Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2011, 05:25 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,112,972 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gateway Region View Post
Is this a joke? You think Seattle has more foot traffic than Boston and Philly? SF as second?

This just proves to me west coasters truly have no clue what urban means/foot traffic.
If my list is out of the realm of possibility for you than I know you havent set foot in those cities. SF is a solid second. Seattle is arguable, it only lacks sustained density around downtown, other than that its extremely vibrant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2011, 05:25 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,487,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Green Bay.
LOL...Lovely.

Old 10-25-2011, 05:26 PM

Location: NY-NJ-Philly looks down at SF and laughs at the hippies
1,144 posts, read 1,295,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
If my list is out of the realm of possibility for you than I know you havent set foot in those cities. SF is a solid second. Seattle is arguable, it only lacks sustained density around downtown, other than that its extremely vibrant.
No, it's not a solid second. Philly, Chicago and Boston have SF beat.

Old 10-25-2011, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gateway Region View Post
No, it's not a solid second. Philly, Chicago and Boston have SF beat.

You really need to buy a plane ticket....

Old 10-25-2011, 05:33 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,895,654 times
Quote:
Solid suggests not able to be realistically argued. Just flat out not the case.

On Seattle agree and this lack of sustained density not just outside the DT but even within makes it below others. Unless you feel it is comparable to SF i dont see how realistically this assetion can be made. As I said earlier i can agree an argument can be made for SF at number 2, though not a "solid" number 2 as you suggest. but to to suggest Seattle surpasses Philly or Boston would make Seattle arguably ahead of SF. So what is it slo, is Seattle in the same category as SF? If not I am pretty sure your logic does not hold up on one or the other

Ans yes I ABSOLUTELY have set foot and spent considerable time in all these DTs in discussion, lived in 4 of them (LA the one with the least in the DT area among these NYC/Boston/Philly/DC/Chicago/SF/Seattle/LA).

My recollection is that you spent less than a combined 48 hours in Philly.

I can tell you with certainty that I have spent far more time in all these and even may venture to guess I have also spent more time in Seattle than you but will admit my time in DT LA is limited to probably less than 14 days in total. All others (including Boston and Chicago) probably in the 50 to 100+ for those I have not resided.

Old 10-25-2011, 05:33 PM

Location: NY-NJ-Philly looks down at SF and laughs at the hippies
1,144 posts, read 1,295,468 times
Quote:
You really need to buy a plane ticket....
Goes both ways. Pot meet kettle.

Old 10-25-2011, 05:34 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,487,099 times
Quote:
Yes, and very upscale too.

People like to dismiss the value of that but when your downtown has top shelf shopping, dining, entertainment, cultural amenities apart from the normal M-F, 9-5 office crowd, your downtown becomes a destination, and that's precisely what downtown Seattle is.

Old 10-25-2011, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Solid suggests not able to be realistically argued. Just flat out not the case.

On Seattle agree and this lack of sustained density not just outside the DT but even within makes it below others. Unless you feel it is comparable to SF i dont see how realistically this assetion can be made. As I said earlier i can agree an argument can be made for SF at number 2, though not a "solid" number 2 as you suggest. but to to suggest Seattle surpasses Philly or Boston would make Seattle arguably ahead of Seattle. So what is it slo

Ans yes I ABSOLUTELY have set foot and spent considerable time in all these DTs in discussion, lived in 4 of them (LA the least in the DT).

My recollection is that you spent less than a combined 48 hours in Philly.

I can tell you with certainty that I have spent far more time in all these and even may venture to guess I have also spent more time in Seattle than you but will admit my time in DT LA is limited to probably less than 14 days in total. All others (including Boston and Chicago) probably in the 50 to 100+ for those I have not resided.
Not me. I said Ive been there several times for a week at a time.

Anyway, its all arguable, and generally your points are valid. Having spent time in all, and no I dont think you have to "live" there. SF to me is a solid second overall. Not on every criteria of course. Chicago certainly is solid second on skyline and highrise development and its not close. In terms of downtown vibrancy and foottraffic, Seattle is right up there with Philly and Boston, but of course when you add in all other factors, like we spoke of it falls back a bit.....

Old 10-25-2011, 05:39 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,895,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Yes, and very upscale too.

People like to dismiss the value of that but when your downtown has top shelf shopping, dining, entertainment, cultural amenities apart from the normal M-F, 9-5 office crowd, your downtown becomes a destination, and that's precisely what downtown Seattle is.

So a question for you Montclaire - Are you suggesting that Seattle has more these attributes than would a Boston or Philly not to mention the DT population and those that directly the area.

Old 10-25-2011, 05:40 PM

815 posts, read 1,857,237 times
Chicago is easily #2... SF #2? Serious? You obviously haven't spent much time in Chicago DT ... there are over 600k people in Chicago DT everyday, 3/4 of the entire population of SF in only a few square miles.
You might have a few crowded areas on market and in china town where the streets are narrow and you almost have to push through people bumbling around...but no...no way. Seriously?

http://www.chicagoloopalliance.com/pdfs/2011_Loop_Economic_Study_FINAL.pdf (broken link)

Here, read ... actual pedestrian traffic counts are in there as well as other interesting statistics.

Waits for somebody in SF to provide pedestrian foot count stats. Businesses track these in order to place where they will open new retail, so somebody should be able to find some data, and SF downtown information comparable to that ^
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City