Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: East vs. West
East 57 35.19%
West 87 53.70%
Neither 18 11.11%
Voters: 162. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2012, 07:47 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,863,416 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huge Foodie 215 View Post
Already posted VIDEO proof that it has happened. Yes, Mexican gangsters have killed innocent Black people in Los Angeles, and you've admitted that a member of one racial group has killed a member of another racial group in Southern California. Did you or did you not?
I sure did.

I would be shocked within an inch of my life to find out that NYC hasn't had a few nuts from any of its many ethnic groups go nutso and shoot someone who wasn't from that ethnic group and any direction. I can guarantee you that NYC has suffered the same cross-racial murders that LA has.

There's no place that's a racial utopia - utopia is a myth. But, LA is closer to being one than most other places, up to and including NYC (yes, I just said that, and you can hold me to that all you want). The West as a region is absolutely more integrated than anywhere else as a region in the US (and you can hold me to that all you want); I've been around the country, I've lived around the country, and I have much more of a perspective on this than you do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2012, 08:02 PM

637 posts, read 1,015,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
I sure did.

I would be shocked within an inch of my life to find out that NYC hasn't had a few nuts from any of its many ethnic groups go nutso and shoot someone who wasn't from that ethnic group and any direction. I can guarantee you that NYC has suffered the same cross-racial murders that LA has.
Well, until statistics have been compiled on what has gone on, I can't answer to any certainty of whether or not LA has worse racial relations than NYC. Since I was the only person who presented such statistics, I believe that the default answer will go to the side that LA is worse than NYC.

Quote:
There's no place that's a racial utopia - utopia is a myth. But, LA is closer to being one than most other places, up to and including NYC (yes, I just said that, and you can hold me to that all you want). The West as a region is absolutely more integrated than anywhere else as a region in the US (and you can hold me to that all you want); I've been around the country, I've lived around the country, and I have much more of a perspective on this than you do.
Except Houston, Dallas, Atlanta, Miami, Washington DC, etc. etc.

How can you possible prove this? Has a study been done like the one I just cited?

Look at the people who voted for the East: at least two are from Texas, and another one isn't from the Northeast. However, the vast majority of those voting for the West are from California.

Old 04-23-2012, 08:14 PM

10,400 posts, read 15,583,593 times
Quote:
Already posted VIDEO proof that it has happened. Yes, Mexican gangsters have killed innocent Black people in Los Angeles, and you've admitted that a member of one racial group has killed a member of another racial group in Southern California. Did you or did you not?

Do you have proof? No? You don't? That was easy

And Washington DC isn't on the East Coast? Have you ever looked at a map before? LOL! You're right, a city 30 miles from Chesapeake Bay, a direct water inlet to the Atlantic Ocean, isn't the East Coast.

In case you need a reminder:

Washington DC segregation
Black-White: 64.1 (Rank 17)
Hispanic-White: 48.1 (Rank 21)
Asian-White: 36.5 (Rank 28)

Los Angeles segregation
Black-White: 65.0 (Rank 14)
Hispanic-White: 63.4 (Rank 1)
Asian-White: 47.6 (Rank 4)

Oakland segregation
Black-White: 56.6 (Rank 29)
Hispanic-White: 48.3 (Rank 20)
Asian-White: 42.3 (Rank 14)

Washington DC is a part of the Southeast "Not" the Northeast 'so we are"
comparing the West Coast to the Northeast....

Old 04-23-2012, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howest2008 View Post
No, the thread is called "East coast vs. West coast megalopolis more accepting go minorities?" meaning every state that touches the East Coast vs. Every State that touches the West Coast

And even if it's just the Northeast, Washington DC and environs are part of Bos-Wash, and its development is going northwards. Are you going to admit or deny that?

Anyways, here you go:

http://www.census.gov/prod/cen2010/b...c2010br-02.pdf

East Coast Minorities (ME, VT, NH, MA, RI, CT, NY, PA, NJ, DE, MD, DC, VA, NC, SC, GA, FL): 40,607,188
West Coast Minorities (CA, OR, WA): 24,970,665

The East Coast has 16 million MORE minorities than the West Coast, and I think they are all doing fine!

Last edited by Huge Foodie 215; 04-23-2012 at 08:47 PM..

Old 04-23-2012, 08:22 PM

36,659 posts, read 67,526,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howest2008 View Post
I dont mind that he wishes to harp on Washington DC--that stat only refers to White people and that is its fatal flaw, and it certainly does NOT prove DC is more diverse than the bay area as it most certainly is NOT.

The city/metro/area in which Huge Foodie 215 lives is dominated by White people so he is only interested in where other races live relative to White people.

