Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2007, 01:27 PM

2,904 posts, read 6,913,994 times

Advertisements

Only the Northeast. not the midwest or anything west of it. And it's not necessarily derogatory either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2007, 01:28 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,432,349 times
Interesting thread. I agree with Vasinger as to the definition. I've often read it applies to anyone north of the Mason/Dixon line.

I've never been offended by the word since I don't normally hear it used in a deragatory term. Not sure if I technically fit the category since my area wasn't even in statehood during the Civil War. AND of course I wasn't on earth yet then so I don't normally give it a lot of thought. To me, the term along with other hard feelings should have died a LONG time ago.

And sticking with your request, I have my state listed on my posts and I've spent my entire life here.

Old 08-26-2007, 02:26 PM

549 posts, read 625,344 times
to answer your questions, I live in Northern Virginia outside DC and this place is defintely not Southern in any way, despite this being Virginia. I'm originally from Brookyln, NY (Bay Ridge, which is very Italian/Irish) and I always thought yankees were WASPs but I guess the term applies to anyone born and raised north of the Mason-Dixon Line

personally, though, I consider Maryland to be yankee territory

Old 08-26-2007, 02:39 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,598,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GottaHerdOn View Post
How is West Virginia not a Yankee state. We left the state of Virginia when they succeeded from the union. So in my opinion WV is a Yankee state. We wanted to be a part of the union not of the confederacy. We didn't have the similar economic interests that the confederate states had, i.e. bettering their tobacco, cotton, peach farms. True that West Virginia was said to have brother fighting against brother during the civil war. But generally it seems that southern WV if anything seemed to be confederate or rebel than the rest of the state. Northern WV was all Yankee. This is all IMO though

FIRST of all y'all (hey, I made a rhyme! LOL), THANKS for the replies and keep 'em comin'! (and post your home state/residence).

As to the question of West Virginia, I would say the reason it is NOT really truly "yankee" is that folks from there tend to speak a bit Southern and all. To be more country and laid back. I may be wrong, but it just strikes me that way. VERY true they didn't join the Confederacy and, in fact, came into being out of refusal NOT to join it. YET? Really, I don't think West Virginians really fit the image of "yankee." Not quite, anyway!

Old 08-26-2007, 02:42 PM

1,489 posts, read 8,795,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyCNY View Post
to answer your questions, I live in Northern Virginia outside DC and this place is defintely not Southern in any way, despite this being Virginia. I'm originally from Brookyln, NY (Bay Ridge, which is very Italian/Irish) and I always thought yankees were WASPs but I guess the term applies to anyone born and raised north of the Mason-Dixon Line

personally, though, I consider Maryland to be yankee territory
Northern Virginia still has some pockets of Southern left. It depends on where you are in NOVA. Its a very transient area so there aren't many natives left in the region.

Same can be said for Charlotte and Atlanta.

Old 08-26-2007, 02:44 PM

217 posts, read 878,989 times
Quote:
How is West Virginia not a Yankee state. We left the state of Virginia when they succeeded from the union. So in my opinion WV is a Yankee state. We wanted to be a part of the union not of the confederacy. We didn't have the similar economic interests that the confederate states had, i.e. bettering their tobacco, cotton, peach farms. True that West Virginia was said to have brother fighting against brother during the civil war. But generally it seems that southern WV if anything seemed to be confederate or rebel than the rest of the state. Northern WV was all Yankee. This is all IMO though
Good point.

My daughter attends WVU in Morgantown and after visiting her, my conclusion is that although WV is clearly Appalachian, it doesn't mean it's southern. I consider western PA Appalchian too.

I always thought New Englanders were the Yankees though.

Old 08-26-2007, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by decafdave View Post
Only the Northeast. not the midwest or anything west of it. And it's not necessarily derogatory either.
Um, I have disagree there. People from Chiacago, Cleveland, Detroit, are all yankees IMO. Of course there's nothing wrong with it

Its just really they are part of the northern culture. Most all of the midwest is part of the Northern culture. The very southern tips of midwestern states- esp Indiana and Illinois may have some southern-midwestern flavor, but for the most part the Mason Dixon Line runs though all those areas.

Old 08-26-2007, 02:55 PM

572 posts, read 2,088,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mead View Post
I'd consider some parts of Maryland and Delaware to be Southern even though they were part of the union. I have a friend who grew up in a rural area of Maryland and he has a definitive southern drawl.

I usually think of anything to the northeast of Pennsylvania as being a "yankee" state, however I guess those states in the midwest like Ohio, Indiana, Illinois should be included as well.
I agree with this. To anyone NYC and North, MD, DE and VA are definitely considered "southern states." Folks in those states, however, consider themselves more northern.

Quote:
How is West Virginia not a Yankee state.
WV, a YANKEE state? No way. More Midwest or southern.

Old 08-26-2007, 04:30 PM

With the exception of possibly Northern Virginia, folks in Virginia do not consider themselves anything but Southerners.

Old 08-26-2007, 09:31 PM

718 posts, read 2,687,669 times
I don't see how you could call California a yankee state. Granted there were the california volunteers in the civil war; but californians generally have just as much if not more apathy towards the towards the north east as southerners do...generally speaking...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City