Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: East vs. West
East 57 35.19%
West 87 53.70%
Neither 18 11.11%
Voters: 162. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2012, 08:52 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,858,983 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howest2008 View Post
I'm talking about normal people not gangbangers and gangsters or
people that live on the fringes of society...they aren't segregated
like prison inmates or California street gangs
Seriously.

Using episodes of a show about gangs as an indicator of the overall social climate of a place is absurd.

The average person in LA has nothing to do with these gangs and doesn't live in a neighborhood where gangs are an issue.

And FWIW, I lived in 18th St territory, and then after that, moved to disputed V13/Shorline Crips territory in Venice, and it never affected my life.

Quote:
Asian have been oppressed just like blacks in America , crack a history book will you,,,.
why do think that asian built asian communities throughout the United States.Asian were
falsely imprisoned during WW2 and Asian in the Bay Area still are treated like Minorities.
Everything you said is 100% true though I'll take exception to the bolded, to an extent.

There are some towns in the Bay Area (Daly City, Fremont, for example) where Asians are either over 50% of the populace, or they make up near 50%, meaning that they are the dominant racial group there. For the most part, all over the Bay Area, Asians are treated just like anyone else, and have representation in politics and commerce.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2012, 08:59 PM

637 posts, read 1,015,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
I dont mind that he wishes to harp on Washington DC--that stat only refers to White people and that is its fatal flaw, and it certainly does NOT prove DC is more diverse than the bay area as it most certainly is NOT.

The city/metro/area in which Huge Foodie 215 lives is dominated by White people so he is only interested in where other races live relative to White people.

We dont have a White majority like the NY/Philly/DC CSAs so we are approaching this entire discussion from 2 different perspectives.

One that puts the white experience first(215) and those of us on the West Coast who dont give higher value to one race over another.
Except there aren't any statistics from the study I cited that has any statistics from non-White groups relative to each other. However, based on the Black-Hispanic relation out in the East vs. the hideous relations that Mexicans have with Blacks out West, I wouldn't be surprised if Washington DC and the rest of the East Coast does better than the West.

Already on the top, furthering the lead.

Unless you have those statistics, then...

Quote:
WOW, looks soooooooo much better than LA
You don't even know what you're looking at. None of those videos show any Latinos or Blacks killing each other. They show Latinos killing other Latinos, and Blacks killing other Blacks.

NYC: Not only safer than LA, but their gangs also mean more business than those kids out in LA

Quote:
I'm from the Northeast. I live in CA. I know much more what I am talking about than you do. Sorry.
Yes, even though the East Coast as a whole has 16 million more minorities than the West Coast, California wins.

Quote:
I'm talking about normal people not gangbangers and gangsters or
people that live on the fringes of society...they aren't segregated
like prison inmates or California street gangs
Except a huge chunk of Hispanic and Black youth IN LA are involved in some way or another in street gangs, so they do form a huge chunk of society.

Quote:
Asian have been oppressed just like blacks in America , crack a history book will you,,,.
why do think that asian built asian communities throughout the United States.Asian were
falsely imprisoned during WW2 and Asian in the Bay Area still are treated like Minorities.
No, the Asian experience in the United States is NOTHING like the Black experience in the US.

BTW: what's up with the Black population leaving California if it was so minority friendly?

Old 04-23-2012, 09:26 PM

1,605 posts, read 3,917,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huge Foodie 215 View Post
You mean this East Bay Area that DC is less segregated than if you aren't Black?

DC metro division segregation
Black-White: 64.1 (Rank 17)
Hispanic-White: 48.1 (Rank 21)
Asian-White: 36.5 (Rank 28)

Oakland Metro Division segregation
Black-White: 56.6 (Rank 29)
Hispanic-White: 48.3 (Rank 20)
Asian-White: 42.3 (Rank 14)
Yes, I meant that East Bay Area that is less segregated than DC if you are Black.

