Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2014, 12:24 AM

2,330 posts, read 3,814,451 times

Advertisements

Do you guys really not know what progressivism is!?!? I think the Dixie booster club needs to go to poli-sci class. It is shorthand for left wing reformist politics that was traditionally centered around curbing the excesses laissez faire capitalism. When places are being discussed in terms of progressivism that is generally what it is about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2014, 08:11 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,805,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lunatic & A Therapist View Post
IDC if you believe me. Why should I? I never said anything about "liberal" either so don't put words in my mouth. I stand by my statement. Dallas is everything I mentioned - redneck accents, pick up trucks, cowboy hats, cowboy boots, AYCE restaurants everywhere, big bellies, etc. I moved to Dallas from the NE and felt like Joe Pesci in My Cousin Vinny! You can stomp, whine, complain, make excuses and cry all day long but it is not going to change my opinion. Hey, I'm not willing to deal with rednecks for the low COL, maybe others are though.
So you think Joe Peci character in My Cousin Vinnie was a model of progressiveness?.You have odd opinions that seem remarkably limited.

So I guess Joe Pesci is you:
Two Yutes - YouTube

Old 01-29-2014, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brainyfashionista View Post
San Francisco,Miami, NYC, DC and Austin -Most Progressive

Houston, Dallas, Atlanta-Least Progressive

With the exception of Austin, I don't think there are any cities in the "south" that are progressive (I've lived in Hou and ATL) I don't consider Miami a "southern" city.
So how are they more progressive than ATL,DAL and Hou?
Because if you go by history D.C. having a crackhead mayor,NYC city going almost bankrupt twice,and implementing stop and frisk policies are not great examples of being progressive.

Old 01-29-2014, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brainyfashionista View Post
Oh so because a city elects gay politicians it makes it progressive? Please. Houston just forced a policy on their public housing that anyone who smokes in their own home will be evicted. Talk about progressive. They're going to force low income and elderly on the street for smoking a legal cigarette in their own home. This is Houston's idea of progressive. Bullying on the poor and elderly in efforts to"help" them and promote public health. Progressive would be more like passing a law that made EVERY apartment complex in the city ban smoking in apartments due to public health concerns. But people dare not do that, it would ***** off developers and big business.

Like I said, these places are far from progressive. I won't even elaborate on the illegal dumping in Houston. I drive by places and I'm disgusted. The city does nothing to enforce these laws. There is absolutely nothing progressive about these places. I will say ATL is a bit more progressive than Houston and Dallas.
Have you read about the controversial policies involving the homeless in San Francisco?(one of your models of progressiveness).Or how about NYC trying to a ban on sugary drinks?

Old 01-29-2014, 08:24 PM

Quote:
How can a place be labeled progressive with those things. All you can eat BBQ joints everywhere etc......
You are just trolling.

Old 01-29-2014, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
Ok, but again that wasnt the topic. If someone created a thread that said: "Take all metros over 5 million and rank the most conservative", then I would agree that DFW, Houston, and Atlanta would be numbers two, three, and four (I think Detroit is actually more conservative than both despite voting blue). However, those were not the specifications.
How ould Atlanta be the most conservative?Because its in the South with Houston and Dallas?Atlanta has the most deviated history from the other two by far.

Old 01-29-2014, 08:37 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,758,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
How ould Atlanta be the most conservative?Because its in the South with Houston and Dallas?Atlanta has the most deviated history from the other two by far.
It isn't. Atlanta, Houston, and Dallas are about the same.

Old 01-29-2014, 08:51 PM

215 posts, read 379,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
You are just trolling.
What I consider "the truth" is what others consider "trolling". Feel free to think whatever about any of my posts, just be aware your opinion is worthless to me. I will never quote or read any of your posts again on this site.

Old 01-29-2014, 08:54 PM

215 posts, read 379,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
It isn't. Atlanta, Houston, and Dallas are about the same.
I would say Atlanta is the most country/least progressive/most southern of the three.

Old 01-29-2014, 09:00 PM

Quote:
What I consider "the truth" is what others consider "trolling". Feel free to think whatever about any of my posts, just be aware your opinion is worthless to me. I will never quote or read any of your posts again on this site.
You are reading this now.And yes you gain pleasure in trolling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City