Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2011, 01:12 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,166,939 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
I look at these list all the time and I know for a fact the CW list is bogus as ever. The DC Chamber of Commerce has a list that says it is well over 100 million. I don't think DC has caught Chicago yet but Tysons Corner has 30 million square feet of space and that's a suburb.
It makes one wonder what Tyson would think of his corner if he saw it today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2011, 01:36 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,943,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
On the whole the middle (GE) make most sense (am sure some areas maybe not so) but the link from CW had great detail on districts.

Like everything else it is all perspective, For example just grabing two cities from one of the lists, ATL includes DT/MT/BH while the same list only includes ME and MW for Philly yest closer CBDs like U City, Cala/City Line/CH are not included in the Philly. There will always be quible regardless of which list is used.

On DT space my gut and experience tell me it is NYC top then Chicago and DC are close as next the next set is more a crap shoot withj places like SF and Boston likely next then Houston/Philly/DFW/Seattle for CBD. Seattle is nother that can be quibbled as it includes space in the CBD and a few other hoods etc on one of them where it reaches more than 50 etc.

So short answer is none are perfect

Edit - throw LA in with the Houton group
Fair enough
Quote:
I look at these list all the time and I know for a fact the CW list is bogus as ever. The DC Chamber of Commerce has a list that says it is well over 100 million. I don't think DC has caught Chicago yet but Tysons Corner has 30 million square feet of space and that's a suburb.
I too think it is over 100M. My major problem with Colliers was that they had some cities really high. Notably ( DC, SF, ATL and Seattle). The rest of the Colliers list was fine.

Cushman Low balled DC, but seemed to be more up to date in other cities.

Does anyone know how they decide which districts are joined? Some of them like those in Philly and DC are a no brainer, But areas like Midtown ATL and Uptown DFW, how do they decide which ones are in and which are out???

Old 12-01-2011, 01:40 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,910,924 times
Quote:
Why did you mention Chicago? I didn't disagree with anything you posted?

Fair enough, you had mentioned the comparison to Chicago then referenced Tysons

Old 12-01-2011, 01:41 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,910,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
It makes one wonder what Tyson would think of his corner if he saw it today.

Is Koons Ford still on Leesburg pike, think it was accross from the container store

Old 12-01-2011, 03:14 PM

2,904 posts, read 6,915,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackOut View Post
LOL... Here's the link:
C&W MarketBeat Series 3Q11
Gotcha. It's obvious that their "CBD" is very conservative. So how come you only divided DC? Doing that makes the list highly misleading.

Old 12-01-2011, 03:21 PM

2,904 posts, read 6,915,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
you are not often shy with your opinion, just by looking at the numbers which list appears closer to your perception.

For example your perception has DC at 100M there is only one list that has DC close to that. Do you think DC is bigger than Chicago (Colliers), Close to Chicago but about 20M sq feet less (Grubb Ellis) or is it somewhere between Cleveland and Dallas (Cushman Wakefield)

Do you think ATL is bigger than Philly and SF or about the size of Portland and Detroit??
Actually all the publications have DC over 100MM.

Even the CW list.
http://www.cushwake.com/cwmbs3q11/pd...tondc_3q11.pdf

The poster earlier decided to only count DC's CBD according to that report, while not bothering with other major cities. To be realistic, Chicago is probably #2. I'd put DC at #3.

Old 12-01-2011, 03:56 PM

1,588 posts, read 4,062,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by decafdave View Post

Even the CW list.

The poster earlier decided to only count DC's CBD according to that report, while not bothering with other major cities. To be realistic, Chicago is probably #2. I'd put DC at #3.
No, I posted numbers associated with CBD for every city.

Old 12-01-2011, 04:11 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,943,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by decafdave View Post

Even the CW list.

Oh okay. 104M sounds like a good deal for DC then. That is really close to the GE list which had DC at 107M

Old 12-01-2011, 04:32 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,751,203 times
Quote:
Why did you mention Chicago? I didn't disagree with anything you posted?
Never fails with KidPhilly. I don't understand what his problem is. He will always post negative things to compete or discredit Anything relating to DC.

Old 12-01-2011, 05:34 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,116,346 times
Most of us who have actually traveled to most of these cities could guess pretty well the top cities in the US......the eyeball test says:

NYC
Chicago
DC
San Francisco

the next ones, I would have guessed without seeing any data;
Boston, Houston, Atlanta, LA, Philly, DFW
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City