Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2012, 10:43 AM

771 posts, read 1,396,076 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler87 View Post
Wisconsin Dells is that bad? Every time I am in the Madison area I always ask about that and the locals always rave about it.
Wisconsin Dells is fun, and really you can just lump the Dells as if they are one park. There a quite a few different theme parks/water parks. Some of them awful some of them really good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2012, 03:57 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,904,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallaz View Post
Oh, I've never heard of that.
Bout time Dallas get's their OWN sh*t....

Old 01-02-2012, 04:08 PM

1,704 posts, read 3,443,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChikidII View Post
Wisconsin Dells is fun, and really you can just lump the Dells as if they are one park. There a quite a few different theme parks/water parks. Some of them awful some of them really good.
The only actual amusement park in the Dells is Mt. Olympus, which is SO AWFUL. The thread is about amusement parks, not waterparks, so that's what I meant. There are a lot of fantastic waterparks in the Dells, but it's not a good place to go for traditional amusement parks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChikidII
I wouldn't really call Gurnee a Chicago suburb, it's more like an exurb. It's like saying Kenosha is a suburb of Milwaukee.

Six Flags Great America is 45 minutes from Chicago, 50 from Milwaukee, I think its safe that the park serves both cities well. If you live in the south suburbs of Milwaukee you are MUCH closer to Great America than someone who lives in the south or southwest suburbs of Chicago.
I can live with that. But I do think Gurnee is close enough to Libertyville to count as a Chicago suburb.

Old 01-03-2012, 09:15 PM

1,795 posts, read 3,167,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Didnt Disney just launch a Disney Hawaii?

Honestly though I am not sure it would be in Disneys best interest to expand. Unlike many other theme parks they mostly rely on out of town travelers and this would increase their competition with Orlando and Anaheim to lessor extent.

Maybe a Disney in Cancun or something would make more sense
They could, but if Disney ever decide to build a theme park in Texas it should go to San Antonio. But on the bright side Texas will be seeing the magic once Disney rolls there cruise lines through Galveston this year.

Old 01-03-2012, 09:23 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,925,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoninATX View Post
They could, but if Disney ever decide to build a theme park in Texas it should go to San Antonio. But on the bright side Texas will be seeing the magic once Disney rolls there cruise lines through Galveston this year.

Doesn't Disney already do cruises out of Miami, LA, NYC, Baltimore, and Philadelphia?

SA does not have an airport infrastructure to handle a Disney park; just dont see another one, competition is already tight in Orlando among the numerous venues to attract visitors.

Old 01-04-2012, 10:42 AM

7,076 posts, read 12,348,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
Carowinds in Charlotte (also cedar fair park) has Nightwawk (a flying coaster). Awesome ride, but my car keys are still in tht pond somehwere!
Lost a cell phone in that same pond. Still though, these two are my favorites at Carowinds.

Afterburn Front Seat (HD POV) Carowinds Carolina Roller Coaster - YouTube

Intimidator Front Seat on-ride POV Carowinds - YouTube

^^^Believe it or not, Intimidator (both the one at Carowinds and Kings Dominion) were both rated (by some publications) as two of the top ten coasters in the country.

Intimidator, Carowinds
Charlotte
"Pedestal-style seats have thrill-seekers leaning back with their feet off the floor. "It's like riding in an out-of-control easy chair," Ruben says of this brand-new steel coaster that reaches speeds of 80 mph. "Anything that makes the rider feel more vulnerable is good. It enhances the sense of imagined danger"

Intimidator 305, Kings Dominion
Doswell, Va.
"NASCAR legend Dale Earnhardt inspired this steel coaster, which boasts an "incredibly high" average speed of 68 mph, nearly double the pace of most rides, and faster than traffic can legally travel on adjacent Interstate 95, Ruben says. It starts with a drop from a 305-foot hill. "I counted six moments of air and several way-too-fast turns," he adds."

10 great places to thrill to a roller coaster - USATODAY.com

Old 01-07-2012, 10:43 PM

6 posts, read 17,419 times
Being an Orlando resident, I love DisneyWorld, but I actually just end up walking around, enjoying the scenery and park landmarks and the awesome restaurants. Between Universal/IoA, Disney, and SeaWorld, there are a fair amount of roller coasters, but it kind of sucks that they're not all in one place like Magic Mountain or Cedar Pointe. There has been discussion lately about approving "Orlando Thrill Park" which last I saw, were 14 "thrill rides". I use quotations because I wasn't impressed. If they're going to do a thrill park, it needs to include at least 3 full-on steel roller coasters and one really solid wooden one. What's being proposed now just looks depressing and cheesy.

I would really love to see Disney build an entirely new park based around the Marvel characters they now own, catered to the 15-40 age group.

Old 07-14-2012, 02:25 AM

6,083 posts, read 10,704,020 times
I just found out that there is a amusement park in Glenwood Springs, CO called Glenwood Caverns Adventure Park. They just opened the highest elevated rollercoaster in may (i believe). Theres also this scary looking swing ride that swings you over the mountain. Pretty cool imo.

Old 07-14-2012, 07:01 AM

3 posts, read 1,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steel03 View Post
Might as well include the other Herschend parks:
Silver Dollar City (Branson, MO)
Elitch Gardens (Denver, CO)
Darien Lake (Buffalo and Rochester, NY)

And the KEC parks:
Kennywood (Pittsburgh, PA)
Idlewild (Pittsburgh/southwestern PA)
Lake Compounce (Hartford, CT)

And then of course there's Legoland in San Diego and now Orlando.

Roller Coaster DataBase is by far the best resource for amusement park research.
And here's a map of major amusement parks in the US. Most of Mexico's parks are in and around Mexico City, and the major Canada parks are Playland in Vancouver, Canada's Wonderland in Toronto, and La Ronde in Montreal.

I talked a little in the Disney thread about why some areas (read: the northeast) are flooded with amusement parks and others aren't (most of the South, and obviously most of Mountain Time).

So here's my list of cities I'd love to see get a good amusement park (I know some of these already have small parks):
Seattle, WA
Portland, OR
Boise, ID
Phoenix, AZ
Albuquerque or Santa Fe, NM
Houston, TX
New Orleans, LA
Omaha, NE
Rapid City or Hill City, SD (I have a feeling an amusement park would be really profitable in the Black Hills if they put any effort into it)
Memphis, TN
Louisville, KY (hopefully SFKK will make a comeback and not be terrible anymore when it reopens)
Miami, FL
Columbus, OH
Madison or Milwaukee, WI (they need something outside of the Dells other than sketchy Little Amerricka)
And in Canada, Vancouver needs something better, Calgary, Winnipeg, and Quebec City need SOMETHING, and a big park in the Maritimes would be cool.
Calgary has Calaway Park: Calaway Park - Calgary, Alberta - Western Canada's Largest Amusement Theme Park and Campground

Old 07-14-2012, 08:14 PM

189 posts, read 400,029 times
I think Sea World Ohio needs to be rebuilt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City