Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city has the best nightlife?
Houston 22 6.04%
Austin 25 6.87%
Dallas 18 4.95%
New Orleans 144 39.56%
Memphis 6 1.65%
Nashville 22 6.04%
Atlanta 117 32.14%
Orlando 10 2.75%
Voters: 364. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2011, 09:01 AM

815 posts, read 1,857,237 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
I suppose you aren't curious enough to research that those "suburbs" were built in the late 19th/early 20th century and around mass transit (streetcars) so they are not at all like the suburbs you imagine like the ones built post 1950s. Those neighborhoods are not all that much different build wise than the "bungalow belt" in Chicago or how most of Detroit is or pretty much any Victorian era area in any major city in this country.

Again though, your obsession with this subject is petty and off topic for the thread.

And LOL at you for thinking all there is to Atlanta nightlife are hip-hop clubs and strip clubs. SMH.
Way to twist my words around once again and post things which are irrelevant to how ATLANTA is to deflect the conversation waronxmas. You sure are keeping up the homer spirit. No worries, we all know what Atlanta is about and know you will twist and mislead at all costs. I have no obsession, like I said, if you continue to post misleading data, I will continue to pick your posts apart. It isn't off topic whatsoever, I'm just enlightening your provincial Atlanta-centric views on the world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2011, 09:04 AM

8,485 posts, read 14,990,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfieldian View Post
Way to twist my words around once again and post things which are irrelevant to how ATLANTA is to deflect the conversation waronxmas. You sure are keeping up the homer spirit. No worries, we all know what Atlanta is about and know you will twist and mislead at all costs. I have no obsession, like I said, if you continue to post misleading data, I will continue to pick your posts apart. It isn't off topic whatsoever, I'm just enlightening your provincial Atlanta-centric views on the world.
Are you not constantly repeating this "suburban" meme as if to suggest that those neighborhoods are not urban and thus inferior when they are built pretty much the same way as residential neighborhoods in your Chicago?

All that is clear here is that you are on this mission to do...something...and your knowledge is built off of Google searches and what you see on TV.

Old 11-09-2011, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Are you not constantly repeating this "suburban" meme as if to suggest that those neighborhoods are not urban and thus inferior when they are built pretty much the same way as residential neighborhoods in your Chicago?

All that is clear here is that you are on this mission to do...something.
Not at all. Nothing to do with Chicago I have lived in several cities. I did not bring it up, another poster did as to say Atlanta did not have any concentrated nightlife such as DC, of which I agreed. In no way does it make the establishments inferior, it does however make the way which nightlife is approached different based on what city you are in, and it certainly will change the experience.

Quote:

All that is clear here is that you are on this mission to do...something...and your knowledge is built off of Google searches and what you see on TV.
Nope, I have been in Atlanta dozens of times and was in several of the areas mentioned just last month. They still are in no way shape or form urban, so ... I'm not sure what your point here is? Would you like me to post pictures? Or do you want to continue to try to call me a liar which is frankly a distasteful ad hominem attack. I'm sorry, lots of people know what Atlanta has to offer, it isn't some hidden city off the radar which isn't exposed or people don't visit and see it for themselves. Look, I have no issues with Atlanta. I like Atlanta, you guys just constantly try to paint it as something it isn't. Stop calling those areas urban or that Atlanta is walkable or anything like that and there would never be any issues.

Last edited by Garfieldian; 11-09-2011 at 09:17 AM..

Old 11-09-2011, 09:23 AM

8,485 posts, read 14,990,056 times
Quote:
Not at all. Nothing to do with Chicago I have lived in several cities. I did not bring it up, another poster did as to say Atlanta did not have any concentrated nightlife such as DC, of which I agreed. In no way does it make the establishments inferior, it does however make the way which nightlife is approached different based on what city you are in.
Ok, but your thinking is flawed. Based on your constant harping on it, you are using the word "suburban" to mean that it's like how most of America thinks of it in 2011 terms: unwalkable, not connected by mass transit, disconnected from the core of the city, devoid of street level retail, etc. In reality, none of those things are true for Virigina-Highland or Inman Park or the few other neighborhoods on that side of town because they were built during a period of time before the automobile saw mass usage and thus created these village type retail centers in their centers for the surrounding residents. Those retail centers today are where you will find parts of Atlanta's nightlife.

So which will it be? Will you actually take a moment to look at how these neighborhoods are built or do you want to continue to repeat "OMFG THEY'RE SUBURBAN!!!!1" over and over again like it actually means something. SMH

Quote:
Nope, I have been in Atlanta dozens of times and was in several of the areas mentioned just last month.
And all you were able to find were able to find were hip-hop clubs and strip clubs? Interesting...

Quote:
They still are in no way shape or form urban, so ...
You started this whole suburban thread, not I.

