Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2014, 01:02 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,288,860 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
Of course it has, but as I mentioned several times, stacked up with cities in it's same caliber, i.e. metros of 5m plus, it would be bottom of the barrel. If Houston wants to be a so called "global" city it can't keep competing with regional cities like Memphis, Bham or San Antonio. That is why I say for a big city, it's moderate at best.
So? Someone has to be at the bottom. It's not going to be every city fighting for #1. Has Philly or Chicago progressed as much as Houston, Atlanta, or Dallas in the past 50 years?

What on Earth are you bringing Memphis and Birmingham into this for? Houston doesn't compete with any of those, they would merely be one side of the metro.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2014, 01:04 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,498,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
Ok, but again that wasnt the topic. If someone created a thread that said: "Take all metros over 5 million and rank the most conservative", then I would agree that DFW, Houston, and Atlanta would be numbers two, three, and four (I think Detroit is actually more conservative than both despite voting blue). However, those were not the specifications.
So we agree, I didn't feel it necessary to stick to the topic of a banned troll account as he wasn't ever that specific to begin with...

Old 01-28-2014, 01:04 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,288,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lunatic & A Therapist View Post
If you don't care what I think then stop quoting me, Dallas homer! Right now a guy in Dallas is buying a ford f350 Chevy pick up to drive it all over the DFW metroplex and will live up to the stereotype!
A guy in Fremont did the same.

Old 01-28-2014, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
So? Someone has to be at the bottom. It's not going to be every city fighting for #1. Has Philly or Chicago progressed as much as Houston, Atlanta, or Dallas in the past 50 years?

What on Earth are you bringing Memphis and Birmingham into this for? Houston doesn't compete with any of those, they would merely be one side of the metro.
I would say yes, especially on social policies, both cities have also had booms and were already cities of the 18th and 19th centuries. Eventually the growth of Houston, Atlanta and Dallas will also stop and have to deal with problems of fast growth such as crime/traffic/long term effects. 50 years ago those cities still had colored drinking fountains so if you are starting last in the race and move up, I'm not sure it's a victory.

Old 01-28-2014, 01:07 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,730,434 times
Quote:
So we agree, I didn't feel it necessary to stick to the topic of a banned troll account as he wasn't ever that specific to begin with...
Bear in mind, the post you responded to from me was in regarding to progressive politics.

If were talking about a city being progressive in a sense of constantly building, constant new projects, constantly looking for ways to add ammenities to itself, etc. Dallas is close to the top of the list.

Old 01-28-2014, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Bear in mind, the post you responded to from me was in regarding to progressive politics.

If were talking about a city being progressive in a sense of constantly building, constant new projects, constantly looking for ways to add ammenities to itself, etc. Dallas is close to the top of the list.
Of course, no one can deny the huge growth of not just Dallas but Texas in general.

Old 01-28-2014, 01:23 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,730,434 times
Quote:
Of course, no one can deny the huge growth of not just Dallas but Texas in general.
But even then, Dallas stands out compared to Houston or other Texas/Southern/Anywhere cities. The ambition of the city is insane. Granted, sometimes it doesnt work out but they are constantly trying new things.

Old 01-28-2014, 01:53 PM

215 posts, read 378,749 times
Quote:
But even then, Dallas stands out compared to Houston or other Texas/Southern/Anywhere cities. The ambition of the city is insane. Granted, sometimes it doesnt work out but they are constantly trying new things.
The main draw to Dallas is the col, let them have the col of Seattle, Philly, Boston, etc and then see how many ppl move to DFW!

Old 01-28-2014, 02:25 PM

29 posts, read 40,449 times
[quote=Spade;33221054]
Quote:
Originally Posted by brainyfashionista View Post

Keep up. You ASSuMEd. Now look closely at the word and see why I said that. Next time, get the facts about a person before you assume anything. You thought I was from Houston. You would be entirely wrong.
Would be or was I?

Old 01-28-2014, 02:46 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,516,731 times
[quote=brainyfashionista;33223001]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post

Would be or was I?
Quit playing games.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City