Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which has a better Downtown
Philadelphia 192 62.34%
Seattle 116 37.66%
Voters: 308. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2011, 09:46 PM

2,471 posts, read 4,017,562 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoYoMa69 View Post
LOL at shopping being a "not major" category. What bigger categories to the quality of a downtown is there other than shopping?
haha is this serious?

You do realize that some people actually live and/or work downtown and don't just utilize it to go shopping right? In this case there are about a million things more important than shopping. Transportation, vibrancy, walkability, nightlife, dining, entertainment, safety, etc.

Do you really posit the most important category in determining the quality of a downtown is "shopping"? I guess your list of top downtowns must be really weird. I don't think many other people would consider Bloomington, Minnesota and King of Prussia, Pennsylvania as some of the finest downtowns in America but I guess by your criteria they are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2011, 10:39 PM

571 posts, read 1,173,274 times
Yes, it is serious. Shopping is one of the major factors regarding downtown livability. Seattle has upscale shopping i.e. Gucci/Louis Vuitton Barney's NY, flagship Nordie's, Macy's along with an upcoming Target, Walgreen's etc.... a Whole Food and other less expensive grocers for downtown residents. I'd say shopping opportunities are just as important to a downtown's relevancy as office workers and residents. While Seattle obviously trails Philly significantly in regards to downtown residents, office workers is a different story. Seattle is not that far behind. If a downtown resident doesn't utilize downtown to shop, where do they go? That argument for Philly falls short. Not only does Seattle have a very strong shopping/live/work element to downtown, but we have cities in the metro that can match King of Prussia, etc (Bellevue)...

Transit in DT Seattle is simple and free. Safety - well, Seattle is one of the safest cities in the US, approaching Canadian levels of crime (or lack thereof)...it is vibrant, if you want nightlife - check out Belltown, Pioneer Square, or Capitol Hill...all very connected and walkable from the core. You want entertainment? Walk to the stadiums, the symphony, concerts, the convention center, the market, the waterfront.....there is not much more a US downtown could offer. I don't see how Philly could be significantly ahead. Maybe is Seattle is a 99, then Philly is a 100. That's about it.

Old 11-19-2011, 08:35 AM

7,269 posts, read 10,591,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJKirkland View Post
Yes, it is serious. Shopping is one of the major factors regarding downtown livability. Seattle has upscale shopping i.e. Gucci/Louis Vuitton Barney's NY, flagship Nordie's, Macy's along with an upcoming Target, Walgreen's etc.... a Whole Food and other less expensive grocers for downtown residents. I'd say shopping opportunities are just as important to a downtown's relevancy as office workers and residents. While Seattle obviously trails Philly significantly in regards to downtown residents, office workers is a different story. Seattle is not that far behind. If a downtown resident doesn't utilize downtown to shop, where do they go? That argument for Philly falls short. Not only does Seattle have a very strong shopping/live/work element to downtown, but we have cities in the metro that can match King of Prussia, etc (Bellevue)...
I don't think anyone is arguing that shopping is unimportant to downtown vibrancy. However, some people do not place as much of a premium on it as others -- especially when it comes to the types of stores that maybe 10-15% of people can afford.

As people have conceded, Seattle has a fantastic retail base. One thing that goes under the radar in Philadelphia is the fantastic independent retailers/boutiques. You may not find a Nordstrom's here, but you don't find historic institutions like Boyd's or actual historic districts like "Jeweler's Row" in very many cities. In other words, there's a uniqueness factor to Philly's shopping.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJKirkland View Post
Transit in DT Seattle is simple and free. Safety - well, Seattle is one of the safest cities in the US, approaching Canadian levels of crime (or lack thereof)...it is vibrant, if you want nightlife - check out Belltown, Pioneer Square, or Capitol Hill...all very connected and walkable from the core. You want entertainment? Walk to the stadiums, the symphony, concerts, the convention center, the market, the waterfront.....there is not much more a US downtown could offer.
Again, Seattle seems to have remarkable completeness compared to most American downtowns, but I think the argument here is scale. That's not to say Seattle's downtown is small or insignificant; it's just not comparable in size to Center City and its environs.

