Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city has the best nightlife?
Houston 22 6.04%
Austin 25 6.87%
Dallas 18 4.95%
New Orleans 144 39.56%
Memphis 6 1.65%
Nashville 22 6.04%
Atlanta 117 32.14%
Orlando 10 2.75%
Voters: 364. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2011, 11:26 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,927,598 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Outside of Houston's loop is not urban, much of it inside the loop isn't urban.
Much of the land inside 285 in Atlanta is spread out.
Miami has a grid but doesn't compare to older cities.
Well, Miami's nightlife can go toe-to-toe with all those stuffy older cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2011, 11:41 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,291,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Well, Miami's nightlife can go toe-to-toe with all those stuffy older cities.
Never said otherwise.

Old 11-09-2011, 03:32 AM

2,856 posts, read 4,615,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
How did you come up with that?
Atlanta, Houston, and Dallas are similar.

How did I come up with that? Well let's I like Atlanta's nightlife better than Houston's and especially Dallas. Also, New Orleans has an unique nightlife as well that I favor over Dallas and Houston....

As I put: Based on my taste....

Old 11-09-2011, 08:35 AM

20,514 posts, read 33,519,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lgonzalez12 View Post

And yes Miami, Dallas, Atlanta, Houston, and NOLA are urban. Like I stated before Miami is the 4th most urban city behind NY, LA, and CHI. So while you're in Seattle take a good look around and enjoy the "hick" town that is less urban then Miami.
I think you are all taking his comment on what is urban and what isn't the wrong way. None of these cities outside NOLA are urban to most people from the older Midwestern, Northeastern, Western, European, and Asian cities. They are spread out and unwalkable. These cities are dominated by the car thus is why their cities are built for them. We like to call these places suburban. Atlanta, Dallas, and Houston are suburban in nature with small pockets of urbanity in them. Miami is dense but it is just as car centric as the other three Southern cities. But because Miami is dense, and it's by an ocean, it escapes the wrath of the urban "elitists". Only Miami Beach can pass off as urban in the metro. The rest of South Florida is pretty much suburban like the rest of the South. NOLA is pretty much urban and that's because most of it's growth was before the car.

Keep in mind that Houston, Dallas, and Atlanta did not choose this type of growth. It's just their growth happened during the time when the car became king. But can you find urban living in these cities? You most surely can. It's just not as abundant as Chicago, NYC, Philadelphia, and SF.

Last edited by Spade; 11-09-2011 at 08:56 AM..

Old 11-09-2011, 08:36 AM

815 posts, read 1,857,237 times
What do you guys like about Atlanta nightlife? Upscale hip hop clubs and strip clubs? I'm just curious...

^Spade good post, and as you can see in my previous posts in this thread, I already explained this. I did not see any comments about it, as the suburban areas I posted 20-40 miles outside of Chicago for instance are just as "urban" and lively at night as any of the nightlife spots in the southern new sunbelt cities. I say "urban" in quotes, b/c they aren't urban, they are suburban. And as I posted from the OFFICIAL sites of the neighborhoods they reside in, the people who run the sites call them suburban. As does every single wikipedia reference. ... I think I will go with what the official neighborhood coalitions say about the area along with wikipedia and my long term and recent experience instead of random city data posters. As you said, they are spread out and unwalkable. They are only urban if you have never left the south or spent some time in New Orleans or DC to see what an urban city in the south actually operates. But, this country isn't just the south... and people live in the same country, you need to get out more if you think these areas are urban, b/c everybody else in the country from the west coast, to the midwest to the northeast, to canada to mexico, to europe, to asia will just have a good laugh.

Last edited by Garfieldian; 11-09-2011 at 08:48 AM..

Old 11-09-2011, 08:39 AM

965 posts, read 1,884,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfieldian View Post
What do you guys like about Atlanta nightlife? Upscale hip hop clubs and strip clubs? I'm just curious...
Swinging Richards

BTW Garfeldian, Wikipedia is not considered to be the best source for things considering anyone can go in there and edit an article to their liking.

These arguments about what is "urban" sure as hell get tiresome. Get a life.

Last edited by Overcooked_Oatmeal; 11-09-2011 at 08:48 AM..

Old 11-09-2011, 08:51 AM

815 posts, read 1,857,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overcooked_Oatmeal View Post
Swinging Richards

BTW Garfeldian, Wikipedia is not considered to be the best source for things considering anyone can go in there and edit an article to their liking.

These arguments about what is "urban" sure as hell get tiresome. Get a life.
Then the official sites for inman park, candler park decatur and virginia highlands, if you wouldn't cherry pick my post to make a homer post aren't reliable either I suppose. What exactly is reliable then in your book? Shall I post them all again? B/C I will, and will continue to every single time some homer wants to make their city something it isn't. Over and over and over again until the point gets through their provincial world view. If I see information which is false and misleading, I will continue to correct it.
Don't lecture me on the merits of wikipedia. What did you just take a media studies class in high school and want to rant about your findings? Back off.

Old 11-09-2011, 08:56 AM

8,485 posts, read 14,990,056 times
Quote:
Then the official sites for inman park, candler park decatur and virginia highlands, if you wouldn't cherry pick my post to make a homer post aren't reliable either I suppose. What exactly is reliable then in your book? Shall I post them all again? B/C I will, and will continue to every single time some homer wants to make their city something it isn't. Over and over and over again until the point gets through their provincial world view.
Don't lecture me on wikipedia. What did you just take a media studies class in high school and want to rant about your findings? Back off.
I suppose you aren't curious enough to research that those "suburbs" were built in the late 19th/early 20th century and around mass transit (streetcars) so they are not at all like the suburbs you imagine like the ones built post 1950s. Those neighborhoods are not all that much different build wise than the "bungalow belt" in Chicago or how most of Detroit is or pretty much any Victorian era area in any major city in this country.

Again though, your obsession with this subject is petty and off topic for the thread.

And LOL at you for thinking all there is to Atlanta nightlife are hip-hop clubs and strip clubs. SMH.

Old 11-09-2011, 08:57 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,291,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdw1084 View Post
How did I come up with that? Well let's I like Atlanta's nightlife better than Houston's and especially Dallas. Also, New Orleans has an unique nightlife as well that I favor over Dallas and Houston....

As I put: Based on my taste....
I was just curious because Atlanta's and Houston's are pretty identical.

Old 11-09-2011, 08:58 AM

965 posts, read 1,884,956 times
Quote:
Then the official sites for inman park, candler park and virginia highlands, if you wouldn't cherry pick my post to make a homer post aren't reliable either I suppose. What exactly is reliable then in your book? Shall I post them all again? B/C I will, and will continue to every single time some homer wants to make their city something it isn't. Over and over and over again until the point gets through their provincial world view.
Don't lecture me on wikipedia. What did you just take a media studies class in high school and want to rant about your findings? Back off.
Awww, someone is mad! Do me a favor and calm your ass down instead of getting all indignant and petty like a spoiled brat I'll lecture people on what I want whenever I damn well please, thank you very much. No one died and made you a moderator.

The actual sources that people use to create Wikipedia articles are the most reliable rather than the Wikipedia articles themselves was all I was saying. You repeating things "over and over" as you say is useless and unnecessary because people aren't going to change their minds. This is a thread about nightlife, not about urbanity.

BTW, I'm not from Atlanta (or the South for that matter), but nice assumption you made there about me supposedly being a homer Besides, I actually agree with what you and Spade are saying, no need to be such a jerk.

BACK ON TOPIC - New Orleans, Atlanta, Memphis
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City