Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Capital of Hispanic America?
Dallas 4 1.70%
Denver 4 1.70%
Houston 16 6.81%
LA 109 46.38%
Miami 115 48.94%
San Antonio 25 10.64%
San Diego 10 4.26%
Other 18 7.66%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 235. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2023, 12:43 PM

4,344 posts, read 2,801,951 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweethomeSanAntonio View Post
Lmao? Spaniard was listed as a hispanic ancestry group and has actual totals for community size. I don't see what is so amusing with my post?
It may be the touch of delusion.
That is usually endearing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2023, 12:55 PM

2,744 posts, read 6,108,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post
It may be the touch of delusion.
That is usually endearing.
Will I guess delusion is a two way street. Hah!

Old 06-26-2023, 02:13 PM

8,323 posts, read 5,481,561 times
Quote:
Lmao? Spaniard was listed as a hispanic ancestry group and has actual totals for community size. I don't see what is so amusing about my post?
Im sorry but it just so factually wrong.

San Antonio does not have anywhere near the diversity Houston has in terms of its Hispanic population. Not just per capita but in total either. How does San Antonio having 4,000 more people of Spainards ancestry make up for Houston having multiples more of Central and South Americans????

Old 06-26-2023, 02:25 PM

Quote:
San Antonio's hispanic population is just as diverse as Houston's. The only difference is that Houston has a huge Central American Hispanic population, outside that group it isn't much different than San Antonio's hispanic population. San Antonio has a larger Puerto Rican and Spaniard community than that of Houston, and the other hispanic communities aren't all that smaller as far as community population size.

Houston does have a larger foreign born hispanic population, but San Antonio's is farily large and relative to its size as it does rank amongst the top 10 hispanic markets for this metric.

Cities like Albuquerque and Tucson do not rank anywhere near the top ten, and only have a fraction of the size of San Antonio's foreign born population. Those cities are much smaller and not in the same tier and hispanic population is not as diverse. Bigger cities tend to be more diverse in general.

Houston, San Antonio, as well as all Texas, has one large hispanic group, and all the other hispanic ancestry groups have a much smaller presence.

My salient point is that a city should be labeled as diverse if every ancestry group is represented in said city regardless if that diverse population is big or small or in between. I don't think the level of diversity should only be measured quantitatively. A big diverse population and a small diverse population are both diverse.

In short, Houston's hispanic population is not necessarily more diverse, but it is more apparent simply because a majority of its hispanic groups are bigger in numbers. That is usually the case when a city is considerably larger it is going to have more of everything.

Last edited by SweethomeSanAntonio; 06-26-2023 at 03:18 PM..

Old 06-26-2023, 02:41 PM

Quote:
My salient point is that a city should be labeled as diverse if every ancestry group is represented in said city regardless if that diverse population is big or small. I don't think the level of diversity should only be measured quantitatively.
That's like saying if you have a city of 100,000 people of which 5 are black, 5 are Hispanic, 5 are Asian, and 5 are gay that it should count being as diverse as NYC.

I can get behind using per capita stats but simply saying, "because one person is there, its the same as having 100 people there" isn't going to fly very high with diversity based statisticians and demographers.

Old 06-26-2023, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
That's like saying if you have a city of 100,000 people of which 5 are black, 5 are Hispanic, 5 are Asian, and 5 are gay that it should count being as diverse as NYC.

I can get behind using per capita stats but simply saying, "because one person is there, its the same as having 100 people there" isn't going to fly very high with diversity based statisticians and demographers.

That is true but we are comparing large metro area totals and not a miniscule amount for like a classroom. There has to be a limit or threshhold for it to be considered or worth comparing.

Houston and San Antonio do not pale in comparison with each other when comparing hispanic population groups other than the Central American ancestry group, where Houston's totals dwarf San Antonio's.

All the other hispanic groups for Houston, SA, Dallas and Austin, the population totals are all closer in size. The groups range in the thousands, and the low ten thousands, and not in the tens of thousands or higher.

This is where all the other big Texas cities hispanic ancestry groups are similar in size, and the diffrences are not that great.

Old 06-27-2023, 06:50 AM

Quote:
That is true but we are comparing large metro area totals and not a miniscule amount for like a classroom. There has to be a limit or threshhold for it to be considered or worth comparing.

Houston and San Antonio do not pale in comparison with each other when comparing hispanic population groups other than the Central American ancestry group, where Houston's totals dwarf San Antonio's.

All the other hispanic groups for Houston, SA, Dallas and Austin, the population totals are all closer in size. The groups range in the thousands, and the low ten thousands, and not in the tens of thousands or higher.

This is where all the other big Texas cities hispanic ancestry groups are similar in size, and the diffrences are not that great.
Central and South American, Houston dwarfs the others.

Old 06-28-2023, 12:10 PM

254 posts, read 113,971 times
Miami or either L.A

Old 07-31-2023, 02:22 PM

9,859 posts, read 6,570,632 times
Spending the day in Charlotte today. Living in Raleigh currently temporarily. The Hispanic presence in Charlotte feels much, much larger in Charlotte vs Raleigh. Especially in South Charlotte. Also surprisingly diverse Hispanic population.

Also the Hispanic food in Raleigh is horrible. I’m Charlotte, my experience is limited but the small sample size is impressive in comparison.

Old 07-31-2023, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
Spending the day in Charlotte today. Living in Raleigh currently temporarily. The Hispanic presence in Charlotte feels much, much larger in Charlotte vs Raleigh. Especially in South Charlotte. Also surprisingly diverse Hispanic population.

Also the Hispanic food in Raleigh is horrible. I’m Charlotte, my experience is limited but the small sample size is impressive in comparison.
The data backs this up. Charlotte is becoming the number one city in the Southeast (excluding Florida and NOVA) for immigration from Central America. This is especially true for Hondurans and Salvadorans. It will pass Atlanta's Central American population if trends hold.

Last time I was in Charlotte, two types of food existed en mass that I was not expecting: Honduran and Greek food. Both excellent too. Charlotte certainly isn't the discussion for a Latin America capital, but its pull for those cultures is pretty impressive too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City