Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: which best represents regions
City 7 5.69%
UA 25 20.33%
MSA 64 52.03%
CSA 41 33.33%
Other 7 5.69%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 123. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2011, 07:29 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,987,610 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
How is DC and Baltimore pushing it?? See my previous post...If you draw a 50 mile circle from the radius around the center of the DC/Baltimore area and you draw the same circle radiating out from the center of the Houston area, where do you think your going to find the most people?? I'm not talking MSA's yes i can understand DC/Baltimore function like two separate metros. But the CSA is just a population predictor of specific regions, and from a population in a radius standpoint it is the 4th largest REGION in the country not metro area.
you answered the question yourself.

Just a population predictor but two separately functioning metros
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2011, 08:30 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,138 posts, read 7,595,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
you answered the question yourself.

Just a population predictor but two separately functioning metros
But your not answering my?..My entire arguement states that the metros run independently. "Metro area" and "Region" are 2 different things. DC/Baltimore is 2 metro areas on top of one another that function independently but are interconnected and share 1 region.

The OP is what is the best measure of a region? CSA is the only measure of a region. MSA is a measure of media markets and commuting habits not the population of a region.

So with that said i again ask...How is DC/Baltimore pushing it?

Old 09-25-2011, 08:36 PM

Regions of the country go as follows...Southern California, North Texas aka Dallas-Fort Worth, the Bay Area, Chicagoland, South Florida, New England or lets just say the Boston-Providence CSA part of it, Hampton Roads, VA, Baltimore-Washington. These regions may all be broken up into different MSA's but as regions of the country the only proper way to count them would be by CSA. I don't understand what is so hard to understand about that for people.

Old 09-25-2011, 08:47 PM

27,632 posts, read 28,732,432 times
Quote:
Regions of the country go as follows...Southern California, North Texas aka Dallas-Fort Worth, the Bay Area, Chicagoland, South Florida, New England or lets just say the Boston-Providence CSA part of it, Hampton Roads, VA, Baltimore-Washington. These regions may all be broken up into different MSA's but as regions of the country the only proper way to count them would be by CSA. I don't understand what is so hard to understand about that for people.
I definitely agree that D.C. and Baltimore are two cities that are part of the same region. I don't see how it can be argued otherwise.

Old 09-25-2011, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
I definitely agree that D.C. and Baltimore are two cities that are part of the same region. I don't see how it can be argued otherwise.
no one said they were not from the same region.

Old 09-25-2011, 09:13 PM

Quote:
no one said they were not from the same region.
You clearly said that considering DC/Baltimore is "pushing it." Which makes no sense to me when the CSA area is around 8,000 sq mi. Then you have an area like Dallas and their MSA's sq mi is 9,000 and CSA is 13,000 or whatever it is.

Old 09-25-2011, 09:17 PM

Quote:
You clearly said that considering DC/Baltimore is "pushing it." Which makes no sense to me when the CSA area is around 8,000 sq mi. Then you have an area like Dallas and their MSA's sq mi is 9,000 and CSA is 13,000 or whatever it is.
its not the size, it is the interactions.And I didn't say Dallas or any CSA was good so stop acting like I did.

I said it kinda works for the bay area and DC would be pushing it. Meaning it is the next borderline one. You are acting like I said it was the worst one. I said it was pushing it. Kinda sorta a yes/ no one for me.

My opinion

Old 09-25-2011, 09:19 PM

Follow the train of thought:

Quote:
See that is my problem with CSA's it adds 50% of the land area of the MSA to the region but only brings in 1% of the GDP and 100,000 residents.

CSA's stretch the boundaries too far
Quote:
Originally Posted by justme02 View Post
I think so too. The only exceptions I could really see to this rule are DC/Baltimore, San Francisco/San Jose, and maybe LA/OC/Riverside/San Bernadino.

Other than that I feel that CSAs are not the best measure.
Quote:
LA would best be represented by its UA. LA's CSA is 33,000 sq miles and includes too much nothingness and thus is prime example of the failings of County based assessments.

A UA of the entire Bay would probably work best too.

DC with Baltimore is pushing it.

Old 09-25-2011, 09:30 PM

27,632 posts, read 28,732,432 times
D.C. and Baltimore are basically overlapping metropolitan areas. A "double-metropolis" is what I like to call it.

Old 09-26-2011, 05:56 AM

1,103 posts, read 2,264,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slyman11 View Post
Some cities barely have a CSA that edges their MSA's. I'm sure places like Houston and Chicago don't care for their CSA's all it adds is a minuscule population and large land areas. Cities like Boston, SF, LA, Deroit, and NYC are where the CSA shows the true size from the willingness of where one wishes to live and traverse to and from their jobs. Places like Phoenix, Miami, Tampa don't have much say in regards to CSA considering they don't have one and Phoenix and Miami never will. This forum is a reflection of their cities, places where CSA's traverse more freely in flow like SF, LA, Boston, Detroit, NYC those people feel that is their metro and places that pointlessly have CSA's like Chicago, Philly, or Houston are either opposed to or just don't care for it.

The only CSA I am opposed to is DC/Baltimore, all consisting of else is tolerable. I will never support the DC/Baltimore CSA
we went over this before. nobody cares what you support when the facts are already outlined.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City