Quote:
I'm not sure what your point here is? Would you like me to post pictures?
Do whatever makes you feel awesome.

Quote:
Or do you want to continue to try to call me a liar which is frankly a distasteful ad hominem attack.
I never called you a liar. I called you misinformed and that you were drawing the wrong conclusion from things your read on the Internet.

Quote:
I'm sorry, lots of people know what Atlanta has to offer, it isn't some hidden city off the radar which isn't exposed or people don't visit and see it for themselves. Look, I have no issues with Atlanta. I like Atlanta, you guys just constantly try to paint it as something it isn't. Stop calling those areas urban or that Atlanta is walkable or anything like that and there would never be any issues.
Look, I have no need to make people "like Atlanta". I like it here and that's all that matters to me. However seeing this is where I live and take a lot of interest and pride in this city rather than rolling with the C-D meme that it's a drab "suburban style city" I feel obligated to counter the claims that were made. If you can't handle someone disagreeing with you that isn't my problem.

Last edited by waronxmas; 11-09-2011 at 09:39 AM..

Old 11-09-2011, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Ok, but your thinking is flawed. Based on your constant harping on it, you are using the word "suburban" to mean that it's like how most of America thinks of it in 2011 terms: unwalkable, not connected by mass transit, disconnected from the core of the city, devoid of street level retail, etc. In reality, none of those things are true for Virigina-Highland or Inman Park or the few other neighborhoods on that side of town because they were built during a period of time before the automobile saw mass usage and thus created these village type retail centers in their centers for the surrounding residents. Those retail centers today are where you will find parts of Atlanta's nightlife.

So which will it be? Will you actually take a moment to look at how these neighborhoods are built or do you want to continue to repeat "OMFG THEY'RE SUBURBAN!!!!1" over and over again like it actually means something. SMH
I know how they are built, they are retail/commercial areas in quintessential leafy suburban feel neighborhoods and many are fairly close to MARTA lines, and in some cases very close such as Decatur stop. This would qualify as suburban commercial squares anywhere else, and well, that is what they are. Doesn't discount the establishments, but it does effect the orientation towards approaching nightlife in Atlanta for the weekend, vs say New Orleans or Miami Beach for the weekend. They are very different.

Old 11-09-2011, 09:49 AM

Location: NY-NJ-Philly looks down at SF and laughs at the hippies
1,144 posts, read 1,295,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overcooked_Oatmeal View Post
Awww, someone is mad! Do me a favor and calm your ass down instead of getting all indignant and petty like a spoiled brat I'll lecture people on what I want whenever I damn well please, thank you very much. No one died and made you a moderator.

The actual sources that people use to create Wikipedia articles are the most reliable rather than the Wikipedia articles themselves was all I was saying. You repeating things "over and over" as you say is useless and unnecessary because people aren't going to change their minds. This is a thread about nightlife, not about urbanity.

BTW, I'm not from Atlanta (or the South for that matter), but nice assumption you made there about me supposedly being a homer Besides, I actually agree with what you and Spade are saying, no need to be such a jerk.

BACK ON TOPIC - New Orleans, Atlanta, Memphis
He spoke the truth, I agree with him. Anyways, you want to get back on topic? No problem.

NOLA - NOLA is a crime ridden dump where citizens partying/tourists have to worry about criminals robbing them of all their cash and must be extra careful while being intoxicated. If they are not worried about getting robbed then they have to worry about fat/southern chicks flashing them say "look yall", with an LSU tshirt on, which is what happened to me. The nightlife in NOLA is bland, the women are overweight, the air is sticky and basicly the whole city is in the middle of a swamp.

Atlanta - Atlanta offers nothing really unique or nothing to make fun of. Just your average nightlife.

Memphis - Memphis has thug culture and is straight hooligan.

How is that for my nightlife review?

Last edited by Gateway Region; 11-09-2011 at 09:58 AM..

Old 11-09-2011, 09:52 AM

Here is NOLA front and center with their thugged out culture.

16 Shot, 2 Fatally, On Halloween In New Orleans

Old 11-09-2011, 09:59 AM

965 posts, read 1,884,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gateway Region View Post
How is that for my nightlife review?

Old 11-09-2011, 10:03 AM

^ you asked for the thread to be on topic and to discuss the nightlife of those cities and give opinions on them. Correct? That is exactly what I did.

Old 11-09-2011, 10:06 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,291,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gateway Region View Post
Here is NOLA front and center with their thugged out culture.

16 Shot, 2 Fatally, On Halloween In New Orleans
People are shot everywhere. And no, you don't have to watch your back if you stay where you're supposed to be. I wouldn't be wandering around East New York because I don't know the streets. Common sense.
2 Cops Among 67 Shot in Weekend Violence; Teen and 56-Year-Old Bystander Killed | NBC New York

67 people shot but you never mention NYC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City