Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2014, 06:25 AM

20,516 posts, read 33,561,459 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brainyfashionista View Post
I'm going to assume you're from Houston. Being in denial won't change the facts.
You know what that they say about assuming.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2014, 06:36 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,758,146 times
Man, this thread seems to be bringing out the morons on CD.

First off, if you think Houston, Dallas, and Atlanta aren't progressive, I would invite you to join reality. One has an openly gay mayor, the other an openly gay (county wide) sheriff, and the other is one of the biggest gay meccas in the US. But ok, lets throw out the gay acceptance thing and look for other things. Houston is probably the most racially harmonious major metro area in the US. Dallas, more so than any other city in the US in my opinion, is CONSTANTLY looking for ways to better itself for its residents. The amount of projects that go on in Dallas is absolutely insane. If that isn't progressive, I don't know what is. Like Houston, Dallas is also extremely diverse albeit not quite to the same degree.

Does that mean these three are the most liberal politically? No, but progressive should encompass more than that.

The problem is that people are clinging to stereotypes. People love to have opinions on things they are clueless about. That certainly seems to be the case in this thread.

Also, as for Oakland being one of the least progressive, ridiculous. Oakland is its own entity from San Fran the same way Fort Worth is from Dallas even if they are part of the same metro area.

Old 01-28-2014, 08:55 AM

29 posts, read 40,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post

First off, if you think Houston, Dallas, and Atlanta aren't progressive, I would invite you to join reality. One has an openly gay mayor, the other an openly gay (county wide) sheriff, and the other is one of the biggest gay meccas in the US. But ok, lets throw out the gay acceptance thing and look for other things. Houston is probably the most racially harmonious major metro area in the US. Dallas, more so than any other city in the US in my opinion, is CONSTANTLY looking for ways to better itself for its residents. The amount of projects that go on in Dallas is absolutely insane. If that isn't progressive, I don't know what is. Like Houston, Dallas is also extremely diverse albeit not quite to the same degree.

Does that mean these three are the most liberal politically? No, but progressive should encompass more than that.

The problem is that people are clinging to stereotypes. People love to have opinions on things they are clueless about. That certainly seems to be the case in this thread.

Also, as for Oakland being one of the least progressive, ridiculous. Oakland is its own entity from San Fran the same way Fort Worth is from Dallas even if they are part of the same metro area.
Oh so because a city elects gay politicians it makes it progressive? Please. Houston just forced a policy on their public housing that anyone who smokes in their own home will be evicted. Talk about progressive. They're going to force low income and elderly on the street for smoking a legal cigarette in their own home. This is Houston's idea of progressive. Bullying on the poor and elderly in efforts to"help" them and promote public health. Progressive would be more like passing a law that made EVERY apartment complex in the city ban smoking in apartments due to public health concerns. But people dare not do that, it would ***** off developers and big business.

Like I said, these places are far from progressive. I won't even elaborate on the illegal dumping in Houston. I drive by places and I'm disgusted. The city does nothing to enforce these laws. There is absolutely nothing progressive about these places. I will say ATL is a bit more progressive than Houston and Dallas.

Old 01-28-2014, 08:58 AM

215 posts, read 379,351 times
Quote:

What about the accents and pick up trucks?

Old 01-28-2014, 09:00 AM

[quote=Spade;33215066]You know what that they say about assuming.[/QUOT

No I don't. I don't know anyone by the name of "they". Please enlighten me.

Old 01-28-2014, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lunatic & A Therapist View Post
What about them?

Old 01-28-2014, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brainyfashionista View Post
Oh so because a city elects gay politicians it makes it progressive? Please. Houston just forced a policy on their public housing that anyone who smokes in their own home will be evicted. Talk about progressive. They're going to force low income and elderly on the street for smoking a legal cigarette in their own home. This is Houston's idea of progressive. Bullying on the poor and elderly in efforts to"help" them and promote public health. Progressive would be more like passing a law that made EVERY apartment complex in the city ban smoking in apartments due to public health concerns. But people dare not do that, it would ***** off developers and big business.

Like I said, these places are far from progressive. I won't even elaborate on the illegal dumping in Houston. I drive by places and I'm disgusted. The city does nothing to enforce these laws. There is absolutely nothing progressive about these places. I will say ATL is a bit more progressive than Houston and Dallas.
So Houston isnt progressive because its dirty? Man, I bet Los Angeles cant wait to find out how conservative it is!

Actually enforcing a policy on people who smoke in public housing is liberal (ie big government), not conservative.

Public dumping? Please. Thats a problem in Houston, but its a problem everywhere. I grew up in the LA area and its certainly a problem there. Its a problem in the industrial Midwest, Texas, the South, the Northeast, everywhere.

It sounds like you dont get around much.

Old 01-28-2014, 09:24 AM

Quote:
So Houston isnt progressive because its dirty? Man, I bet Los Angeles cant wait to find out how conservative it is!

Actually enforcing a policy on people who smoke in public housing is liberal (ie big government), not conservative.

Public dumping? Please. Thats a problem in Houston, but its a problem everywhere. I grew up in the LA area and its certainly a problem there. Its a problem in the industrial Midwest, Texas, the South, the Northeast, everywhere.

It sounds like you dont get around much.
I've lived in Houston, Miami, Atlanta, Argentina, and NYC. I certainly don't get around much. Enforcing a policy strictly on people who smoke in public housing as a public health concern but not enforcing the policy on ALL apartment buildings in the city is not liberal. It's the details of the policy being enforced that's the issue. Not the policy itself. If you knew anything about policy you would know that. I never said other cities didn't have an issue with dumping, it's the enforcement of laws on dumping that Houston lack. You sound like you don't know much.

Old 01-28-2014, 09:38 AM

5,993 posts, read 10,197,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lunatic & A Therapist View Post
The pickups are insured by Progressive.

Old 01-28-2014, 09:51 AM

20,516 posts, read 33,561,459 times
[quote=brainyfashionista;33217115]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
You know what that they say about assuming.[/QUOT

No I don't. I don't know anyone by the name of "they". Please enlighten me.
Click the link.
Urban Dictionary: assume
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City