Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: East vs. West
East 57 35.19%
West 87 53.70%
Neither 18 11.11%
Voters: 162. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2012, 05:46 PM

637 posts, read 1,015,245 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Persons Age 5+ who speak a language other than English, 2010 Census
Los Angeles-Long Beach-Riverside 50.4%
San Jose-San Francisco-Oakland 41.0%
New York-Newark-Bridgeport 36.4%
Boston-Worcester-Manchester 20.6%
Philadelphia-Camden-Vineland 15.1%

The majority of people in the Los Angeles CSA speak a foreign language.
Yes, Spanish IS a foreign language spoken by Mexicans, Salvadorians, and Guatemalans (IE: the majority of Los Angeles CSA's foreign born and population)

This thread is about minorities in general. Most Blacks in the US speak English (not just African American, but also those from Jamaica, Guyana, Trinidad and Tobago, Nigeria, etc.) , so they suddenly can't contribute to diversity or a new world view?

And again, given that LA has more 'minorities' than NYC in raw number and percentage, isn't it sorta sad that NYC has more high earning minorities in representation and in raw number than LA?

Sad..just sad.

Quote:
Foreign Born Population, 2010
Los Angeles-Long Beach-Riverside 30.9%
San Jose-San Francisco-Oakland 29.6%
New York-Newark-Bridgeport 26.7%
Boston-Worcester-Manchester 14.4%
Philadelphia-Camden-Worcester 9.4%
Puerto Ricans aren't counted as foreign born. If they were, it would probably beat out the Bay Area and possibly LA area.

I notice you're omitting DC from your statistics. Having trouble admitting that DC is on the East Coast? It's much closer to the coast than Philadelphia, but you have no problem adding it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2012, 05:49 PM

36,655 posts, read 67,506,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huge Foodie 215 View Post

This thread is about minorities in general. Most Blacks in the US...
Yes, I already talked about Blacks...

Employed Black Males Earning $100,000+ Annually
San Jose-San Francisco-Oakland 14.2%
Los Angeles-Long Beach-Riverside 11.4%
New York-Newark-Bridgeport 7.1%
Boston-Manchester-Worcester 6.3%
Philadelphia-Camden-Vineland 4.7%

Employed Black Females Earning $100,000+ Annually
San Jose-San Francisco-Oakland 8.4%
Los Angeles-Long Beach-Riverside 6.8%
Boston-Manchester-Worcester 5.5%
New York-Newark-Bridgeport 4.8%
Philadelphia-Camden-Vineland 3.3%

Median Full Time Earnings, Black Males
San Jose-San Francisco-Oakland $52,323
Los Angeles-Long Beach-Riverside $46,972
New York-Newark-Bridgeport $41,985
Boston-Worcester-Manchester $41,458
Philadelphia-Camden-Vineland $38,190

Median Full Time Earnings, Black Females
San Jose-San Francisco-Oakland $45,661
Los Angeles-Long Beach-Riverside $41,911
New York-Newark-Bridgeport $40,093
Boston-Worcester-Manchester $37,846
Philadelphia-Camden-Vineland $34,424

2010 US Census

LMAO

Old 04-24-2012, 05:51 PM

Once again, I would just like to thank Huge Foodie 215 for creating a thread where West Coast cites can showcase their strengths--your such a good friend to us.

lol

Old 04-24-2012, 05:55 PM

637 posts, read 1,015,245 times
Quote:
Once again, I would just like to thank Huge Foodie 215 for creating a thread where West Coast cites can showcase their strengths--your such a good friend to us.

lol
You didn't really address anything I've asked, like purposely omitting DC because you know DC destroys SF/LA on integration, just like NYC destroys SF/LA on diversity.

Plus, I didn't create this thread unless my name is "75 South"

Old 04-24-2012, 05:56 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,561,445 times
Quote:

2010 US Census

LMAO

Old 04-24-2012, 06:12 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,751,203 times
Quote:

2010 US Census

LMAO
Why didn't you add Washington DC?

