Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Cleveland or Boston
Cleveland 48 24.37%
Boston 149 75.63%
Voters: 197. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2011, 01:07 AM

4,516 posts, read 5,090,184 times

Advertisements

Just because Boston has more medical schools and hospitals related to them, doesn't mean Boston's better than Cleveland for medical care... Cleveland Clinic, which is a city-within-a-city, is one of the largest institutions of it's type in the nations. CC not only has this, plus large campuses all around Cleveland, it has campuses in different locations around the country, like in South Florida.... But you don't even bother to mention University Hospitals, another huge and well-respected institution just up the street and affiliated with highly-respected Case Western Reserve University. UH competes with CC all around greater Cleveland...Now we're getting the Medical Mart Convention center; we also are THE largest medical supplies builder in the nation.

I respect Boston for a lot of things, and overall, as I've said before, Boston gets the nod over Cleveland... But let's not just blindly pump up Boston for areas allegedly superior to Cleveland where it doesn't deserve it; and medicine, overall, isn't one of them... Sure the NAME Harvard and MGH scream prestige to the world... but much of that IS because of the NAME Harvard... Cleveland Clinic has a gigantic presence and name and it's NOT directly attached/affiliated with ANY University.

Give it up, Boston-a-files.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2011, 04:39 AM

14,009 posts, read 14,995,436 times
Cleveland definatly trumps Boston in Medical care it only falls short in Cancer, Childerns, Respitory, infecous deisese, and everything that's not cardaic care.

Old 11-16-2011, 07:47 AM

2,563 posts, read 3,623,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProf View Post
Just because Boston has more medical schools and hospitals related to them, doesn't mean Boston's better than Cleveland for medical care... Cleveland Clinic, which is a city-within-a-city, is one of the largest institutions of it's type in the nations. CC not only has this, plus large campuses all around Cleveland, it has campuses in different locations around the country, like in South Florida.... But you don't even bother to mention University Hospitals, another huge and well-respected institution just up the street and affiliated with highly-respected Case Western Reserve University. UH competes with CC all around greater Cleveland...Now we're getting the Medical Mart Convention center; we also are THE largest medical supplies builder in the nation.

I respect Boston for a lot of things, and overall, as I've said before, Boston gets the nod over Cleveland... But let's not just blindly pump up Boston for areas allegedly superior to Cleveland where it doesn't deserve it; and medicine, overall, isn't one of them... Sure the NAME Harvard and MGH scream prestige to the world... but much of that IS because of the NAME Harvard... Cleveland Clinic has a gigantic presence and name and it's NOT directly attached/affiliated with ANY University.

Agree with this. The Cleveland Clinic is simply world reknowned and the Heart Clinic is generally considered to be tops in the world. The Cleveland Clinic's satellite research facilities feed and impact health care systems across the Midwest, and the US for that matter. Also, good call on the University hospitals; well-regarded in their own right.

Old 11-16-2011, 08:54 AM

1,081 posts, read 2,890,195 times
I've never been to Cleveland, but from everything I've seen or read about it, I suspect it is a pretty cool city, one where I could probably enjoy living. So it's not like this is a comparison between Boston and, say, Des Moines. But still, any objective review of the items up for comparison in this thread will list Boston first on most of them. That shouldn't be viewed as a negative. Cleveland probably beats most places on these comparisons, it just doesn't beat Boston.

Old 11-16-2011, 09:03 AM

6,625 posts, read 14,450,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProf View Post
Just because Boston has more medical schools and hospitals related to them, doesn't mean Boston's better than Cleveland for medical care... Cleveland Clinic, which is a city-within-a-city, is one of the largest institutions of it's type in the nations. CC not only has this, plus large campuses all around Cleveland, it has campuses in different locations around the country, like in South Florida.... But you don't even bother to mention University Hospitals, another huge and well-respected institution just up the street and affiliated with highly-respected Case Western Reserve University. UH competes with CC all around greater Cleveland

You suggested Boston is only perceived to be better when it comes to the medical field due to the "Harvard name" earlier in the thread. You sounded like a fool then, and the fact that you've repeated yourself makes you sound like an even bigger fool now.

Again, the US News & World Report Honor Roll lists:
2. Mass General Hospital, 29 Points
4. Cleveland Clinic, 26 Points
8. Brigham and Women's, 18 points

The world-renowned think tank Milken Institute did a study on the top Life Science clusters in the country, and they found:

1. Boston 100
2. Philadelphia 97.7
3. San Francisco 92.1
4. New York 92
5. Raleigh-Durham 88.2
6. Los Angeles 86.8
7. Chicago 80.1
8. San Diego 78.7
9. Minneapolis 78.2
10. Washington DC 74.8
11. Seattle 69.2

Not only is Boston #1, but there is also no mention of Cleveland. This study takes into account "biotechnology, pharmaceuticals, life sciences R&D, medical devices, and health care services".

