Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2011, 09:49 PM

4 posts, read 17,612 times

Advertisements

Hey guys

Los Angeles Or Seattle ?

Which one is better for someone who does not drive , I just got 18 n I want to move out, I also want to go to a community college then i want to transfer to a 4 yr college, Thoughts ?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2011, 10:21 PM

5,002 posts, read 12,355,794 times
... is this a joke? I think in LA, you NEED a car to survive.

Not so in Seattle. Seattle also has multiple community colleges in the area and UW all in the city limits with multiple bus lines.

Though, I imagine you could swing it in LA too, but don't count on being able to get everywhere on the bus in LA.

Old 01-29-2011, 10:30 PM

4,803 posts, read 10,169,748 times
Los Angeles definitely. I found the people of L.A. much livlier than those in Seattle. I found people in Seattle to be introverted and a drag to talk to. Los Angeles is also a lot more fun and the weather is great. In Seattle, it rains A LOT and it is pretty much gloomy all the time. You do need a car to survive in L.A. but who cares right? You'd probably need one in Seattle too unless you want to live in a bubble all the time and not leave the city.

Los Angeles by far cause the weather, energetic people, fun, big size, beuatiful beaches, hot people, etc

Seattle is pretty...? That's all I can think of for that place.

L.A. cons: smoggy sometimes, lots of traffic

Seattle cons: boring, introverted people, rainy, gloomy

LA > Seattle

Old 01-29-2011, 11:30 PM

4 posts, read 17,612 times
the thing is I can't driver ,
When i was a kid i had a bad accident I just can't driver i tried it many times but i can't

Old 01-29-2011, 11:36 PM

4,803 posts, read 10,169,748 times
Then I guess you have to settle for Seattle. I feel bad for you.

Or you could live in an area of L.A. where you don't have to drive. It has several urban neighborhoods. Just go on the LA forum and ask in a thread and they will be more then happy to help.

Old 01-29-2011, 11:39 PM

1,654 posts, read 5,853,567 times
LA's pretty much #1 on the west coast for most things other than transportation, sprawl, and traffic.

Old 01-30-2011, 01:21 AM

292 posts, read 752,377 times
LA is much, much bigger and offers a lot, although you will likely need a car.

Seattle has more walkable areas, especially in and around downtown. The inner parts of Seattle feel more dense than downtown LA.

Old 01-30-2011, 07:50 AM

1,599 posts, read 3,132,746 times
If you like bikini clad beauties and surfing on sunny beaches all year long, move to LA. If you like rain, rain, rain, shivering in a heavy raincoat and boots trying to keep warm by drinking coffee all day long, and all year long then move to Seattle where you will never see the sun for at least 9 months out of the year.

Old 01-30-2011, 10:46 AM

1,717 posts, read 4,647,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BacktoBlue View Post
Los Angeles definitely. I found the people of L.A. much livlier than those in Seattle. I found people in Seattle to be introverted and a drag to talk to. Los Angeles is also a lot more fun and the weather is great. In Seattle, it rains A LOT and it is pretty much gloomy all the time. You do need a car to survive in L.A. but who cares right? You'd probably need one in Seattle too unless you want to live in a bubble all the time and not leave the city.

Los Angeles by far cause the weather, energetic people, fun, big size, beuatiful beaches, hot people, etc

Seattle is pretty...? That's all I can think of for that place.

L.A. cons: smoggy sometimes, lots of traffic

Seattle cons: boring, introverted people, rainy, gloomy

LA > Seattle

LOLOL Certainly it couldn't have been those "introverted" people simply wanted nothing to do with you?

Old 01-30-2011, 11:19 AM

11,039 posts, read 16,853,040 times
I've lived in both.

You can go to school in LA without having a car, actually... if you go to a university (UCLA, USC, Loyola) or any four-year college, nearly all offer student housing which is usually either on campus or right next to it. Not cheap, but that's what loans are for, right?

If you were to go to Santa Monica College (SMC), then you can easily find a roommate in Santa Monica, Venice, Mar Vista, or West LA for a reasonable amount and either walk, bike, or take the bus - the bus isn't bad for short hops, but it kills if you're trying to get from one end of the city to the other, and as eskercurve correctly assumed, there are areas that are difficult or nearly impossible to get to by public transit in LA. If you live in Santa Monica, though, you're in a great area with a lot of shops, restaurants, and the beach... plus Venice is just a short hop down the sand. The area is generally clean and pretty safe.

Los Angeles Central College (LACC) is in Central LA, and you could live in Koreatown, Silverlake, or even Hollywood and either walk or take a bus. If you were in Hollywood or near an LA Metro station, you could take the subway since LACC is a few blocks from the Vermont Metro station. If you go to LACC you've got closer access to Hollywood and all the cool clubs and goings on that pretty much everyone should spend some time in during their late teens/early 20's. It's also easier to get to Downtown LA, where there's the massive central library, tons of galleries, Little Tokyo and Chinatown, etc. The cost of living out in this direction is cheaper, but the area is also less safe and way dirtier. Like, phenomenally dirtier.

Both cities are extremely popular transfer schools for UCLA and USC.

Seattle is much easier to get by in if you plan to solely use public transit. North Seattle Community College is a really good school with good teachers, and you can live in Northgate, Greenwood, Maple Leaf, or by Greenlake, all of which are nice, safe areas that are reasonably cheap. FWIW, my dad started at NSCC and went on to get his master's from Yale and doctorate from Harvard, and still maintains that his professors at NSCC were the best of them all.

As far as the cities go: LA is infinitely more fun and the people will actually talk to you. Seattle is the dullest major metropolitan city I've ever set foot in, let alone live in... LA has a pulse, and would absolutely be more fulfilling as a young person, as far as I'm concerned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City