Old 04-24-2012, 06:16 PM

1,211 posts, read 1,533,960 times
I have spent signficiant time both in the East and West Coast and can say without hesitation the West Coast.

NYC is the only city which comes close to the West Coast as a whole. And DC? Are you kidding me? Both the white and black people there are horrible and there is zero interaction aming them.

Old 04-24-2012, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Why didn't you add Washington DC?
Because I was reminded by Slyman11 that DC is technically in the South, which is correct according to the Census Bureau.

That's why.

Old 04-24-2012, 06:21 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,751,203 times
Quote:
Because I was reminded by Slyman11 that DC is technically in the South, which is correct according to the Census Bureau.

That's why.
O, was this for north and south or was this for megalopolis regions? The Bos-Was corridor is the only real megalopolis in the whole country. There is no west coast megalopolis.

Old 04-24-2012, 06:23 PM

6,914 posts, read 14,752,817 times
Why reply to Huge Foodie 215's nonsense and allow every thread to devolve into a flame war? He might be the instigator but we're just as bad if we encourage him to keep posting the same BS in every thread. Just ignore him and his 100 aliases and eventually he'll find something else to do.

Getting back on topic, statistics aside I've found that where you're most comfortable as a minority really depends on what you're accustomed to. If you're an upper class black person for example that's accustomed to living in wealthy neighborhoods that are majority black, I could see why a lot of the West Coast wouldn't necessarily look as appealing as PG County or outer Atlanta. While they certainly exist (see the SE Oakland Hills and Baldwin Hills in LA for example) it's definitely not to the extent that's seen in the DC metro.

On the other hand, if you're a wealthy black person and want to live in a diverse neighborhood then I'd say you couldn't do much better than the East Bay... the East Bay is socioeconomically segregated, but outside of old money communities like Piedmont and Orinda, if you have the $ you can live wherever and you'll fit right in.

If you're a working class black person and want to live in a diverse neighborhood then I'd definitely pick the Bay before just about anywhere else in the country... I've witnessed little to none of the racial tension I've seen between socioeconomically-similar racial groups in other cities, particularly those in the midwest. If you want to live in a predominantly black working class community, however, The Bay is one of the last places I'd recommend... outside of the East Bay there is no real significant black middle and upper class presence in the Bay, and that completely changes the dynamics of living in a poor black neighborhood. There is very little in the way of inter-socioeconomic interaction in places like Hunters Point and EPA and etc. (when talking about blacks) and that makes life in these areas a LOT worse than it would be if there was a more monied population who was involved in the greater community. Despite popular belief, it is for this reason that poorer blacks in SF have it significantly worse than poorer blacks in Oakland... there is no money being invested into building up the infrastructure of SF's black community because there are no investors. Oakland on the other hand has a much stronger black community, and that is in large part because there is a strong foundation.

As for the middle class, the reality is that in California all middle class people are being squeezed out. Oakland is arguably one of two California cities left (the other being Sacramento) that can say that its middle class is its foundation, and at the heart of its middle class population is its black population. For the past 50 years, they've been the lifeblood of the city economically, culturally and politically. In the past 5 years, however, that has been rapidly changing, namely because of the housing crisis. More than any other time in Oakland and urban California's history, middle class people are being pushed out and wealthier urbanites are moving in. Unsurprisingly, the vast majority of the people who are leaving Oakland are those who once comprised its large black middle class. Unfortunately, this is also very rapidly becoming the reality in the East Coast... much like their west coast counterparts, middle class black people are leaving DC and NYC in droves for greener pastures in the South.

IMO, the OP's question is too simple... there's a lot that goes into the question, socio-economic class easily being one of the biggest deciding factors. It also varies a lot depending on who we're talking about... the best place for a middle class asian person is not necessarily the best place for a middle class black person and etc. I can really only speak on what it's like for blacks in the US, and that is mainly because I've been around and have family all throughout the country. I'm very familiar with how it is for asians and latinos in CA but outside of CA I don't know much about their experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City