Still not convinced? For 16 consecutive years, Boston has led the nation in NIH (National Institutes of Health) funding, the NIH funds various institutions and universities for medical research. In 2009, Boston received a record $2.4 Billion. Last year, they received $2.1 Billion. Comparatively, the entire state of Ohio received $778 Million last year.

How about private presence? Boston is home to biotechnology/pharmaceutical giants Genzyme, Biogen Idec, Novartis (US R&D HQ), Millenium Pharmaceuticals, Vertex Pharma, and Cubist Pharma, among others. According to this list, 5 of the 25 largest biotech companies in the world are in the Boston area. The Boston area also has major presence from companies like GlaxoSmithKline and MerckSerono in the form of US HQs and R&D operations.

Of course schools like Harvard and MIT planted the seed long ago that Boston is an area for top minds to join...but Boston isn't known for being the top medical hub in the country and possibly world solely because of the Harvard name.

Quote:
...Now we're getting the Medical Mart Convention center; we also are THE largest medical supplies builder in the nation.
Says who? As far as I can see, the major medical supplies company in the Cleveland area is Invacare, a very respectable company specializing in wheelchairs and . I know Cardinal Health is in Ohio, but it appears to be HQ'd near Columbus, not Cleveland. Is there something I'm missing? Boston area has two medical device giants in Covidien and Boston Scientific. Until I hear otherwise, Boston has a pretty large advantage over Cleveland in terms of medical instruments.

Quote:
Give up what? A category which Boston absolutely dominates? Maybe Cleveland needs to realize their place in the pecking order when it comes to healthcare.

Also, you mentioned that Cleveland Clinic is like a "city within a city". To a degree, the same could be said about Mass General, albeit a very dense city since it's right next to downtown Boston:
Thanks, Mass General, Mass Ear & Eye, with Spaulding Rehab in the background

Longwood Medical Area, home to Dana Farber, Brigham and Women's, Joslin Diabetes, Beth Israel, and Harvard Medical

That's only one section...here's the other part, which you can start to see at the top of the previous picture...
Thanks

Last edited by tmac9wr; 11-16-2011 at 10:09 AM..

Old 11-16-2011, 09:51 AM

7,268 posts, read 10,585,214 times
I think everyone realizes the prestige of the the Cleveland Clinic, but it does not appear that Cleveland has another institution to match against two nationally-ranked powerhouse medical institutions -- Mass General and Brigham & Women's.

Old 11-16-2011, 10:50 AM

3,844 posts, read 9,279,817 times
Side note: Cleveland Clinic is quickly becoming a global brand (not saying this is good or bad, but instead interesting and noteworthy)

Building facilities in:

1) Florida
2) Las Vegas
3) Abu Dhabi:

Cleveland Clinic Abu Dhabi - YouTube

Old 11-16-2011, 10:52 AM

3,844 posts, read 9,279,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryAlan View Post
I've never been to Cleveland, but from everything I've seen or read about it, I suspect it is a pretty cool city, one where I could probably enjoy living. So it's not like this is a comparison between Boston and, say, Des Moines. But still, any objective review of the items up for comparison in this thread will list Boston first on most of them. That shouldn't be viewed as a negative. Cleveland probably beats most places on these comparisons, it just doesn't beat Boston.
Thanks. BTW, Boston is by far my favorite American east coast city. I've passed up trips to NYC so I could do Boston instead.

If you ever visit Cleveland and need suggestions, feel free to message me!

Old 11-16-2011, 11:01 AM

6,625 posts, read 14,450,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by costello_musicman View Post
Side note: Cleveland Clinic is quickly becoming a global brand (not saying this is good or bad, but instead interesting and noteworthy)

Building facilities in:

1) Florida
2) Las Vegas
3) Abu Dhabi:

That building is really, really cool...what is their endgame with building these facilities in other parts of the country and world?

Old 11-16-2011, 11:55 AM

3,862 posts, read 5,284,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by costello_musicman View Post

Building facilities in:

1) Florida
2) Las Vegas
3) Abu Dhabi:

Cleveland Clinic is a fantastic institution, but it alone cannot match up with the lineup Boston can throw at anyone. No other city in the country receives more NIH funding than Boston, Boston alone secures more than the entire State of Ohio.

Also while CC is already a global brand, so is Partners Healthcare which is the system that runs MGH and BWH.

Partners Harvard Medical International - The Global Leader in Transforming Health Care and Education

Check out the link for projects around the world Partners International has worked in. I know this because I was part of the team that worked on both the Acibadem Healthcare Group project in Istanbul and The Lebanese American University Project in Beirut.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City