Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city has the best nightlife?
Houston 22 6.04%
Austin 25 6.87%
Dallas 18 4.95%
New Orleans 144 39.56%
Memphis 6 1.65%
Nashville 22 6.04%
Atlanta 117 32.14%
Orlando 10 2.75%
Voters: 364. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2011, 12:06 PM

Location: NY-NJ-Philly looks down at SF and laughs at the hippies
1,144 posts, read 1,295,468 times

Advertisements

In order......

Houston
Dallas
Austin
Atlanta
Orlando
NOLA
Nashville
Memphis

I am sorry, but after Atlanta there is a huge drop off and it starts getting hick.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2011, 12:10 PM

815 posts, read 1,857,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Montrose, Deep Ellum, Miami Beach, and L5P are urban.
L5P? You have to be kidding, I already addressed L5P in a prior post. L5P Is like a 2-3 block retail strip in the middle of a suburban neighborhood. It looks absolutely NOTHING like South Beach.

Old 11-08-2011, 12:20 PM

358 posts, read 754,731 times
I've grown to hate the French Quarter. Nothing like seeing a bunch of drunk conventioneers whooping it up in the streets without their spouses, on any given night.

Old 11-08-2011, 12:23 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,327,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gateway Region View Post
In order......

Houston
Dallas
Austin
Atlanta
Orlando
NOLA
Nashville
Memphis

I am sorry, but after Atlanta there is a huge drop off and it starts getting hick.
lol, have you actually experienced the night life in any of those "hick" cities?

Old 11-08-2011, 12:28 PM

Location: NY-NJ-Philly looks down at SF and laughs at the hippies
1,144 posts, read 1,295,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nashvols View Post
lol, have you actually experienced the night life in any of those "hick" cities?
Yes, NOLA/Memphis and Nashville had hick culture and it started with the food, the accents, the obsession with SEC football, the way people dress, etc. The scene in these cities simply were not my style, everyone has their take b/c it's an opinion.

Last edited by Gateway Region; 11-08-2011 at 12:40 PM..

Old 11-08-2011, 01:08 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,291,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxposure View Post
I've grown to hate the French Quarter. Nothing like seeing a bunch of drunk conventioneers whooping it up in the streets without their spouses, on any given night.
Thats why many locals don't go.

Old 11-08-2011, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Yes, NOLA/Memphis and Nashville had hick culture and it started with the food, the accents, the obsession with SEC football, the way people dress, etc. The scene in these cities simply were not my style, everyone has their take b/c it's an opinion.
Yeah, that confirms it. You've never actually been there.

Old 11-08-2011, 01:19 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,291,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nashvols View Post
Yeah, that confirms it. You've never actually been there.
I know he has been to NOLA but his opinions are from another planet.

Old 11-08-2011, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
I know he has been to NOLA but his opinions are from another planet.
Or he's just never really experienced the nightlife.

I mean, if he had said "it's just not my style." Fine. I get that. Unfortunately the perceived night life in each of these towns (French Quarter - New Orleans, Beale St - Memphis, Lower Broad - Nashville) are all heavy tourist spots...so a lot of people are only getting part of what the scene is really about (that's probably true for many cities, though).

It's the SEC football comment that has me really confused. In Nashville, for instance, unless you happened to go on a night after Vandy has hosted an SEC opponent (where their fans might crowd the bars), you're probably not going to come across a helluva lot of SEC talk...because a large number of the people there aren't even from SEC territory. A lot of them are visiting from other states (many of them being from the north).

Most of the "hickish" crowd here would tend to gravitate to the well known Honkytonks, primarily concentrated along two streets in Nashville. I wouldn't describe the rest of Nashville's scene as "hickish." Not in the least. It's not all steel guitars and twangy Country (also, I'm not a Country fan, but I'll say that it's still easy to have a good time in the Country-themed bars...but I realize not everyone agrees with that).

I definitely wouldn't describe what I know/have experienced with Memphis and New Orleans night life as "hickish" either.

Old 11-08-2011, 02:10 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,519,512 times
Quote:
I don't know what New Orleans you have visited but that is far different than what most others experience New Orleans nightlife to be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City