. People want good schools, their own house, more space, they want to be near the big city, and they want it for cheap.

At the heart of it all these cities all developed differently for a reason. Its important to remember that too.
Exactly. I don't know why some posters are hooked on the idea of density being better. To me, i don't even think Density makes a city.

Old 08-30-2011, 04:51 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,943,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justme02 View Post
I for one would take Atlanta, Houston, Los Angeles, or Dallas over New York or Philadelphia any day and a big reason I would is because I prefer my own space (or dare I use the world sprawl) over having to live stacked on top of other people. If that means I have to drive my car 30 minutes to work instead of spending 30 minutes on a bus or train, so be it.

While its blasphemy on this forum, the majority of the United States agrees with me.
lol, even I agree with you

Old 08-30-2011, 05:03 PM

1,201 posts, read 2,346,950 times
good post justme02. i feel similarly. i don't feel, however, that southern cities should necessarily seek to live a life style or seek the models of cities like san fransisco or l.a. the cities of the northeast w/ their transportation systems, to me, makes a good deal of sense. however, light rail and high speed rail makes little sense in the majority of the major cities in the south or the rest of the sunbelt states. cost for construction, operation, and maintenance of rail systems will always be a major factor in the use of this mode of transportation. leave these cities to make the decisions for themselves, and stay out of it. i'm not going to give up my car for any number of reasons, particularly for independence, nor for the seemingly superiority complex of the train rider, or the "cool" feeling one supposedly gets, as he steps from doors which automatically open." it is simply too much to pay for a fleeting high.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City