We dont have a White majority like the NY/Philly/DC CSAs so we are approaching this entire discussion from 2 different perspectives.

One that puts the white experience first(215) and those of us on the West Coast who dont give higher value to one race over another.

Old 04-23-2012, 08:23 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,863,416 times
Quote:
Well, until statistics have been compiled on what has gone on, I can't answer to any certainty of whether or not LA has worse racial relations than NYC. Since I was the only person who presented such statistics, I believe that the default answer will go to the side that LA is worse than NYC.
Here you go. From the same serious you referenced :

Gangland - Kings Of New York - (Part 1/3) - YouTube

Gangland - Kings of New York - (Part 2/3) - YouTube

Gangland - Kings of New York - (Part 3/3) - YouTube

Gangland - Blood Oath - (Part 1/3) - YouTube

Gangland - Blood Oath - (Part 2/3) - YouTube

Gangland - Blood Oath - (Part 3/3) - YouTube

WOW, looks soooooooo much better than LA

Quote:
Except Houston, Dallas, Atlanta, Miami, Washington DC, etc. etc.

How can you possible prove this? Has a study been done like the one I just cited?

Look at the people who voted for the East: at least two are from Texas and another one isn't from the Northeast.
I disagree with them.

Furthermore, the West Coast is still winning by (currently) 12 points; in this case, over 100% the number of votes that the NE has. Sorry, you lose... again!

Quote:
However, the vast majority of those voting for the West are from California.
I'm from the Northeast. I live in CA. I know much more what I am talking about than you do. Sorry.

Old 04-23-2012, 08:24 PM

80 posts, read 146,076 times
This thread would be much more interesting if it were east coast and west coast.

The discussion of Boston, New York, Philadelphia, Baltimore, Washington DC, Atlanta and Miami would be much better than the Northeast vs California.

Old 04-23-2012, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Matrix Revolution View Post
This thread would be much more interesting if it were east coast and west coast.

The discussion of Boston, New York, Philadelphia, Baltimore, Washington DC, Atlanta and Miami would be much better than the Northeast vs California.
Yeah, I know...thats what this thread is about.

Here are the numbers for comparison:

http://www.census.gov/prod/cen2010/b...c2010br-02.pdf

East Coast Minorities (ME, VT, NH, MA, RI, CT, NY, PA, NJ, DE, MD, DC, VA, NC, SC, GA, FL): 40,607,188
West Coast Minorities (CA, OR, WA): 24,970,665

Don't mind all the California boosters, I actually want a good conversation

Last edited by Huge Foodie 215; 04-23-2012 at 08:47 PM.. Reason: Read off the wrong column!

Old 04-23-2012, 08:37 PM

36,659 posts, read 67,526,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 75 South View Post
Interracial couples
Households(Two or More Races), 2010 Census
California 592,084
Northeast 431,186

Old 04-23-2012, 08:43 PM

10,400 posts, read 15,583,593 times
Quote:
Compare the Asian experience to the Black or Hispanic experience in the United States. Please, Asian people are basically Whites nowadays. What discrimination do they face? What disadvantages are you talking about?

Have you seen the average Asian neighborhood vs. average Black/Hispanic neighborhood? When do the cops ever harass Asian people?

Statistically and categorically incorrect.

Tell Oscar Grant about the "acceptance of all minorities"
Tell Rodney King about the "more acceptance" from the LAPD?

Or why don't you tell gangbangers like this about your idea of segregation in California:

Gangland - Race Wars ( history channel ) Part 1/3 - YouTube (http:///watch?v=K83XsJew3kQ - broken link)

Gangland - Race Wars ( history channel ) Part 2/3 - YouTube (http:///watch?v=uUwnXRcRj0g&feature=relmfu - broken link)

Gangland Race Wars history channel Part 3/3 - YouTube (http:///watch?v=dWUSqifnz74&feature=relmfu - broken link)

You live in SoCal. You should visit the family of the little girl in Harbor Gateway and tell her about the "acceptance" that she experienced from the Mexicans.

You will never see a series like that written about NYC, Philadelphia, Chicago, DC, Houston, Miami, Atlanta, etc. etc.

Except I grew up in Queens and went to Francis Lewis HS: we have plenty of Hispanics and Asians here. I know you are in denial about that, but they don't just live in California anymore.
I'm talking about normal people not gangbangers and gangsters or
people that live on the fringes of society...they aren't segregated
like prison inmates or California street gangs

Asian have been oppressed just like blacks in America , crack a history book will you,,,.
why do think that asian built asian communities throughout the United States.Asian were
falsely imprisoned during WW2 and Asian in the Bay Area still are treated like Minorities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City