Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Minneapolis or Charlotte
Minneapolis 79 69.91%
Charlotte 34 30.09%
Voters: 113. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2022, 02:11 PM

9,679 posts, read 9,380,908 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
Many forget the racially motivated riots in Charlotte sparked by Law Enforcement and Asian retailers vs Black patrons high profiled issues with violence.
You're right. And of course, Charlotte is a part of the segregated South/Jim Crow era. I think, though, that Charlotte has pushed past that stereotype by focusing on business and progress. The times I have visited Charlotte, I never felt racially targeted. I cannot say the same for some cities, unfortunately.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2022, 02:54 PM

4,980 posts, read 5,391,677 times
Culture: Minneapolis
Education: Minneapolis
Entertainment: Minneapolis
Diversity: Charlotte
Transit/Transportation: Minneapolis
Urbanity: Minneapolis
Weather: Charlotte
jobs: Tie
making friends: Tie

Old 11-24-2022, 05:51 PM

7,108 posts, read 8,963,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
You're right. And of course, Charlotte is a part of the segregated South/Jim Crow era. I think, though, that Charlotte has pushed past that stereotype by focusing on business and progress. The times I have visited Charlotte, I never felt racially targeted. I cannot say the same for some cities, unfortunately.
Charlotte doesn't appear racially motivated like Chicago, St Louis or Milwaukee. Unfortunately I did have some nasty encounters in the two years of living there but nothing that couldn't be experienced anywhere else in the world.

Old 11-28-2022, 09:07 PM

37,877 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Quote:
Many forget the racially motivated riots in Charlotte sparked by Law Enforcement and Asian retailers vs Black patrons high profiled issues with violence.
Charlotte's riots were just a drop in the bucket in America in 2016 unfortunately. No one really remembers the name of the guy who was killed by law enforcement in Charlotte which led to the riots, but a lot more people remember Philando Castile who was also killed that year by police in the Twin Cities region.

I don't recall any instances involving violence between Asian retailers and Black patrons in Charlotte though.

Old 11-30-2022, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Charlotte's riots were just a drop in the bucket in America in 2016 unfortunately. No one really remembers the name of the guy who was killed by law enforcement in Charlotte which led to the riots, but a lot more people remember Philando Castile who was also killed that year by police in the Twin Cities region.

I don't recall any instances involving violence between Asian retailers and Black patrons in Charlotte though.
It took a lot of effort to find this. But these type of incidents where happening in Charlotte. It's amazing how we are being programed to not look at certain things.

https://youtu.be/KTOhdJg4sKg

Old 11-30-2022, 08:02 PM

9,679 posts, read 9,380,908 times
Quote:
It took a lot of effort to find this. But these type of incidents where happening in Charlotte. It's amazing how we are being programed to not look at certain things.

I am not sure what is more disturbing, the video or the disgusting comments below it. The indifference is real.

Old 11-30-2022, 08:09 PM

Quote:

There's no "programming" going on here. It was one incident in a city of 900K and in all likelihood was far down the list of newsworthy events on the day it happened. The fact that it took some effort to find that YouTube clip--and not an article from a major newspaper or video from a national news outlet--says just what a non-event, in the grand scheme of things, it really was.

Old 11-30-2022, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
There's no "programming" going on here. It was one incident in a city of 900K and in all likelihood was far down the list of newsworthy events on the day it happened. The fact that it took some effort to find that YouTube clip--and not an article from a major newspaper or video from a national news outlet--says just what a non-event, in the grand scheme of things, it really was.
Mutiny,
You have been programed and you don't know it.

Old 11-30-2022, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Mutiny,
You have been programed and you don't know it.
No, you made a claim that you have failed to provide evidence of. A singular isolated incident that you had to spend time digging through the archives of YouTube to find a video of does not constitute "Asian retailers vs Black patrons high profiled issues with violence."

Show evidence that this was a trend that actually received mainstream media coverage (which is the basic standard of "high profile"). Otherwise, you're just trying to make fetch happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City