Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2012, 03:10 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,935,022 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huge Foodie 215 View Post
Bottom line is that when it comes to international recognition, people talk about SF in relation to LA, but never the other way around.

When people from abroad think about LA, they think about LA. When its about SF, they think about how DIFFERENT it is from LA.

Shows how unique SF really is

Bottom line is that SF should be nowhere NEAR the top 5 most international cities in the US. And that's not even hyperbole.
That's extreme hyperbole. Nowhere near the top 5?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2012, 06:50 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,043,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
That's extreme hyperbole. Nowhere near the top 5?
Poster seems to have something against SF.

Fact is, SF is one of the most recogniseable cities in the US to foreigners. In terms of name recognition alone, top 5.

Old 04-29-2012, 09:01 AM

37,127 posts, read 39,371,920 times
I wonder how much of a destination Chicago is for people abroad.

Old 04-29-2012, 09:18 AM

160 posts, read 311,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I wonder how much of a destination Chicago is for people abroad.

Source: http://tinet.ita.doc.gov/outreachpag...and_Cities.pdf

Old 04-29-2012, 09:35 AM

14,773 posts, read 21,492,504 times
Minneapolis-St Paul: largest population of Norwegian, Somali and Hmong Americans. Large convention center and a Mall of America attracting tourist from all over.

Duluth: port city, The great lakes largest port transporting Coal, Iron ore and Grain.

Rochester (MN): Home to the Mayo Clinic which is one of the best Hospitals around with people flying in from all over the world for different medical reasons

Minnesota is also a border state

Old 04-29-2012, 09:56 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,935,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aggrocrag View Post
Interesting.

Old 04-29-2012, 11:00 AM

37,127 posts, read 39,371,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aggrocrag View Post
Good link. Houston's actually a lot lower on the list than I expected. I understand that it's not much of a tourist destination, but I thought family and business visits would bring it up quite a bit more. I also noticed that these stats exclude our neighbors Canada and Mexico which would probably drastically change the stats for some of these places.

Old 04-29-2012, 02:03 PM

2,033 posts, read 1,983,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sofla951 View Post
True, but Miami already has regular cargo flights from Asia- Cathay Pacific and Korean Air- many times passenger flights follow- plus Asia has growing business ties to South America and there is also Orlando and other attractions that can fill seats. I wouldn't be surprised at all if Miami gets an Asian Flag carrier within the next two/three years- rumors are Tokyo Narita.
Cargo flights operate quite different from passenger operations. Cargo flights will stop at two differnt cities for cargo pick ups/drop offs before returning to their home base. I'm willing to bet that those Asain Cargo flights that land in Miami stopped at another US destination before landing in Miami. Anchorage, AK / Seattle, WA, etc.

Old 04-29-2012, 02:07 PM

2,033 posts, read 1,983,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justme02 View Post
I would break it down like this:

Cities that are definately top 10:

NYC
LA
Chicago
San Francisco
Washington DC
Boston
Houston
Miami

You can choose two of the following four to complete your list

Seattle
Dallas
Atlanta
Philly

While Las Vegas and Orlando receive tons of international visitors, the thread is about importance. Fun towns they are, but not importance isn't their thing.
I'm 100% in agreement with this list

Old 04-29-2012, 03:08 PM

233 posts, read 530,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
Galveston is part of the metro and it IS on the coast. Houston City limits actually touch the coast too. Plus there are at least 4 counties that touch the coast.

There is no too far about it. Houston is on the coast. Metro and City. Orlando and especially pittsburgh are crappy examples.The City of Orlando is what 45 miles from the coast, Houston's is ZERO!!!!!

Pittsburgh is no where near the coast but on a River
From downtown Orlando to the coast is the same distance as downtown Houston is from the coast. That's a fact. If Orlando was to expand from 100 to over 650 square miles as Houston has it would have city limits that touch the coast. The issue is the overwhelming majority of people in Houston live at least 40 miles from the nearest beach and some live more than 90 miles. Plus the 40 miles leading to Galveston are pretty rural/undeveloped. If you want to believe Houston is a coastal city in the way Miami, SF, LA, NY, and Boston area coastal cities go ahead, but I see Houston like Orlando not far from the coast but not a coastal city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City