Quote:
Or do you mean the SF and LA, which greater metro areas pretty much make up a combined 1/2 of the West Coast's population.
Yes, those cities whose population probably consists of less than 1/2 of the current population being Cali natives. And when it is when one asks a question, they can leave out certain cities on one region, but not cities of the other. LA and SF proper may be crap for integration, but you can't just leave out SD, Sac-Town, and Sea-Tac in order to justify your argument.

Quote:
DC in the city may be segregated, but the suburban counties where almost everyone else lives are some of the most diverse integrated regions in the US, beating out every single area you just mentioned. Hence why DC metro division has lower segregation scores than Oakland.
I just said that Montgomery, Fairfax, Prince William, and Loudoun (Howard and Stafford if you really want to be greedy) are the only reason why DC is spared from the seething criticism of being amongst the "segregated city" that it deserves. And BTW, most people in my age demographic (twenty-something Gen-Y'ers) live in and near DC, and their racial attitudes on average makes your typical baby boomer look racially open-minded. In fact, most of the interracial couples I see within DC and inside the beltway are those who are at least in their late 30s.

And funny that NYC, Philly, Chicago can be analyzed by its city limits and be criticized for their segregation (as those cities should should) but the city of DC can escape being criticized by including its suburbs, as if those areas are part of the city?

Quote:
DC: the best of the south (IE: integrated black population and soon, everyone else) and northeast (diversity central in terms of ethnics)
More integrated than Hampton Roads? More integrated than Charlotte? More integrated than Houston?

I really find that hard to believe, especially if you're talking about DC proper.

Quote:
BTW: what's up with the Black population leaving California if it was so minority friendly?
Also BTW: What's up with the Black population leaving Washington DC proper if it was so minority friendly?

Old 04-23-2012, 09:31 PM

36,655 posts, read 67,506,468 times
That's right. We can only go by where people live and based on that we know that the Bay Area is unparalleled when it comes to Blacks, Hispanics and Asians living in close proximity to each other, especially the East Bay.

Old 04-23-2012, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Fairfaxian View Post
Yes, I meant that East Bay Area that is less segregated than DC if you are Black.
But even less so if you are Asian and Hispanic, two VERY LARGE groups in the East Bay.

Quote:
Yes, those cities whose population probably consists of less than 1/2 of the current population being Cali natives. And when it is when one asks a question, they can leave out certain cities on one region, but not cities of the other. LA and SF proper may be crap for integration, but you can't just leave out SD, Sac-Town, and Sea-Tac in order to justify your argument.
Because LA and SF overwhelmingly DOMINATE the West Coast.

LA Area: 17 million
Bay Area: 7.5 million
Combined: 24.5 million
West Coast population (CA, OR, WA): 49 million

50% of the West Coast lives in LA and SF. Nowhere does 50% of the East Coast live in or around NYC, Philadelphia, or Boston.

Quote:
I just said that Montgomery, Fairfax, Prince William, and Loudoun (Howard and Stafford if you really want to be greedy) are the only reason why DC is spared from the seething criticism of being amongst the "segregated city" that it deserves. And BTW, most people in my age demographic (twenty-something Gen-Y'ers) live in and near DC, and their racial attitudes on average makes your typical baby boomer look racially open-minded. In fact, most of the interracial couples I see within DC and inside the beltway are those who are at least in their late 30s.
The DC area (without Baltimore) is around 5.5 million people, of which only 617,000 live in Washington DC itself. You can't characterize all of the DC area (which is what most measurements go by) by only a small area and really small subset of the population.

I found the kids who grew up in the DC area to be very open minded and open to interracial relationships. I'm sure the statistics will back me up on that one.

Quote:
And funny that NYC, Philly, Chicago can be analyzed by its city limits and be criticized for their segregation (as those cities should should) but the city of DC can escape being criticized by including its suburbs, as if those areas are part of the city?
Because Philadelphia and Chicago make up at least 1/3 of their metro population, unlike DC. NYC is way less segregated than LA, and has way more minority interaction than anywhere in California. Have you been to Queens lately?

