Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2013, 02:14 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,863,499 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
That's a huge lot? It's like 30 parking spots. Go read my post from about 5 pages ago. I said between 20 spots at Forest Glen. Show me a huge parking lot. Bethesda, Silver Spring, Ballston, Rosslyn, Pentagon City, Crystal City, etc... Forest Glen is not urban. It's in a residential neighborhood. LLS This is comical.
There are like 200 parking spots (that being a very conservative estimate), what are you looking at? One row has 30 spots.

Do you not see the massive parking lot to the north west of the station?

Here is the link again, take a second look: http://goo.gl/maps/xaHXK

And just to clarify that big parking lot is Metro-owned: http://goo.gl/maps/S82W
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2013, 02:15 PM

572 posts, read 709,341 times
Haha that's about it. That's not a lot for a metro of 7 million.

3,291 posts, read 2,775,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiVegas View Post
Why is the burden of proof on me? You are the one claiming that no one drives or parks in the suburbs. If you make an outlandish claim, the burden is on you to prove that Northern VA doesn't use cars or parking.

Go to Braddock Road yourself, park there, and find out. It's just east of the station.
LOL - you lose. If there was one you would find out where it is, but you can't because there isn't one. Sorry buddy.

110 posts, read 145,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
I know you don't work in this profession so I will explain how it works. Zoning laws are designed to dictate what must be included in a building. Buildings have a certain required amount of parking that is included for every building constructed unless they receive a variance that says they don't need to include parking. Office buildings then fill the left over parking spaces with visitors to that prospective downtown since very few garages are ever full from actual office workers. Zoning codes are very outdated and they are being rewritten across the nation right now.
Zoning codes or not the fact remains that the office parks around DC have them and are utilized quite heavily.

5,347 posts, read 10,164,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmsTown View Post
Who's comparing it to Manhattan? These places aren't even Evanston or Pasadena.

Rossyln dies after 6 pm. What are you talking about? I'll give you Clarendon. That's it. Ballston gets pretty damn quiet after 6 pm too.
So Silver Spring is not vibrant for a suburb? Bethesda is not? Evanston can't compete with DC suburbs for TOD.

Old 12-16-2013, 02:16 PM

No, but Evanston is more active. So is Pasadena, downtown Santa Monica, etc. TOD isn't everything.

Old 12-16-2013, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
So Silver Spring is not vibrant for a suburb? Bethesda is not? Evanston can't compete with DC suburbs for TOD.
How vibrant is Bethesda outside of metro stops? Lol. I've been there many times. A place like Santa Monica is more than just a few blocks in it's downtown area.

Old 12-16-2013, 02:17 PM

1,612 posts, read 2,422,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzrovian View Post
The only one making idiotic statements is you. You obviously don't know the first thing about any of these places. You've probably looked up the shopping mall websites and assumed they must be great because they have a Neiman Marcus. Some of the biggest and best malls in the NYC area attract a huge influx of ghetto crowd.
No, actually, I used to live close to White Plains, and I think it's hilarious that you think Saks and Neiman Marcus and the Ritz Carlton and multimillion condos "attract a huge influx of ghetto crowd", while simultaneously claiming that the rundown Ballston Common mall in Ballston, with the closed Sears and rundown food court, is very upscale.
Quote:
New Rochelle has one nice, modern apt building - Trump Tower. Its retail district is run-down and dilapidated. Stamford is not much better (though its mall is fairly decent).
No, New Rochelle has many nice, modern apartment buildings. Trump Tower is not even a regular apartment building, and is not the largest or newest. Retail in New Rochelle is vastly better than in Ballston or Bethesda (Bethesda barely has retail to even compete).

And Stamford? They're building 10,000 apartments in one development alone. Stamford blows anything in DC out of the water. They have the world's largest hedge fund, the world's largest trading floor, etc.

Quote:
As for White Plains - it has better housing stock downtown and, as I said, it is probably the closest you are gonna get in the NY metro to a Bethesda, but it's still not as nice. Its malls attract a lot of trashy people from surrounding towns (Yonkers, Mt Vernon, etc); its restaurant scene is not nearly as nice; and it doesn't have as many luxury, amenity-laden apt buildings.
This is all wrong. White Plains has more luxury type apartment buildings than Ballston or Bethesda, has far more restaurants and shopping, and does not attract lots of trashy people. You're just making up stuff because you got caught finding that NYC area does have more urban suburbs, then whatever urban suburb I name you will automatically call "ghetto" to disqualify.

How about these suburbs? All nicer than Bethesda or Ballston, all have lots of nice apartments, restaurants and the like, and I'm only looking at Westchester and Fairfield counties. Are you going to claim these are too ghetto too?

Greenwich
Darien
Westport
New Canaan
Rye
Scarsdale
Hartsdale
Larchmont
Mamaroneck
Bronxville
Tuckahoe
Dobbs Ferry
Pelham
Tarrytown
Hastings

Old 12-16-2013, 02:18 PM

5,347 posts, read 10,164,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
There are like 200 parking spots (that being a very conservative estimate), what are you looking at? One row has 30 spots.

Do you not see the massive parking lot to the north west of the station?

Here is the link again, take a second look: http://goo.gl/maps/xaHXK

And just to clarify that big parking lot is Metro-owned: http://goo.gl/maps/S82W
I couldn't see your pic fully. Forest Glen is a residential station. I will give you that. It has parking spots. But 200 is not a lot. Now show me Silver Spring, Bethesda, and the rest that are in question. Forest Glen is not TOD.

Old 12-16-2013, 02:19 PM

13,728 posts, read 15,768,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmsTown View Post
Nobody goes to these places after work hours. Go to Rossyln and Crystal City lol. There's nobody there!
There's hardly anyone in Ballston. Arlington gets so quiet when nobody is coming to and from work. You would think with their residential density around the metro stops, these places would always be vibrant.

THIS ISN'T TRUE AT ALL.

The D.C. proper core is more vibrant and way more urban than any area anywhere in L.A.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City