Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which has a better Downtown
Philadelphia 192 62.34%
Seattle 116 37.66%
Voters: 308. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2011, 03:27 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,500,336 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by orzo View Post
Sorry, but Downtown Atlanta isn't close to Seattle when it comes to Vibrancy, foot traffic, nightlife, amenities, etc. And if you're going to include Midtown Atlanta then you have to include neighborhoods like Capitol Hill, Queen Anne, and South Lake Union - in which case Seattle clearly wins.

In terms of historical architecture, it is true that Seattle is lacking for the most part- but Pioneer Square is a decent sized district in downtown and it has great historical architecture, brick buildings. An oversized Charlotte, really? That makes you lose credibility.

Overall, I agree Philly wins this one, but let's not go overboard in slamming Seattle.
Have you been to Charlotte lately? Their DT has come a LONG way in just the last 5 years including light rail about 1/2 that of Seattle. Major major overhaul. You have a ton of people from NYC/Chicago/Cleveland etc that have relocated there and it has transformed significantly. Charlotte is yuppie central, maybe as many as Seattle! Don't be so quick to bash Charlotte. Charlotte is the #2 banking center in the U.S. What is Seattle #2 at? I think Portland even bests them in coffee these days so I will give them #2 in coffee. So yes, I'd say Seattle reminds me of a larger Charlotte, they have similarities certainly of the categories of what I said. Of course Seattle is better than Charlotte, no questions asked... but no more so than the gap of Philadelphia over Seattle, hence my selection of Charlotte to bring the comparison.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2011, 03:30 PM

Location: NY-NJ-Philly looks down at SF and laughs at the hippies
1,144 posts, read 1,295,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
Have you been to Charlotte lately? Their DT has come a LONG way in just the last 5 years including light rail about 1/2 that of Seattle. Don't be so quick to bash Charlotte. Charlotte is the #2 banking center in the U.S. What is Seattle #2 at? I think Portland even bests them in coffee these days so I will give them #2 in coffee.
I believe Seattle is #1 in most coffee consumed still, #2 in most hippies per capita by tourists reports.

Old 11-15-2011, 03:43 PM

2,471 posts, read 4,016,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gateway Region View Post
I believe Seattle is #1 in most coffee consumed still, #2 in most hippies per capita by tourists reports.
why in the world are you so obsessed with hippies? Every other post you somehow manage a way to tie in hippies. it's old. it's tired. i'm personally sick of it. Also your bombastic posts in which you claim downtown Seattle is terrible just make you look like a fool, as it's clearly one of the best in the country. It certainly does not help your position.

Also despite what your current location says, I would be willing to be my life that you are not in Seattle right now.

Old 11-15-2011, 03:49 PM

1,213 posts, read 3,607,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillies2011 View Post
why in the world are you so obsessed with hippies? Every other post you somehow manage a way to tie in hippies. it's old. it's tired. i'm personally sick of it. Also your bombastic posts in which you claim downtown Seattle is terrible just make you look like a fool, as it's clearly one of the best in the country. It certainly does not help your position.

Also despite what your current location says, I would be willing to be my life that you are not in Seattle right now.
THANK YOU!!

In my opinion, Philadelphia has the better downtown, but that by no means implies that Seattle is terrible or not worthy of a visit. Seattle has one of the best downtowns in the country, probably the best of any city west of Chicago excluding San Francisco.

Old 11-15-2011, 03:50 PM

Location: NY-NJ-Philly looks down at SF and laughs at the hippies
1,144 posts, read 1,295,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillies2011 View Post
why in the world are you so obsessed with hippies? Every other post you somehow manage a way to tie in hippies. .
Because Seattle is filled with them.

Quote:
it's old. it's tired. i'm personally sick of it.
Why would I care?

Quote:
Also your bombastic posts in which you claim downtown Seattle is terrible just make you look like a fool, as it's clearly one of the best in the country. It certainly does not help your position.
Not even top 10 in my book

Quote:
Also despite what your current location says, I would be willing to bet my life that you are not in Seattle right now.
You are correct, I left last week and forgot to change it. Let me do that now.

Old 11-15-2011, 03:57 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,559,571 times
Irrelevant hippie-bashing is thread-jacking.

Old 11-15-2011, 04:08 PM

2,330 posts, read 3,809,098 times
I would rather live in a city that is full of hippies than a city that is full of people who hate hippies. It is unhealthy to be around that kind of negative energy.

Old 11-15-2011, 04:24 PM

443 posts, read 877,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm02 View Post
We checked out many cities before deciding where to re-locate earlier this year, Seattle and Philly among them. We chose Philly, which to some folks will make me a homer before I write anything further. Despite the trash talk one or two Philly posters is hurling here, Seattle is an interesting city in a beautiful setting, but just didn't have what we were looking for. We were primarily looking for a dense, vibrant and walkable DT. We found Philly met this requirement heads and tails above Seattle.
I agree Philly wins in that department, but Seattle definitely has a dense, vibrant and walkable DT with multiple districts. Not on the level of SF, Philly, Boston, or Chicago - but it is definitely busy and walkable.

Old 11-15-2011, 04:27 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,559,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewcifer View Post
I would rather live in a city that is full of hippies than a city that is full of people who hate hippies. It is unhealthy to be around that kind of negative energy.
Precisely. Its like, bad karma.

Old 11-15-2011, 04:30 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,695,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gateway Region View Post
Because Seattle is filled with them.

Why would I care?

Not even top 10 in my book

You are correct, I left last week and forgot to change it. Let me do that now.
Your hippie talk is actually getting kind of annoying. Mainly because you seem not to know what you are talking about. Ther're hippies everywhere.

As for the thread topic, I don't get how Philly can be SO far ahead of Seattle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City