Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2014, 01:21 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,805,481 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
Nah, he made his point and I made mine. Im willing to let it stand at that if he is. Its the Houston vs. Atlanta threads that get out of hand. The Dallas vs. Atlanta threads tend to be more civil.

Agreed. I see Dallas (in many regards) as a Great Plains version of Atlanta. Or you could say Atlanta is a Southeastern version of Atlanta in many ways. They have differences (history, demographics, etc.), but they are both really cool cities in my opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2014, 01:26 PM

1,445 posts, read 2,322,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorman View Post
Cincinnati: Kroger, Procter & Gamble, Macy's, Fifth Third Bancorp, AK Steel Corp, Western & Southern Financial Group, Ashland Oil, General Cable Corp, Omnicare, American Financial.
Yes... 10.

Old 06-10-2014, 03:28 PM

12 posts, read 23,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brainyfashionista View Post
Historically, South Florida was never apart of the "deep south". While it is "south" physically. Miami does not have the traditional southern culture. And it's definitely not apart of the "Bible Belt" like most southern cities. Austin is way more progressive than Houston. Just because Houston voted a lesbian mayor into office doesn't make it progressive. She is a very huge supporter of "Big Business" and developers. Houston is not as conservative as the rest of Texas, but it is conservative in comparison to other cities. If we were to just look at the cities in the state of Texas, then yes, Houston would be one of the more progressive cities. But overall, in comparison to other cities across the country, no.
You do not know what you are talking about? Histrocially south Florida has always been the south. Miami does have traditional southern culture. Florida Heartland is in South Florida, and Florida Heartland is like the deep south.

Old 06-10-2014, 09:49 PM

9,686 posts, read 9,409,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainHowdy1 View Post
You do not know what you are talking about? Histrocially south Florida has always been the south. Miami does have traditional southern culture. Florida Heartland is in South Florida, and Florida Heartland is like the deep south.
Just came back from a trip to Florida. What I noticed:

The northern part of the state, including the panhandle all the way down to Orlando was very deep south in every way imaginable. Gainesville, Ocala, Lake city etc. were all very southern in culture, speech, environment, and might as well be in Georgia. I even saw big trucks with rebel flags and many fruit, nut, and preserve signs all along the interstate. Didn't get to visit Orlando this time, but when I did, I noticed very few southern traits about it besides the sprawl and strip malls. It was international, touristy, and very crowded. Tampa, Sarasota, Naples, all the way down to Miami, had nothing southern about them at all. The accents were a mixture of northeastern transplants, a much older population, and plenty of attitude. Orlando and down, southern culture is pretty much washed out.

Old 06-10-2014, 09:56 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,982,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeShoreSoxGo View Post
Progressive = Embrace change-even if it makes absolutely no sense.
Conservative= Embrace tradition- even if it is quite antiquated
I agree with this.

Conservative - New Orleans, Memphis, Savannah, Phoenix, Oklahoma City, Birmingham

Progressive - Pittsburgh, Dallas, Austin, Minneapolis, Denver.

Old 06-10-2014, 11:10 PM

21,481 posts, read 10,585,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Umm, if you think Houston is one of the most progressive cities, yet New Orleans crowned one of the least, I have to question your thinking...?
The criteria was set that progressive meant willing to embrace change, and least progressive were cities that don't want to change. I can't think of a more progressive city than Houston as it's constantly changing. I've lived here most of my life, and nothing stays the same. New Orleans loves it's past, and the past history is what's so charming about New Orleans. Houston could care less what happened 100 years ago in the city. They never try to save old buildings (much to my chagrin). The only thing they seem to want to hold onto is that stupid Astrodome that's just sitting there taking up space and falling apart.

Old 06-10-2014, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brainyfashionista View Post
I've lived in Houston, Miami, Atlanta, Argentina, and NYC. I certainly don't get around much. Enforcing a policy strictly on people who smoke in public housing as a public health concern but not enforcing the policy on ALL apartment buildings in the city is not liberal. It's the details of the policy being enforced that's the issue. Not the policy itself. If you knew anything about policy you would know that. I never said other cities didn't have an issue with dumping, it's the enforcement of laws on dumping that Houston lack. You sound like you don't know much.
You do realize that public housing is owned by the government, right? It seems that it would be much easier to enforce the policy on government-owned housing than forcing private property owners to do so. The people living in public housing are living there with assistance from the government, therefore the government can tell them to smoke outside and not in "their" apartment. I'm not saying it's necessarily right, but people are all better off for it. I remember the vulnerability of living in apartments with no control over people who share the same walls with you. If they fall asleep smoking, you're at risk. If you share the same ventilation system with a smoker, you're getting second-hand smoke. Don't worry, Houston is getting progressive enough to start nanny-stating things like smoking in private apartments too. I'm sure it will be next on the list now that any gender can use any public restroom they wish (or until court challenge anyway).

Old 06-11-2014, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
No. They aren't. Atlanta, Houston and Dallas want to play with the big boys so they need to play in their own weight class, not vs Charlotte or Memphis or other mid tier Southern burgs but National and Global western cities... They'd rank at the bottom in their weight class in the last 3 slots of 5m + metros in the U.S. / Canada. They would also be behind cities below their weight class such as Seattle or Minneapolis.
Thank God! I don't want to be in that same weight class if it means $15.00 minimum wage (double the national minimum wage and sure to lose lots of jobs), or electing an actual communist to City Council, who wants the citizens to take over Boeing by force.

Old 06-11-2014, 12:35 AM

1,028 posts, read 1,444,430 times
Progressive new south city's on the rise
Charlotte, Nashville, Raleigh, Austin

These city's that are being quite progressive and making names for themselves but tend to get over looked quickly as soon as someone brings up Atlanta, Houston, Dallas, into the picture. seriously if u all want to have a pissing match then start another thread.

Old 06-11-2014, 02:11 AM

5,802 posts, read 9,899,754 times
Pittsburgh and Philadelphia while they try/want to be more progressive on a local level...Fact remains that Pennsylvania has to be one of the least Progressive States in the Northeast, if not the Union. This cripples Philly and the Burgh's ability to adapt/embrace change as easily/seamless as Big Cities in more progressive states or at least states that don't try to undermine/demonize their Big Cities at every turn.

For instance Pittsburgh is currently going to through a tough uphill slog with Ride Sharing services such as Uber and Lyft because of draconian Pennsylvania PUC laws that were drawn to protect the monopoly of cab companies. This is even though the Mayor, City and County fully support Ride Sharing. Yes PA has LGBT Marriage now, but if the current Governor wasn't as widely unpopular as he is, the fact he cannot afford any amount of backlash right now; I fully believe he would have been appealing the overturn of the law left and right. This is a governor who compares Homosexuality to that of Incest.

So much of Pittsburgh and Philadelphia governance has a state hand in the pot, that it is Really Tough for these cities to be as progressive as they set out to be when the State goes sharply in the other direction. Until Pennsylvania either rewrites many of its laws giving localities more control over their own laws, or the State becomes more "Progressive" there will always be that proverbial ceiling in "Progressive-ness" for the Burgh and Philly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City