Old 11-19-2011, 08:39 AM

1,717 posts, read 4,649,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by one more thing View Post
Don't get ahead of yourself now, Mr. Neutrino
How so?

Old 11-19-2011, 12:14 PM

571 posts, read 1,173,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
I don't think anyone is arguing that shopping is unimportant to downtown vibrancy. However, some people do not place as much of a premium on it as others -- especially when it comes to the types of stores that maybe 10-15% of people can afford.

As people have conceded, Seattle has a fantastic retail base. One thing that goes under the radar in Philadelphia is the fantastic independent retailers/boutiques. You may not find a Nordstrom's here, but you don't find historic institutions like Boyd's or actual historic districts like "Jeweler's Row" in very many cities. In other words, there's a uniqueness factor to Philly's shopping.

Again, Seattle seems to have remarkable completeness compared to most American downtowns, but I think the argument here is scale. That's not to say Seattle's downtown is small or insignificant; it's just not comparable in size to Center City and its environs.
All good points- I can definitely see where you're coming from. I agree to that having a substantial base of independent shops is a huge asset! Good to hear they're thriving in Philly!

Old 11-19-2011, 04:48 PM

14,020 posts, read 15,008,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillies2011 View Post
haha is this serious?

You do realize that some people actually live and/or work downtown and don't just utilize it to go shopping right? In this case there are about a million things more important than shopping. Transportation, vibrancy, walkability, nightlife, dining, entertainment, safety, etc.

Do you really posit the most important category in determining the quality of a downtown is "shopping"? I guess your list of top downtowns must be really weird. I don't think many other people would consider Bloomington, Minnesota and King of Prussia, Pennsylvania as some of the finest downtowns in America but I guess by your criteria they are.
IF there is no shopping then these catagories generally don't matter bacuse there is no need to go there, or are severly affected because a large amount of food traffic is for shopping.

Old 11-19-2011, 04:55 PM

2,209 posts, read 4,223,852 times
The Arts alone, Philly obliterates anything Seattle has going on.

Old 11-19-2011, 05:00 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,413,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by one more thing View Post
Don't get ahead of yourself now, Mr. Neutrino
Everything he posted is more or less true, Captain East Coast.

Old 11-19-2011, 05:29 PM

1,717 posts, read 4,649,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
Everything he posted is more or less true, Captain East Coast.
Those damned pesky facts always get in the way of a good argument don't they?

Old 11-19-2011, 06:03 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,371,920 times
Vibrancy - Center City
Amentities - Tied overall
Culture - Prefer Seattle, nerdier
Dining - Seattle by a small bit, the oysters there had me tearing up a little
Markets - Prefer Pike Place to Reading Terminal?
Shopping - Seattle
Museums - Center City by a large margin and even larger once the Barnes Foundation moves into Center City
Arts (Fine Art) - ? Like production of? Don't know
Public Art - Tied, CC's more noticeable, but kind of schlocky to me
Cafes - Tied, about the same for me
Activities - Seems CC is more packed
Bars - Preferred the ones in Seattle, they were more fun for me
Transportation - Weird one here as Philly obviously has the bigger infrastructure and it's much easier to get to other places outside of CC or even Philly itself than it is for downtown Seattle. However, downtown Seattle has better service if only talking about getting around within itself as buses are fairly clean, the other passengers and drivers generally courteous, the buses are timely with a nice app you can use to see the next one coming, the loading times are incredibly short as you can use their RFID ORCA card where you just pass on over a sensor, and lastly, bus rides completely within downtown Seattle are FREE.
Housing Stock - Philly's is more visually pleasing to me
Population - Seattle to some extent
Next Set of Neighborhoods - About tied.
Location - Tied. Northeast might be the best block of urbanity, but Seattle has a wide variety of some of nature's finest easily with reach and two decently large cities (Vancouver and Portland where there needs to be high speed rail quick!) to explore nearby
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City