Quote:
More integrated than Hampton Roads? More integrated than Charlotte? More integrated than Houston?
Maybe not, but its sure as hell way more integrated than the West Coast. The statistics prove it.

Quote:
Also BTW: What's up with the Black population leaving Washington DC proper if it was so minority friendly?
They're moving to other areas within the metro area, unlike Blacks generally leaving the WHOLE STATE of California. They aren't leaving 10-20 miles away, they're going hundreds and hundreds of miles away.

Old 04-23-2012, 11:19 PM

422 posts, read 815,722 times
Apologies for the mispelled heading and vagueness in the megalopolis definition.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Megalopolis_(city_type)

When I mentioned megalopolis, I had the following regions in mind along each coast:
Northeast corridor
Northern California
Piedmont Atlantic
Pacific Northwest
Southern California

*I should have said mega regions along the coast instead or even included the Texas Triangle.

Old 04-24-2012, 12:26 AM

9,828 posts, read 9,414,249 times
Quote:
No, the thread is called "East coast vs. West coast megalopolis more accepting go minorities?" meaning every state that touches the East Coast vs. Every State that touches the West Coast

And even if it's just the Northeast, Washington DC and environs are part of Bos-Wash, and its development is going northwards. Are you going to admit or deny that?

Anyways, here you go:

http://www.census.gov/prod/cen2010/b...c2010br-02.pdf

East Coast Minorities (ME, VT, NH, MA, RI, CT, NY, PA, NJ, DE, MD, DC, VA, NC, SC, GA, FL): 40,607,188
West Coast Minorities (CA, OR, WA): 24,970,665

The East Coast has 16 million MORE minorities than the West Coast, and I think they are all doing fine
!
My God, the East Coast Voltron keeps getting bigger and bigger and bigger. By the time we get to the next WC vs EC thread ("Which region does the best fist bumps?") Guam, Puerto Rico, England, Spain, Atlantis, Greenland, and Neptune will all be part of this awesome juggernaut. We must put California in its place!!!

Btw, your Voltron is home to 107.6 million people--despite having' 16 million MORE minorities' it's a significantly less diverse region compared to the West Coast, where over half the residents (25 out of 48 million) are minorities! Spectacular.

Old 04-24-2012, 02:29 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,937,981 times
Asians have never been discriminated against, and are basically White? themoreyouknow I guess.

Old 04-24-2012, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
My God, the East Coast Voltron keeps getting bigger and bigger and bigger. By the time we get to the next WC vs EC thread ("Which region does the best fist bumps?") Guam, Puerto Rico, England, Spain, Atlantis, Greenland, and Neptune will all be part of this awesome juggernaut. We must put California in its place!!!

Btw, your Voltron is home to 107.6 million people--despite having' 16 million MORE minorities' it's a significantly less diverse region compared to the West Coast, where over half the residents (25 out of 48 million) are minorities! Spectacular.
So those states aren't touching the Atlantic Coast, or in the cases of PA, VT, NH, haven't been traditionally considered part of the East Coast? So a state like FLORIDA, with the longest coastline on the Atlantic, isn't part of the East Coast?

Whatever helps you get through the day

Anyways, the East not only has more minorities than the West (something to the tune of 16 million more minorities, or nearly TWICE as many as the West Coast), but is more integrated and more diverse.

Old 04-24-2012, 01:34 PM

36,655 posts, read 67,506,468 times
Quote:

Anyways, the East not only has more minorities than the West (something to the tune of 16 million more minorities, or nearly TWICE as many as the West Coast), but is more integrated and more diverse.
No, New York is diverse(although not more so than the Bay Area), but the rest of the Northeast is dreadfully UNdiverse. Philadelphia and Boston are two of the Whitest CSAs in the country.

lol

I love your enthusiasm tho.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City